• This topic has 24 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Dropper posts
  • jk1980
    Free Member

I really know nothing about these so I’m hoping someone can help….

As I understand, you use the lever and then control when the post stops moving up/down with your body, meaning the post can be in an infinite number of positions. This isn’t what I want, I’d rather have a post that could be in 2 pre set positions, either fully down for downhill or up high for uphill. Does such a product exist?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Gravity Dropper

Cheaper Ebay version T-mars iirc

Tracker1972
    Free Member

You don’t set the positions on a gravity dropper if that is what you want though…

TooTall
    Free Member

Would using the whole range of a dropper post be all that different from what you are asking for? For any post, you’d squeeze a lever and apply pressure for it to go down, and squeeze a lever and take the pressure off for it to go up.

jk1980
    Free Member

Yep pre set positions is what I’m after. Click a lever and its down. Click another lever and its up high again. Can that be done with any of the dropper posts?

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes still the gravity dropper and the copy on ebay
    You pressthe lever, you sit on the seat, it goes down you release the lever and it is down. reverse procedure to return to top

It has two positions up and down

legend
    Free Member

that’s what you’d do with any post. E.g. Reverb, push lever, sit, endstop. Push level, stand, endtop. You only use the positions inbetween if you want to.

There’s no post out there that goes down without your arse putting it there

rentachimp
    Free Member

I have a reverb, and I can sympathise as I often feel “where is it now?”, and drop it too far on occasion.
    What you’re looking for is the Fox Doss dropper.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

What’s the problem with just having a Reverb? I always run it either all the way up or all the way down, never in the middle. Press the button and sit on the saddle to drop it and press the button to raise. There’s nothing to it.

jk1980
    Free Member

Ok so am I able to set any of these posts to my preferred maximum when installing the post? Eg its maximum may be 300mm out of the frame, but can I set it so that its absolute maximum out of the frame is 260mm for example?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

with a gravity dropper and the ice/tmas copies you can preset new positions with a drill and trying to mask the existing holes if you want.

jk1980
    Free Member

Thanks for the help I think I get it now. Gravity dropper and fox seem to have the option of fixed positions, reverb does not.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

You can get the Enduro collar for a Reverb to limit the drop if you want. But I don’t really see the point tbh.

jk1980
    Free Member

Thanks…limiting the drop is really not a concern, I would want it fully dropped if doing downhill. It’s limiting how far it goes up that’s the concern

Junkyard
    Free Member

Ok so am I able to set any of these posts to my preferred maximum when installing the post? Eg its maximum may be 300mm out of the frame, but can I set it so that its absolute maximum out of the frame is 260mm for example?

Not really without hacking it as the minimum is the length of the drop and gubbins
    As said you could drill a new hole but IIRC GD tended to break on the 1 ” drop version as it weakens the post and they advise that this is not used for constant height
    My 4 ” drop GD requires about 5 ” at a guess out

Simon

How far it goes up is dictated by how far the post is inserted into the frame.

Simon

As said you could drill a new hole but IIRC GD tended to break on the 1 ” drop version as it weakens the post and they advise that this is not used for constant height

Supposed to be less chance of failure if you use it backwards, ie with the Turbo unit to the rear, gives a better cable routing too IMO.

iainc

When reverb is fully up it will be at exactly the Max height you want it, based on where you set the seat post clamp, same as a normal seatpost

jk1980
    Free Member

Thanks…not sure in general that they’re going to work for me having considered these replies. I see they only offer around a 125mm drop, which doesn’t seem enough. I currently carry out a manual drop (with a QR) of at a guess 250mm. That’s just a guess, I will measure when I get home, but I use most of my 400mm post for uphill but then probably only have 10% of it out for downhills

legend
    Free Member

yup, Reverbs (or any other post) don’t give the level of movement I want, that’s the compromise you’ve got to take if you want to be able to shift your seatpost on the move

Euro
    Free Member

Specialized command post has 3 settings. Up (125mm), almost up (100mm) and down (0mm).

125mm isn’t a huge amount of a drop if you’re tall, but for for general trail riding it’s fine. I generally have about 40-50mm of the post showing (+125mm when up) but slam it when doing DH/jumpy stuff.

chiefgrooveguru

Looking at the seats on pro DH bikes they’re not that low – I doubt many are more than 5″ lower than XC height. But that’s a lot higher than DJ height.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Have a look at what you actually use, when you drop 250mm of post how much do you need to drop? I have a 150mm Lev and it’s enough to get it right out of the way. put a bit of tape 150mm down your post and try just dropping it to there and see how you go, by the sounds of the amount of post your running it’s a very low frame? You can always combine Dropper & QR for the bits you want massive drop (if it’s not that often.)

b45her
    Free Member

the troll is strong in this thread.

JoeG
    Free Member

What the OP wants is a RASE Black Mamba.

But they weren’t available over a year ago when I was looking, and their website still talks about a 2012 release date…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Dropper posts’ is closed to new replies.