Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Dropbox – Corporate Use
  • xiphon
    Free Member

If you haven’t got the solution you need, you can’t just do whatever you want. You need to escalate it.

You clearly work for a company where budget is unlimited.

A solution might already be available, but can’t afford to buy it (or justify buying it)

We need a proper storage solution, for our ever-increasing library of virtual images. A NAS chassis with loads of disks, sata controllers, RAM and RAID-Z storage would be the solution. Probably cost around £1.5k to deploy.

The most I can “buy” is a couple of 2TB disks, and install them in a 6 year old retired server, running FreeNAS.

surfer
    Free Member

The IT dept. don’t like Dropbox, but as I have nothing to do with said data and they haven’t provided anything that does the job even remotely as well, we’re still using it.

I dont like our companies policy on expenses so I just help myself to the petty cash. Their fault if they cant provide a solution I like shirly! 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

Probably cost around £1.5k to deploy.

Change the ‘k’ to an ‘M’ and that’s what ours cost 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

A solution might already be available, but can’t afford to buy it

Well ok, but as you say you could manage something with pretty limited expenditure. For the cost of a MD’s Merc you could do something pretty decent.

xiphon
    Free Member

From working in small companies all my career, I’ve learned to be “resourceful” – i.e. extensive use of freeware/open source software, and recycling old hardware!

@molgrips If a system “works” without the MD needing to sell their company car, why would the MD change it?

Our MD dropped £80k on a new top-spec Beemer, while the latest “IT equipment” in the company was 8 years old. Frustrating is an understatement! (Although you quickly learn that if the MD doesn’t care, why should you?)

molgrips
    Free Member

@molgrips If a system “works” without the MD needing to sell their company car, why would the MD change it?

It’s his job to listen to his expert staff. Of course, many don’t. The lure of shiny cars etc is too great I reckon.

clubber
    Free Member

The problem here is that a solution may work until it doesn’t – eg dropbox works perfectly. Until one of your employees loses his smart phone which he doesn’t lock and someone finds a load of confidential documents on it that they put out in the public domain causing an economic/global meltdown and eventually WW3 😉

Unlikely maybe but the business just needs their eyes open. Tell them they can use dropbox but that these are the risks and are they willing to take them. If not, then they should be the ones doing something about it, be that banning people from using it or giving a budget to provide a tool that matches the security/etc requirements.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yep. Especially if one of your clients is governemnt or themselves work with government, and there are rules about storing your data on overseas servers, which I assume includes Dropbox.

brassneck

Ah, found it!

TRANSPORTER

.. looks to be cheap enough for more or less anyone, if slightly limited in storage. Buy another I guess.

surfer
    Free Member

So another form of storage then?

Not sure what they have created there?

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Dropbox – Corporate Use’ is closed to new replies.