Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Driving licence dilema
  • stevied
    Free Member

Going on holiday in 18 days, had reminder to renew driving licence last week (expires on 21/03).

Says it can take up to 3 weeks to get the new one and that I have to send the old one back. Anyone know if I can wait for the new one before sending the old one?
    Have contacted DVLA but no response yet..

ahsat

When I have had to change address, it has taken ~10-14 days for new one to turn up – regardless if I have sent the old one back yet or not. However, it is illegal to hold onto two copies, so as long as you send the old one back as soon as the new one turns up – that should be ok and they wont come after you! I’ve changed address a couple of times recently, and I did that the last time, just because it was Christmas and I forgot to post it back and the new one turned up anyway.

antigee

Sure you have to send old one back ? I guess maybe yes if the paper slip but for a photocard did it online and turned up in a couple of weeks and I live in Aus
    Needed more ID docs than could possibly imagine but they use photo off passport

ahsat

Sure you have to send old one back

Yes, at the end it tells you, you have to cut it in half and return it. Sure that is for a renewal as well as change to name/address.

km79
    Free Member

Tell them you have lost the original when you apply for the new one.

Flaperon

When I did it you needed to give them a code that was written on the old photocard to prove you hadn’t lost it, at which point it issued the new one.

It says you have to send it back, but I didn’t. Always useful having a spare for ID even if technically expired.

stevied
    Free Member

Thanks for the help. I thought it would be OK to send the old one when the new one turns up 🙂

br
    Free Member

Tell them you have lost the original when you apply for the new one. [/I]

This is what I did when we went to photocards, as there’d been a load of folk losing entitlements and I didn’t want to.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I did mine fast track at the post office, including them taking the photograph, got it back within a week.

simmy
    Free Member

I’ve just renewed mums licence as she is 70 in May and it turned up within 3 days after doing it online and we just sent the old one back cut in 2

snownrock

Yes, at the end it tells you, you have to cut it in half and return it. Sure that is for a renewal as well as change to name/address.

Has anyone ever done this? I have never when moving house etc and there has never been any follow up.

wwaswas

bit of a hijack – what happens if you don;t return the old one?

jon1973
    Free Member

bit of a hijack – what happens if you don;t return the old one?

A baby robin dies.

woodster

I never returned my last one because I wasn’t aware I was supposed to. Only realised after changing my address recently. Nothing happened and I just binned it. Kept the old one until the new one arrived and it came in about a week.

v8ninety

I kept mine because I wanted to. Can’t see that it hurts anyone as my intentions are non nefarious and they’ve yet to send the failuretocomplywithpointlessinsruction police round as yet.

fatoldgit

Send the old one back once the new one arrives

I have just renewed mine and this is the way to do it

You can renew all online now using your passport number to supply a photo.

Worked fine even though my passport photo is nearly 10 years old

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Driving licence dilema’ is closed to new replies.