Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • driving in france
  • Seggons
    Free Member

can I drive in france?

I'm 19, held my licence for about 18 months ..
    Should I make it known to my insurance company (direct line) that I'm going to drive there ..

I do have a french car too 😉

also, with hiring do I need any special requirements ..?

mildred

If you intend for that insurance policy to cover whilst driving there, then yes you must certainly let them know. It is unlawful to drive in France without insurance, and not all UK policies have foreign use. Go on the AA website, which used to have loads of advice for motoring abroad.

njee20
    Free Member

You're very unlikely to be old enough to hire a car out there. Check your insurance docs carefully, they may not cover you abroad at your age, it may be free (but you'll have to tell them), or you may have to pay extra.

munkster
    Free Member

Seem to recall I hired a car in France when I was living there for a year aged 20ish… That *was* in 1994 though 😥

tron
    Free Member

Warning triangle, high vis vests (in the car, within the reach of the driver), set of bulbs are required (the bulbs aren't technically legally required, but if you have a blown bulb and get pulled over, you can't go anywhere until you've replaced it, so you need a set).

A fire extinguisher is also a nice thing to have. And confidence in your radiator & water pump. It got to 39 degrees when I was there last summer.

And yes, speak to your insurers. Not all standard policies cover use in Europe. There's also a firm listed on the MSE website that does europe wide breakdown cover for £70 or so, but they do state that the car should be inspected before you go out – ie, service it or MOT it.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

the minimum age to hire a car is 21, rising to 26 in some areas

So says google..

Some insurance companys may have different age restrictions for driving abroad.

hels
    Free Member

And don't forget your "Ecosse" sticker for the back of the car so they will be nicer to you.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

You cant hire a car in France unless your 21+
    my daughter works in Europe and she found that out last year , when she wanted one for a few days .. as someone has already said the age rises in certain areas !

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Doesn't France have a "ggod smamaritan" law too, hence the presence of the first aid kit – an obligation to stop & assist if you come across an accident with injuries?

john_drummer
    Free Member

from a pretty hazy memory, it's pretty hard to hire a car in the UK unless you're over 21 AND passed your test at least a year earlier

jd-boy
    Free Member

Id like to see you change a bulb in some of these new cars, some you have to take bumpers, batterys etc off/out to get the bulbs in

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘driving in france’ is closed to new replies.