Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Driving Edinburgh -> Fort William…A82 or A9?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

As above…leaving 4pm today, returning 3pm tomorrow.

scotroutes

I prefer the Dalwhinnie route over Glencoe. More opportunities for overtaking. If you decide to go one way and come back the other, then Glencoe tonight and Dalwhinnie tomorrow. You don’t want to get caught up in the A82 Sunday drivers.

cynic-al
    Free Member

The Dalwhinnie route goes over Glencoe?

😛

Actually those were my thoughts, prettier tonight too down the Glen.

stanfree
    Free Member

Agree with Colin , when I’ve went up to Fort William I’ve always went up by the A82 and back the A9.

amplebrew

I would definitely go via the A82 to Fort William.

I’ve only ever gone A9 if heading up towards Aviemore.

I try to avoid the A9 though as i’ve always found it to be a bit of a racetrack. Can’t believe how fast some folk go along it and that’s coming from someone who lives on the Isle Of Man with no speed limits.

peterfile
    Free Member

I just came back down the A82 about an hour ago.

Traffic heading north is gridlocked from Dumbarton to the Balloch roundabout. I’ve never seen it so busy.

I’d go across the A9!

scotroutes

TBF, I don’t think Al would go that way. From the Burg, it’s Stirling, Crianlarich, Glencoe…

peterfile
    Free Member

Ah, sorry, had a brain fart!

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

M90-Perth -> A9 to the distillery is probably fastest, but A9 gets a bit mental. But I’d want out of the central belt quick as poss, so might head for Perth, then A85 by Crieff to Crianlarich, then enjoy the A82 scenery

athgray
    Free Member

As a rule of thumb I find the A82 quicker to Fort Wiiliam, but if heading any further North up the West coast the A9 is a bit quicker to Spean Bridge.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

RAC Routeplanner shows via Dalwhinnie as 10 miles further than the A82 route but 2 minutes quicker.
    Decisions decisions eh?

I’ve always gone up the 82 cos Rannoch & Glencoe are more awesome than driving past Loch Laggan.

cbike
    Free Member

A82 southbound on a bank holiday can be slow from Balloch past luss sometimes all the way to tarbet.

Northbound, The A82/M8 was slow today from Milton all the way back to Paisley.
    They will all be coming back on Sunday around 4pm – 7pm (Locals bail at tarbert and go across to Loch long/garelochead/helensburgh)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well A82 was pretty bad on the way up, a few caravans and other slow drivers – my favourite being from Ballachullish to FW, 30-40 in the NSL, then up to 50 in the 30 zone 🙄

A9 back down today was pretty good, drove the route I’d ridden in the tri hours before!

peterfile
    Free Member

Well A82 was pretty bad on the way up, a few caravans and other slow drivers – my favourite being from Ballachullish to FW, 30-40 in the NSL, then up to 50 in the 30 zone

A9 back down today was pretty good, drove the route I’d ridden in the tri hours before!

I really fancy getting out to do something tomorrow, but know I’ll end up getting stuck on the way home as the whole of the central belt return south 🙁

Might play it safe and head to Inners or similar.

geoffj

Another weekend, another fatality on the A9.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-22675415

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Driving Edinburgh -> Fort William…A82 or A9?’ is closed to new replies.