Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Drogba playing peek-a-booo
  • Lifer
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MnCr1hdrQw[/video]

Ref went to pieces in the last 50 minutes!

EDIT – d’oh wrong forum!

Junkyard
    Free Member

forget whihc commentator said it but strength of a bull pain threshold of a butterfly sums him up

It was a professional dive as that was late on and he wanted to waste time

coogan
    Free Member

He’s pathetic.

Lifer
    Free Member

On ITV on of the commentators described his earlier dive as ‘clever’…WTF?!

This is a massive hit and I don’t think Hodgson is down for as long as Drogba was!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X_ldFXRcN8[/video]

bruk

This is where citing for foul play would work in football no contact anywhere near face and went down like he’d been shot. Video review after and ban for 2-3 games would soon help to stop this kind of play acting.

Spoils football and I’m worried it is creeping into rugby now.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Gr8 match and for once Chelsea showed some balls. But Drogba was taking the proverbial and took the gloss off it. I thought he had overcome his addiction to Oscar inspired performances, but obviously not.

stgeorge

I think the Napoli player should be allowed a free punch at Drogba’s face prior to the next Chelsea home game – show him what a hit to the face really feels like!

I like football, but this face stuff really pees me off.

benslow
    Free Member

That rugby tackle is immense.

Its like he ran into a brick wall !

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

This is where citing for foul play would work in football no contact anywhere near face and went down like he’d been shot. Video review after and ban for 2-3 games would soon help to stop this kind of play acting.

Agreed on both points.

Jamie
    Free Member

He’s no Busquests…

Lifer
    Free Member

2 years ago? Wow.

andyruss
    Free Member

Drogba like the vast majority of modern footballers are and always will be cheats. It is the modern game l am afraid. Rugby style refs would help cllean up the game. God help us when they bring in video tech, people like Alex Ferguson will question every call,offside and tackle

Jamie
    Free Member

Drogba like the vast majority of modern footballers are and always will be cheats

Oof! I know it’s only March, but that might be contender for sweeping generalisation of the year.

*places bet*

Lifer
    Free Member

God help us when they bring in video tech, people like Alex Ferguson will question every call,offside and tackle

Just limit the number of appeals a team can make, like cricket. If there was a video official last night, in the time it took to get the free kick setup (while Drogba was still on the floor), they could have reviewed and told the ref to book Drogba for diving and give the free kick to Napoli.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Rugby uses video cleverly. It can only be used for certain decisions (Mainly relating to scoring of tries). Soccer could and should do the same.

Diving should be cited after the fact, I think, as it could be a real fall. OK, so anyone with that level of theatrics should be tarred and feathered, obviously, but you get the idea! 😉

scaredypants

Give each coach a few “challenges” per match, like tennis & cricket players get

They can force a video review for any incident and carry on doing so until they’ve lost, say 2 per half. If it’s in open play, ref plays something like the advantage rule in rugby until the current “play” can be stopped without affecting a major opportunity

(edit: i.e. wot lifer said 😳 )

If a player is diving on the video, give the same free kick/penalty but at the other end of the pitch

Lifer
    Free Member

Even worse than the dive (for me) was the commentator describing it as ‘clever play from Drogba’.

But it was ITV.

andyruss
    Free Member

Trouble is rugby players /coaches respect the ref and the rules of the game,you do not see players tell the ref to **** off or god forbid touch a ref,every game occurance in football

scaredypants

andyruss – put a microphone on the refs and let it play to broadcast

warn the clubs at least a month before that it’ll happen, give the managers tapes of the audio recorded in the month before and then just let it go out and fine/ban the players on disrepute charges

IHN

scaredypants +1

andyruss
    Free Member

Scaredypants l agree with you

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Scaredy +Many.

Then, only the captains speak to the ref, and any dissent to the ref? Yellow Card. But, change a yellow card to the rugby version. 10 minutes in the cooler. That would very soon stop the horrid sight of players mobbing the ref.

si-wilson
    Free Member

This is a massive hit and I don’t think Hodgson is down for as long as Drogba was!

Not really the point though, loads of stuff happens in rugby to ‘bend’ the rules, including time wasting.

Im sure you could find some pretty tough tackles that footballers have got up from?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

andyruss – Member
    Trouble is rugby players /coaches respect the ref and the rules of the game,you do not see players tell the ref to **** off or god forbid touch a ref,every game occurance in football

Rugby ref to front row forward – “please watch your binding”….prop “yes, sir!”

Football ref to forward – “yes, I agree with my official that was not a penalty’…..forward ” you are a ******* ******!”

