Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Dropbox issues, fix/help..anyone?
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

We’ve a Club Dropbox folder for all our poncy photos of us gurning and wearing caps backwards, a few bikes and hipster coffee emporiums, selfies and winding road landscapes and obvs “ohh New Shoes” shots.
    Must have been about 600 + photos in there..

Now they’re all Gawn.
    Dissipated.
    Disappeared.
    Are No More.
    Bereft of Digital Pixels.
    No more “New Shoes”
    Gurning, Gawn.

How on earth do I get em’ all back?

If someone says “did you back em’ up eh?” then I reserve the right to apply for a seat in that “Rocket To The Sun” Harry the Spider is having built. A One Way Ticket, no coming back from that journey.. Ohhh no Sireeeeee..

Help appreciated, you will be on my Xmas Card list.

Ta

jam-bo

dropbox has versioning. you should be able to ‘undelete’ them.

and find out who deleted them.

edit: free version retains deleted files for 30 days

bikebouy
    Free Member

Does it now..

Innnnnteresting… So I should be able to “roll back” then grab them all back.

Then fire the nitwit who deleted them into the Sun..

Great.

Ta.

wwaswas

If someone has a local dropbox folder with them all in and deletes the folder the remote versions go to.

bikebouy
    Free Member

That Sir is not good news. ^ 😕

That reads like “If I had the local folder and deleted it, by accident, then the remote Cloud one gets deleted too”

Well, it wasn’t me.

I’m still booking the seat with HTS… 😉

jam-bo

I believe the owner of the shared folder can control the access rights of sharers to prevent this happening.

Cougar

If someone says “did you back em’ up eh?” then I reserve the right to apply for a seat in that “Rocket To The Sun” Harry the Spider is having built. A One Way Ticket, no coming back from that journey.. Ohhh no Sireeeeee..

Are you going to learn from your mistakes and back them up in future, then?

euain

Comments above about versions still apply – go to the Dropbox web interface and you should be able to get them back.

Yes – you delete them and they go for everyone (that’s what Dropbox does, synchronises the changes) – but you can bring them back.

wwaswas

“If I had the local folder and deleted it, by accident, then the remote Cloud one gets deleted too”

basically.

The point is that the dropbox app mirrors the local folders across multiple devices/users so deletion on one is reflected in all the others.

If you want to avoid this use permissions or just use the web interface for those that you share the folder with rather thaqn them downloading copies locally through the app.

But, as Cougar says keeping either two copies on Dropbox (one not shared at all) or backed up to another location is probably best.

euain

Just go to the website and click on the “Deleted Files” icon and bring them back.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Dropbox issues, fix/help..anyone?’ is closed to new replies.