Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Driving to Switerland
  • djnj
    Free Member

Hi Guys

Me and 7 mates are entered for the Davos enduro2 in September. We’ve hired a motorhome and box trailer to make it a proper road trip. Has anyone done this trip before, need advice on how to get there, ferry/chunnel ect. Were driving from the northwest so any advice would be much appreciated.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Never been, never even heard of it! 😉

grizedaleforest

Regular drivers from nw to Switzerland here. Always drive across to Hull and get the overnight ferry to Zeebrugge. Then head down through Luxembourg and eastern France to Basle, though depends on where in Switzerland you’re going. Dont forget to buy your vignette, you might need another one for the trailer.

Edit.. Sorry, you do say Davos, so better to come down through Germany and come in either past Zurich or through Liechtenstein. The former is slower but more scenic. You can still start at Zeebrugge.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Check the Hull Zebrugge ferry but prices may be steep with a MH and Box. DFDS from Dover to Dunkirk or Calais is usually the cheapest route for trailers IME.

As other posters say, depends where in Switz you need to be as to the exact route.

mick_r

We do Hull Rotterdam then down through West side of Germany. Might be spendy for camper, trailer and 2 cabins…..

Tracey

We always go across on the tunnel. 25 ft camper. Go down through France and then cross into north Switzerland. Have the Saniftol thing stuck on the windscreen for ease on the tolls. Just remember if you are over 3 metres vehicle night it gets expensive.

slowoldman

Sorry, you do say Davos, so better to come down through Germany and come in either past Zurich or through Liechtenstein. The former is slower but more scenic. You can still start at Zeebrugge.

This is the route I took going over to Val Bregaglia. Had an overnight stop in South Germany and lunch in a fabulous motorway service station outside Zurich.

panzerjager
    Free Member

I work in Basel & live in the UK. When I drive down I go through the tunnel, then route through Belgium & Germany, as the French tolls can add quite a bit to your journey. Extra travel time is less than an hour.
    Good advise re the Vignette for the Swiss highways, but this is a one-off payment of CHF40 & lasts for the rest of the current year (Not 12 months from when you buy it!)
    You can buy this when you cross the Swiss border.

djnj
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice guys, were now thinking of the tunnel as we want to get there asap and get riding. Didn’t know about the Vignette either so good shout on that.

legend
    Free Member

Earlier comment about needing two vignettes is correct too (unless they’ve changed it) so expect to feel thoroughly fleeced as soon as you enter the country!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Buy the Swiss vignette before going rather than stressing about finding one just before the border. They are rigidly policed by the Swiss at borders (you could be carrying heroin and AK47s as long as that sticker is in your windscreen…).

If you go into Austria you need a vignette which you can buy day passes for at service stations.

Fill up prior to hitting Switzerland. Luxembourg is really cheap for fuel (Frizange just past Belgian border is full of stations that seem to be aimed at transiting business). We go via Belgium and Germany to avoid French tolls.

welshfarmer

I have always just bought the Vignette at the border. No stress, plenty of parking. Beware of punitive speeding fines in CH. 250 euros for 5km over limit within 2 miles of the border anyone? My mate was not impressed

dienamic

Pay for your vignette at the border in Francs, not Euros. Their exchange rate is criminal.

bruneep

vignette……why do I keep reading it as vinaigrette. 😕

rickmeister

As above,

We live in BlackForest,close to Basel and drive back the UK regularly.

Been to Davos this weekend actually… 2:30hs from Basel.

Personally, Chunnel or ferry especially if you can swap drivers.

If ferry then Dunkirk, straight off the boat to the highway and luxemburg. Motorway services for diesel though there is a good 24hr fillip by the port in Dunkirk.

There is a good toll free dual carriageway all the way to St Die, then the tunnel D’ Alsace will be your only payment to get through. This pops you out in Selestat,close to the french Autoroute which is free from there. It flows well and isn’t a boring drive.

Straight down this leads to Basel and the crossing to Switzerland.By the border is a service station, get the vignette here or, actually at the boarder, there is loads of parking.

I would avoid Strasbourg,its always been snarled up with road projects. Colmar is relatively easy too.

French side, careful with speed cameras, Swiss fines are ridiculous,dont speed.

Fill up with diesel in Germany before crossing to Switzerland, shop and booze in Kaufland or similar then take it to Davos.

There is a good Bike Hotel in Davos as well, its close to the COOP which has a cafe in the store for non wallet threatening food. Lookfor Bahntour Davos and translate the page.

If you want to break the journey and stay here, happy to help.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Driving to Switerland’ is closed to new replies.