CFH +as many as I can

Yellow card for dissent, red for swearing (even in Latam spanish!!!) and sin bins for Joey 😉

IHN

Thing is, dissent should already get a yellow card, as should abusing an official, foul language, foul play etc etc. They’re just not enforced as that would, apparently, take the ‘passion’ out of the game.

MSP

Trouble is rugby players /coaches respect the ref and the rules of the game,

Complete and utter twaddle, rugby fans view their game through the rosiest tinted glasses available, it is a game of thuggery and violence and cheating is institutionalised in the game. The “respect” for the referee is just a veneer hiding what a nasty game it really is.

binners

Embarrassingly for Chelsea, Drogba is no longer their biggest diver. Torres has been ridiculous of late! Since he knows the only way he’s ever going to stand a chance of scoring is from the resulting penalty, once he’s hurled himself to the floor. 24 hours on the pitch, and counting….. 😀

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

MSP you misunderstand ( :wink:) rugby is a thugs game played by gentleman whereas football is…. 😉

The funny thing about watching Drogba was the fact that the camera focused jointly on his eye and the “respect’ logo. Made me laugh at the time!!

[edit – perhaps it means respect in Chav-speak rather than normal parlance]

binners

Drogba is what my old PE teacher would refer to as a “****ing big Jessie!!!!”

Lifer
    Free Member

andyruss – Member
    god forbid touch a ref

Unless they get in the way!

si_progressivebikes – Member
    Not really the point though, loads of stuff happens in rugby to ‘bend’ the rules, including time wasting.

Im sure you could find some pretty tough tackles that footballers have got up from?

Chill, just wanted an excuse to show the hit!

@MSP

Thuggery? What?

ransos
    Free Member

Trouble is rugby players /coaches respect the ref and the rules of the game

Like Dean Richards, for example?

Let’s face it, whilst rugby doesn’t usually have much play-acting (bloodgate being the exception) there’s plenty of cheating going on in any game you see.

MSP

played by gentleman

But its not really, that’s just one of the meaningless statements made about the game.

Is a dive in football any worse than deliberately not binding in the scrum, dragging the scrum down, delaying the ball by pretending to fall awkwardly, tackling a player in the etc etc. There are dozens more offences in each and every rugby game over football, many of which endanger the opposition players.

Junkyard
    Free Member

because they say yes sir to the ref it does not mean they dont cheat

Its a myth rugbyists [ I am impresses by the cpts knowledge of wendyball football based issues …no really I am 🙄

Was there not an outbreak of fisticuffs last week in the gentle game?
    A deliberate knock on or two..deliberate off side, stopping the team getting up etc to give you time to get back and defend…same old same old just they dont swear at the ref but both codes “cheat”
    Footy is just more popular so more people notice

Binners Torres is so poor it is time to feel sorry for the guy

thepurist

but both codes “cheat”

I was once told “if you ain’t cheating you ain’t trying”.

Both rugby and football are played by professionals who know how much bending of the rules you can get away with. They know because they’ve been playing for years and they had the same tricks pulled on them when they were young players, and watched the perpetrators get away with it. So they take that trick into their repertoire and then learn a few more, and the level of cheating creeps up over time. Similarly the new refs see that their older counterparts are choosing to ‘interpret’ some events as being acceptable and so learn that this is how the game is played, no matter what the rules say.

IMO the main difference between rugby and football comes down to being cited after the event. The video ref system works well in big rugby games because there tend to be more contentious issues than in the typical footie game. I can see that it’d be a big investment that rarely got used for football, but citing would be cheap and effective, especially if backed up by recordings from a mic’d ref.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Wendyball fans – relax, its all a bit of a wind up!!

Of course, people bend the rules in all sport. But there is a very obvious distinction between the authority of the ref in rugby and in football. Its laughable to have respect badges and then watch players, managers, FA, FIFA (by association) happily ignore this basic message and undermine refs authority at any opportunity.

MSP – actually yes, I think there is a difference in the extent of cynicism involved but agree that boundaries may be a bit blurred.

MSP

relax, its all a bit of a wind up!!

Using the “Edinburgh defence” on a forum is equivalent to a cynical dive in football 😉 You big cheat!

Lifer
    Free Member

It’s gone to review…

No foul.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

MSP

Touche….. but I did say “bit of” a wind up. (There is some truth in there!!)

How dare you compare my tactics to those of the birthday boy!!!! He would be very disappointed. 😉

ransos
    Free Member

But there is a very obvious distinction between the authority of the ref in rugby and in football.

Rugby players pretend to respect the referee, footballers don’t. Could you explain how that makes an obvious distinction in authority?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Of course not because that is a loaded question ransos. If the respect “is” only pretence then you have the answer you want!

But really if you cannot see the difference….?!?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Drogba playing peek-a-booo’ is closed to new replies.