Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Driving to Lake Garda – route advice
  • cossyrush
    Free Member

Driving down to Lake Garda (southern side) in 2 weeks time for our family holiday.
    Just looking at the route. I’m planning to drive over night, stopping when I’m tired for a sleep and then somewhere for breakfast.
    We’ve got a 4 yr old so I want to get as far as I can whilst she’s asleep.

I’m looking for easy motorway driving, but equally want to pick the most cost effective route and not pay excessive toll charges.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I’ve driven it twice in the last 2 years, most recently at the start of May this year.

It’s a good 11-12hrs solid driving from Calais, and i think the easiest routes are either heading up the French coast into Belgium, then south past Brussels, into Germany and straight down past Stutgart, Ulm etc into Austria, over the Brenner Pass, through Into Italy and all the way down to Verona before cutting in towards the south of the lake. Very few tolls on this route (only a few euros in Italy plus the tax in Austria.

The quickest route was Calais, Reimes, Metz, then snake down through Luxembourg heading for Milan then over to Garda. Tolls here through France and bits of Luxembourg plus tax in Switzerland (about 40 Euros)

The most scenic route was Milan, Chamonix and up through France, but this was the most costly due to Mt Blanc tunnel.

There’s barely an hours difference between any of the above tbh.

We had another fantastic weeks riding in the mountains at the northern end of the lake. Plenty of places to hire bikes if your not taking your own, and loads of shuttle companies.

cossyrush
    Free Member

Hi MMtM,
    Thanks for the reply, really helpful, I’ll look at the routes. Calais Reimes Metz sounds favourite.
    Beginning to think that my idea of not losing 2 days holiday with the journey might be a bit keen.

jamiea
    Free Member

If you can time it so you can fill up in Luxembourg you’ll save a few quid- the fuel is the same low-tax price across all forecourts in the country.

Cheers,
    Jamie

cossyrush
    Free Member

Good tip about the fuel. Thanks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Driving to Lake Garda – route advice’ is closed to new replies.