Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Drop bars on a Stache 5, and off-road drop bar recommendations?
  • DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Anyone tried this yet? If so how does it work? I like the idea of a MONSTER-monstercrosser, but I’m slightly worried the plus tyres would make the steering a bit barge-like with the reduced leverage.

Can anyone recommend any good off road drops as well?

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

Tried once Puffin with drop bars. It was interesting 🙂

Best Dirt Drop Bars I’ve used so far is 480mm Genetic Digest.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/handlebars/440-genetic-digest-drop-handlebars-318mm-clamp-black/

It is miles ahead of any other Dirt Drop Bar on the market as it have ergo counter drop bends that allows for natural wrist position whilst on drops.

Rest of available bunch doesn’t have such fet…

Cheers!
    I.

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Useful, ta. Was ‘interesting’ in a good or a bad way?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    IvanMTB
    Free Member

To put it short, I much preferred it with wide, flat bars and short stem.

Putting Dirt Drop on such a fun bike might be kinda taming it too much me think…

Cheers!
    I.

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Hmmmm, don’t want to make it less fun… Good feedback, cheers!

km79
    Free Member

Check out the salsa deadwood for inspiration and the new fargo which replaces it. Both these take 29+ and drop bars. I would have thought that unless designed specifically for drop bars then you’d be wasting your time and money as the setup/positioning will be all wrong.

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Oh man, wish you hadn’t told me about the Deadwood. Didn’t need an expensive alternative option!

km79
    Free Member

Its a great looking bike, luckily for me its discontinued and nothing kicking about in my size!

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

I’ve got a rigid 27.5+ Marin Pine Mountain that I reckon is begging for flared drops. If only I had the spares lying around to try it out!

The Salsa looks great fun.

dovebiker

Assuming you’re going to size-down on the frame to compensate for the extra-reach of the drop bars, then can’t see it being a problem. Not ridden a Stache but I have a custom 29+ based on Krampus geo – really stable platform and the big wheels roll-over anything. Ran the bike with some 2.4″ 29ers – horrible, bike was squirming about all over the place and struggling for grip

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Surprised they discontinued the Deadwood, presume it didn’t sell…

Dovebiker – good point on the extra reach, hadn’t thought of that. I could get a shorter stem, though that may cock up the handling with a narrower bar. May all be too risky to spend much cash on.

km79
    Free Member

The new fargo killed off the deadwood (i think i read somewhere the deadwood was just to try the concept prior to new fargo), same geometry and both can take 29+

cokie

I’m thinking of a similar plan..
    What do people do with MTB brake levers on the drops? Can I run these or do I need the roadie type? Don’t really want to to buy different brakes just for testing drops

dumbjer
    Free Member

January 2016 I built up a Stache 5 with drop bars and Di2 components to use on singletrack and gravel rides. The build went insanely well, and in September of last year I changed to a carbon Stache frame, using the same components and added a Lauf fork and carbon rims. The end result was 23lbs of the coolest bike I’ve ever owned. It totally erases gravel, between the 3″ tires and the Lauf, I feel like I am cheating!

Clink

January 2016 I built up a Stache 5 with drop bars and Di2 components to use on singletrack and gravel rides. The build went insanely well, and in September of last year I changed to a carbon Stache frame, using the same components and added a Lauf fork and carbon rims. The end result was 23lbs of the coolest bike I’ve ever owned. It totally erases gravel, between the 3″ tires and the Lauf, I feel like I am cheating!

Pics??

How does the carbon ride compared to the alu?

jmatlock
    Free Member

We need pics of that dumbjer, sounds amazing!

burko73

Pic not working for me

dumbjer
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/STTp6M]IMG_20160605_205110480[/url] by dumbjer, on Flickr

dumbjer
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/SQj4oA]IMG_20161107_210503[/url] by dumbjer, on Flickr

dumbjer
    Free Member

Clink, the carbon seems to steer quicker, but it has a slightly lower BB, so pedal strikes are more common. There were a few compatibility issues with some components, but I got those sorted out. I do miss the Miami Green color of the 5.

2017 Trek Stache 9.6
    Lauf Boost fork
    Thompson X2 stem
    Salsa Cowchipper 46cm bar
    Bontrager Gel-Grip tape
    RaceFace Next SL G4 crankset
    RaceFace BB
    Absolute Black 32 tooth oval chainring
    YBN chain
    E13 9-44t cassette
    XTR Di2 rear derailleur
    Shimano ST-R785 shift/brake lever set
    Shimano ST-R785 brake calipers
    Hope 180mm two-piece floating rotors
    Hope Pro-4 Boost rear hub
    Hope Pro-4 front hub with Wolf Tooth Boostinator adapter
    DT Swiss Supercomp spokes
    DT Swiss alloy nipples
    Nextie Jungle Fox 52mm carbon rims
    RaceFace Next SL seatpost
    Selle Italia Flite carbon saddle w/ti rails
    Bontrager Chupacabra 29 X 3.0 tires
    WTB 48mm tubeless valve stems
    Shimano XTR trail pedals
    Hope headset spacers
    Salsa seat clamp
    Ti purple anodized rotor bolts
    Pro-Bolt USA purple brake caliper bolts
    Bontrager Race bottle cages

Nipper99
    Free Member

The original still the best imo.

[/url]phone 035 by jamesanderson2010, on Flickr[/img]

drliamski
    Free Member

Charge cooker with alpkit drops.

https://goo.gl/photos/pKjFbG6MsEEmvd9T9

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Drop bars on a Stache 5, and off-road drop bar recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.