Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Driving without MOT with a differance
  • Rscott
    Free Member

So today i was Pulled over by the police, MOT test due on the 14th of feb.

I was told I was Driving without an MOT, there for my insurance was void yadayadayada, I was given a Producer and have to go to the police station with in 7 days with all my documents.

On being pulled over i explained that my car was MOT’s and i had proof of this in the glove box where i produced all my documents and my Pat MOT history.all though I had the certificate this does not count as it hasn’t been register with The DVLA.

Odd one this as this isn’t my responsibility hopefully common sence will provaile but you never know.

falkirk-mark

I would go to the garage it was MOTd at and see what they can do. Also keep your receipt handy in case they charge you with it.

br
    Free Member

Just take your MOT to the police station and let them deal with it.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

as Rscott says!

project
    Free Member

Try looking here,

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history-vehicle

and its free.

Fraz
    Free Member

So…

If you had the Current Mot certificate in the glovebox of the car and this was not expected what exactly are you to produce at the office?

Rscott
    Free Member

Not a clue, It basically says all my documents which i had today.

finishthat
    Free Member

Insurance not void – if this was the case then they could have seized the car. Insurance company would have to prove that the car was not roadworthy to lessen the cover but cannot “void” , a car could be unroadworthy the day after a fresh MOT.

What has most likely happened is that a typo has been made when another similar car/reg has been entered into the online MOT system – that car failed the MOT or the MOT has run out.
    The MOT tester is supposed to double check the VIN plate during the test – but if the details come up similar
    on the system they can make mistakes.

falkirk-mark

If you had the Current Mot certificate in the glovebox of the car and this was not expected what exactly are you to produce at the office?

He would have had a receipt for the Mot, it says on it that it is not the mot (so I do not know what use this receipt is)

mildred

I was told I was Driving without an MOT, there for my insurance was void yadayadayada, I was given a Producer and have to go to the police station with in 7 days with all my documents.

On being pulled over i explained that my car was MOT’d and i had proof of this in the glove box where i produced all my documents and my Pat MOT history.all though I had the certificate this does not count as it hasn’t been register with The DVLA.

Odd one this as this isn’t my responsibility hopefully common sence will provaile but you never know.

1stly, You are still insured if your car doesn’t have an MOT – the conditions of your insurance may be that they will not pay out in the event of a claim if your vehicle is not MOT’d but for the purposes of the Road Traffic Act and Road Traffic Offenders Act you are still insured.

2ndly, the DVLA have nothing whatsoever to do with MOT. VOSA administers this.

3rdly, it is your responsibility to ensure your vehicle is MOT’d. However, any reasonable person would assume that being presented with a MOT pass certificate means you have an MOT.

4thly & finally, even though you’ve produced at the roadside you are still obliged to produce at a Police Station within 7 days. If you don’t then you will likely be prosecuted for failing to produce.

hope that helps.

Rscott
    Free Member

The question is if they have seen all documents why would they need to see them again.

I has a MOT as i have a certificate but it doesn’t show up on the system. How is this my fault now that it is all automated.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Why? Because you have shown up as complicated by having a non registered mot they probably want a good look at to make sure it’s not fake and time check it’s not part of something bigger. If you have a garage bill for the mot take that too. Also maybe have a quick word with the garage.

Rscott
    Free Member

Surley they would have something better to do.

Complete waste of time IMO

falkirk-mark

The ‘certificate’
    Records of MOT test results are held on a secure central database connected to all MOT testing stations.

The document you receive from the testing station is your receipt and shows the information that is held on the MOT database. It is not proof of an MOT and you should not rely on it as such i.e. when buying a used car.

Any recommended advisory work – potential problems not currently severe enough to result in a test failure – will also be shown.

Checking your MOT ‘certificate’
    You can check the MOT status of a vehicle online if you have a legitimate interest in the vehicle – you must be the owner, registered keeper or be considering buying the vehicle.

You will need to know the vehicle registration number and the MOT test number from the most recent ‘certificate’ or test refusal certificate. If you don’t have these you can use the document reference number from the vehicle registration document (V5C).

The status check will confirm the date and mileage of the last test and the expiry date.

You can also check details of previous MOT tests going back to 2005. Records before 2005 were not computerised.

COPIED FROM AA WEBSITE

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Complete waste of time IMO

Generally the response of the person asked to do the producing?

They want to do a doc check as there was an issue that probably can’t be rectified at the side of the road. It could be one of those things that lead to the uncovering of a knock of MOT business that is letting unroadworthy cars out there with links to organised crime etc. it may just be a simple mistake.
    Whichever way best for you and the police to get this straightened out. If the MOT was a month old you’d be grateful to have it sorted out rather than getting stopped a lot.

