Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Driving Licence photo renewal
  • Woody
    Free Member

For some reason I wasn’t aware that you had to renew your driving licence photo every 10 years but I’ve just got my reminder through and it’s £20 !!!!!

£20 effing quid and to make matters worse, I now have to get another photo (or pay to have it done at the post office) as my Passport was issued just over 5 years ago so can’t do it online.

Is there no end to how this country extracts money ? 👿 and double 👿

montylikesbeer

well somebody has to pay for the DVLA chief execs salary and waterfalls in the reception area, did mine last year, it makes your blood boil !!

alpin
    Free Member

i had to replace both my DL and passport in the same month last year.

as i live abroad it costs a lot more than for a uk resident. sent off my pictures and it came back saying my head was too big! another set of photos later and more secure postage costs i finally got it all back just in time for going away.

turns out german biometric parameters are different to uk ones.

Woody
    Free Member

Oh great – if you can’t do it online, you need a to send a cheque (haven’t had a chequebook for years) or buy a postal order, or visit a PO that takes your pic and charges £4.50 for the privilege.

So that’s £24.50 + parking + at least an hour (not including the time spent moaning on here) to satisfy some poxy bureacratic dickhead(s).

tom84
    Free Member

i did this at easter, wait till you get in the photobooth and it tells you that all the photos it took of you are invalid, even though you followed the instructions perfectly (maybe i have a weird face?). i sent the best one off anyway and it got used so i worried for nothing. i kind of understand your frustration, but it isn’t urgent, relax, do it when you have a spare moment and try and focus on bigger and better things!

jon1973
    Free Member

it’s only once every 10 year ffs. 😉 The whole point is to get a more recent photo, so it makes sense not to use your passport one if it’s too old.

spooky_b329

it’s only once every 10 year ffs

Exactly 🙂

Though I was a bit annoyed when I found that although I could add an extra category to my license for free (well, I had paid the DVLA test fee) I couldn’t renew my photo at the same time without paying £20.

So considering I would have lost two months by renewing my photo, I let them send me a nice new license with the extra category, followed by a reminder letter for the photo, me sending the new license back and another one sent out.

So in the last year, I’ve had four brand new licenses sent out (Provisional addition, ‘C’ category addition, Photo Renewal, ‘C+E’ category addition) 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’ve moved and need to update my address. And add 3 points. And go from paper to plastic. Wonder what I’ll be charged 🙂

jon1973
    Free Member

I’ve moved and need to update my address. And add 3 points. And go from paper to plastic. Wonder what I’ll be charged

£20 for the photo licence I imagine

grim168
    Free Member

Got burgled last year and wallet was taken. Had to replace licence which wasn’t covered by insurance as its a document. Said licence ran out this year so had to pay again. heavy goods runs out in two years 😡

thegreatape
    Free Member

Did someone say something a while ago about new licences coming back with categories missing, so photocopy your current one before you send it in? Something like that anyway.

br
    Free Member

+1 on copying your licence, but I was waiting for my bike to be serviced a few years ago and there was a copper (on his police bike) doing the test – when he’d had his licence renewed they’d ‘missed’ the m/c catagory…

Probably better just to say you’ve lost it, and then at least you’ve the old one as evidence.

Woody
    Free Member

Thanks for the reminder. That would cause all sorts of problems if they missed out the categories, as I appear to have 13 different ones including 4 little letters on the end. God knows what some of them are for 🙄

wrightyson
    Free Member

Our local post office now has a photo booth thing that has big dvla renewal licence stickers all over it. Basically put there for that very reason. Nice bit of joint venturing going on me thinks!

allthepies
    Free Member

Still got the old skool paper one, none of this new fangled photo business.

MoreCashThanDash

My reminders just come through, did I read up there I can do it online with a recent passport renewal?

Woody
    Free Member

Yup – web address is on the reminder.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Driving Licence photo renewal’ is closed to new replies.