• This topic has 18 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Driving to Scotland – where to stop on the way?
  • krag
    Free Member

Off to Scotland tomorrow for 2 weeks of biking and the DH world cup. We went last year and drove straight to fort bill in one go but as we've not even packed the van yet I can't see us leaving very early tomorrow.

So I was thinking about staying the night somewhere on route? Maybe the lakes or something? Don't want to go too far out the way and a campsite would be fine (we're in a campervan).

Any suggestions?

stanfree
    Free Member

I suppose it depends where you are coming from ?. You could always camp round about Dumfries way and do a couple of the lower 7 stanes or you could head right up to Pitlochry way then cutover from the a9 through dalwhinnie , Kingussie to spean bridge and Fort bill.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Northumberland. Epic country.

postierich
    Free Member

When we head up to Scotland we normally stop off @ Pooleybridge in the Lakes not far off the motorway!
    Good campsite there and if you leave early enough you miss out on paying!
    Decent pub for meals and a Chippy!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yorkshire. Gods own country.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

LAKES!!!!

Nice riding out of Keswick/Penrith/Glenridding Post for rides

Come by on a Tuesday night and we will sort you out.

Failing that have a night on the town in Glasgow, if you like fish get into 2 Fat Ladies in the west end for dinner

krag
    Free Member

Driving from Taunton so a fair old slog, the lakes is sounding promising, I'll take a look at the place mentioned.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Taunton to Fort Bill. So I'd say that rules out Northumberland & Yorkshire. Not that these aren't fine places (in fact, none finer) but a bit off-route, perhaps

somewhere between Lancaster & Glasgow, I reckon. Lakes? Dumfries & Galloway?

terrahawk
    Free Member

TEBAY SERVICES!!

seriously. you should.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Mmmmmmmmm. Teeeeee-baaaayyyyyy.

john_drummer
    Free Member

yeah, Tebay is good. As motorway service areas in the UK go. Not sure I'd want to be that close to a motorway while trying to kip though

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Tebay is just another motorway service station that so happens to be surrounded by beautiful hills – don't let anyone convince you otherwise. It is a convenient stopping point for on the way to Scotland tho'

spacemonkey

Anywhere but Carlisle – it's a sh1thole. Stopped there en route to Peebles and it was **** horrible.

rOcKeTdOg

The teabay ducks are friendly though

xherbivorex
    Free Member

tebay is not just 'another motorway service station'. if you think it is, then you haven't really been to tebay… it's legendary, that place.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Why not stop at Innerleithen and take in the IXS Euro DH cup that is on there this weekend.

Spey-Stout
    Free Member

If you go up the A9 to dalwhinnie you can stop and do Laggan on the way.

gusamc
    Free Member

Hi, as I drive from Berks to Girvan (M6, M74)to see the crinklies I stopped at Arnside – ye olde seaside village near M6

Glasson was the other place I found that looked ok.

(*old codger and bird after scenery, nearby pub and chilled out evening without too many people about)

nbt

Tebay is nice. They're building another near Gloucester

back to the OP, Moffat is nice and the chippy on the main street is excellent

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Driving to Scotland – where to stop on the way?’ is closed to new replies.