Rscott
    Free Member

Yes but my local police station is 18 miles away, and no free parking,ca i claim costs when it is found to be real. Or do i get a taxrefund and apologie for wasting my time

boxbuster
    Free Member

We used to have an over enthusiastic village policeman when I was younger who used to give us these all the time, we called them “seven day wonders” as no one ever knew why they got one as all our cars were legal, worse thing was there was no police station in our village so we had to keep going into town with the same documents almost monthly!

I can’t see that you’ll have any issues, probably take all of 5 minutes to sort out when you go down to the police station.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Rscott – Member
    Yes but my local police station is 18 miles away, and no free parking,ca i claim costs when it is found to be real. Or do i get a taxrefund and apologie for wasting my time

If it bothers you that much I’d just call them up explain how your having your time wasted and tell them to come and get you if they have a problem 🙂 Perhaps suggest they have nothing better to do than harass you too. Currently as explained above there is no MOT linked to your car. You may want to get that cleared up.

takisawa2

I’d go on the run if it was me. And sharpish. The producer could be them playing for time while they fit you up for something big. Seriously. Get out now.

zokes
    Free Member

I fail to see why he needs to take it all to the station when the copper has witnessed them. Don’t they still give policemen notebooks to write useful stuff (like MOT cert numbers) on?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I fail to see why he needs to take it all to the station when the copper has witnessed them. Don’t they still give policemen notebooks to write useful stuff (like MOT cert numbers) on?

This

On being pulled over i explained that my car was MOT’s and i had proof of this in the glove box where i produced all my documents and my Pat MOT history.all though I had the certificate this does not count as it hasn’t been register with The DVLA.

and This

The ‘certificate’
    Records of MOT test results are held on a secure central database connected to all MOT testing stations.

The document you receive from the testing station is your receipt and shows the information that is held on the MOT database. It is not proof of an MOT and you should not rely on it as such i.e. when buying a used car.
    Something doesn’t match, so rather than sort it by the road you get to do it properly at a police station where they can run all the proper checks I’m guessing.

zokes
    Free Member

As discussed, it’s VOSA, not the DVLA who deal with MOTs. Also the copper trotted out the bullshit about insurance etc, which is cobblers (as discussed above)

br
    Free Member

Have you not seen a current MOT certificate, my teenage son could fake one.

Its up to the OP, two options:
    1 Take a docs into the Police station, let them deal with any discrepencies, or,
    2 Be charged with failing to produce documents.

Although maybe he knows’ there is a problem with the MOT certificate…

totalshell

had this with my van. was told it had the wrong reg. no. on it… the vin number on the v5 was a digit out.. i sent a photo of the vin no.s to the dvla and got new v5 ( same reg) and a copy of my latest mot.

mattsccm
    Free Member

1. Why not get down to the station?
    Yes its a pain, but so is the rest of life and thats how the system works.
    2. All sorts of little oddities exist and cock ups happen. The computerised MOT system would not accpt my CCM’s VIN . It matched the one on the old MOt’s etc. Eventually it turned out that CCM had never given the bikes the correct number of digits. They only needed 11 not the 12 wanted by the DVLA and didn’t bother with a spare one.The V5 matched the bike but when they linked to the MOT system that system wouldn’t accept it. “Please fill in all the blank spaces” situation.

Rscott
    Free Member

So been to the police Station with all documents, all documents checked, again MOT comes back as unregistered.

1 phone call to Vosa says it is registered, and then redirected to DVLA for vehicle registration and there records, they say they cannot cax it as there is no MOT,so the error seems to be between vosa and DVLA, to which i am told it is my responsibility to sort and to come back with in 21 days.

To which I ask if VOSA say it has an MOT surely that’s the end of it. To which I’m then told I have 21 days to produce evidence that my car is legaly registered and MOT’d.which is what I though I had done. Very Frustrating.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Well, sounds like you’re going down for a long stretch. May as well do a big bank job to make it worth doing the time!

wwaswas

my advice – get everything in writing from now on.

Keep a record of all conversations that you have had with all interested parties to date.

sounds like you’re in for an object lesson in beuracracy and you need to beat them at their own game.

fwiw I’d write to both DVLA and VOSA enclosing copies of all documents that you have (recorded delivery) and ask each to explain what you need to do to get it sorted. I’d also send a copy to whoever it is at the police who deals with it and ask that they accept you are in the hands of the dvla/vosa and can any legal action be held pending until they respond.

(I am not a lawyer)

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Driving without MOT with a differance’ is closed to new replies.