Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Drop handle bikes with discs
  • stufield
    Free Member

Anyone got one of these:

Kona Sutra
    Genesis Croix De Fer
    Cotic Roadrat Short

Looking to move some bits from my old dawes to build commuter / general riding with kids bike and was wondering whether to save myself the hassle and consider one of the first 2?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Tick.

I’m fed up of the mini V brakes on my Tricross, so I’m looking for a disc compatible road frame that will takes racks and fenders.

druidh
    Free Member

Sutra?

What do you want to know?

druidh
    Free Member

Oh – there’s one for sale in the classifieds (not mine)

Halfbike

I have a Roadrat short (in fact I had the first Roadrat short – not much of a claim to fame I guess!), and I love it – not amazingly light, but really fun to ride and I use it all winter as my nightride bike. Its properly quick, and although the brakes are a pain the arse to set up right (the front one particularly), once you get them right, you won’t go back to cantis. Ever.

More piccies here:

Roadrat6.jpg

geoffj

I like the look for the Croix de Fer, but it gets proper panning in the roadie reviews 🙁

Another option is the Kona Dew with Drops.

Halfbike

If you win the lottery, or have a granny you can sell, you could always consider one of these:

Web blurb here:

http://www.cycles-for-heroes.com/bikes/cyclocross/pure-blood

Best looking cross bike ever?

Onzadog
    Free Member

stick a basket on the front for t’whippet an’ I’ll take it!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Actually, I’m really liking the Gunnar Fastlane. If it was aluminium, it would be perfect.

druidh
    Free Member

There’s a new Marin out this year – can’t remember what it’s called.

I love my Sutra, but she’s a heavy old bird. While this is great for stability, I’d probably be looking for something a bit lighter if I was buying now. The Dew Drops would be worth looking at.

billyboy
    Free Member

456’s have rack mounts and will go places drop handlebars will not take you. Granted you won’t go as fast on road but that might just increase your lifespan.

Onzadog
    Free Member

druidh, do you mean the Toscana from marin? That looks quite interesting. Am I allowed to say that about a Marin in here?

druidh
    Free Member

Aye – the Toscana. Looks nice (in photos at least)

james-o
    Free Member

“I like the look for the Croix de Fer, but it gets proper panning in the roadie reviews”

where? we’ve not had one reviewed yet?

CountZero

I agree with druidh, I’ve got a Sutra, the first preproduction one that came over for the bike shows; crap paint and a BB shell that was oval! Great bike, but as has been said, pretty heavy. It is designed as a tough tourer, so that’s not surprising. I’ve singlespeeded mine, hand sprayed it Hammerite black, and put on a pair of Profile Aerobars, with bar-end levers and Crosstop levers, Maxxis CX tyres and mudguards for winter use. It’s been brilliant, the amount of salt put down on the roads collects in the cycle lane I use to get to work, and the Sutra has been ideal, I even put a Taya galvanized chain on it. Just an excellent hack bike, and the discs are awsome. I actually rode it on part of the Conti Route in Wales in original spec, and it coped fine.

james-o
    Free Member

just had a dig about and you may be right geoff – the CTC forum collective doesn’t like it / get it.. so no real news there 🙂

elma
    Free Member

Planet x uncle john’s are cheap and would fit your requirements.

Moses

Wiggle’s flogging 2009 Focus Meres for £700 this week, a cross bike but looks interesting

cmyk
    Free Member

i second the uncle john.
    fantastic bikes.
    mine is currently undergoing a change from disc braked, speedcity wheeled to cantilever brakes and road wheels!

ericemel
    Free Member

Are all of these running cable disc’?

cmyk
    Free Member

mine is/was. avid bb7 roads.

grumm
    Free Member

Not sure how you would run hydraulic discs with the STI road shifters.

stufield
    Free Member

Moses – thanks for the heads up on the focus, looks interesting, shame about the lack of mudguard / rack mounts but quite a deal

CountZero

They have to run cables, nobody does hydraulic flippy shifters, and as for running two pairs of levers on aerobars like I do…

geoffj

James – yes sorry, the CTC thing isn’t really the roadie press or a review. Rather opinions of a few roadies – I should have been more specific / qualifying.

I’m a big fan of your bikes. I have two iOs (one is alfined) and junior has a Ridgeback 16 MX which I really rate. I’m considering the criox de fer for my next cyclescheme purchase 🙂

mrfrosty
    Free Member

Salsa do one 😆

james-o
    Free Member

no probs Geoff, just had to check as you never know what lurks somewhere online! )

maybe we should have a repeat-buyer deal for those that own more than one of our bikes?! seems like iO owners in particular have often got more than one of our bikes now, it’s great to hear.

harry_palmer
    Free Member

Kinesis are doing a fast commuter frame called the “Tripster” as part of the new decade range. This will take disc brakes and has mounts for full mudguards and rack

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Drop handle bikes with discs’ is closed to new replies.