Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Driving to Chatel – to Swiss or not to Swiss
  • oliverd1981
    Free Member

Wondering if cutting the corner through Bescanacon is worth it compared to staying in France and heading along the south side of the lake. Not really liking the idea of buying the Swiss Vignette for two shortish bits of dual carriageway…

higgo
    Free Member

The only time we’ve done it there was a long queue at the Swiss border checking/selling vignettes. We’d already got a vignette and were waved through when we got to the border but lots of people hadn’t got one. We hit it at a busy time (Sat lunchtime). We were going to Vervier so had no choice. I wouldn’t use it as a short cut unless (i) I already had a vignette (ii) I was planning to be at the border at a quiet time.

bland

One thing that we did on the way home last year was to come up through Switzerland and stop off at Lac Blanc in the Alsace. if you get your timings right you can fit in a days riding there (look up some vids – great place if you like UK style DH) and it also means that you miss out pretty much all of the french Tolls and can drive down to Chatel after riding.

You may save more buying the vignette that you would pay in tolls.

Have a look on the Via Michelin site and that will plot your route and give you real time fuel and toll costs

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Oliverd1981 we didn’t have any problems at the Swiss border, complete opposite we had been trying to find somewhere on the way down to buy the vignette, as everywhere said petrol stations on the border etc would sell them but they didn’t. We bought ours super easily at the border, stuck it in the window, toilet break and were off within 10 mins. The motorways are so much easier and it’s only 40CHF which is about £30ishsomething so it’s not much. AGain we were going to Verbier.

As already mentioned put the different routes into http://www.viamichelin.com site and it’ll give you the different costs on petrol, tolls etc.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

stop off at Lac Blanc in the Alsace. if you get your timings right you can fit in a days riding there (look up some vids – great place if you like UK style DH)

Thinking of going to Metabief on the way and the Giger museum on the way back

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Driving to Chatel – to Swiss or not to Swiss’ is closed to new replies.