Viewing 5 posts - 81 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • driving and the use of brakes
  • IanMunro
    Free Member

my 205 gti wouldn’t have had any engine braking due to my foot being on the clutch liek the teach in the driver test.

!?

owenfackrell
    Free Member

IanMunro – Member

my 205 gti wouldn’t have had any engine braking due to my foot being on the clutch liek the teach in the driver test.

!?

As part of the emergency stop you have to press the clutch in and not stall the car by just jumping on the brakes as it shows a lack of control or sum such thing and doing this in the 205 which had a tick over of 850 rpm and the fuel would only cut in at 1000rpm it had the habit of stalling its self.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

On the subject of compressors, it has occurred to me that a diesel compressing the same amount of air all the time is very wasteful considering it only uses a little bit of that air.

You need all that air to compress to create heat to combust the fuel, as I said before, the energy is recouped on the combustion stroke, probably to a greater degree than in a petrolas well as you’re warming up the air which expands against the piston, the aste heat in a petrol goes into the cyliner walls (hence why petrols warm up quickly).

The V9-V4 thing gets done quite alot, didn’t cadilac have a concept for a 16cyl engine where the cylinders came on sequentialy? The ballance isnt a problem as you just make a V4, ballance it, then replicate it up the engine (same way as porche eventualy ballanced their 8cyl race engines in the 902*)

*google says I’m wrong, but it was one of their first successful endurance race cars, the one with the stingray mouth.

v8ninety – Member

If diesel is so good why is your username V8ninety, not 2.5-4cl-na-diesel-ninety?

v8ninety

Also how come its fine for you to compare landys with different egines but not for any one else?

Compare what you want, so long as its comparable. Landys are what I know, and have experience of. In this situation they are ideal because the 2.5 diesel and petrol engines are based on the same engine block, same bore and stroke, with different heads and pistons to alter the compression ratio. The gearboxes, transferboxes and differentials are identical ratios in both petrol and diesel models of a certain era, which make them ideal ‘control’ vehicles in this instance.

If diesel is so good why is your username V8ninety, not 2.5-4cl-na-diesel-ninety?

Never said diesel was better, love me V8! But its cheaper, and the engines have more rotational resistance, leading to more engine braking. It’s probably something to do with why they produce more torque at comparable revs, too…

molgrips
    Free Member

Maybe a straight 6 with a clutch to make it two sets of three?

Viewing 5 posts - 81 through 85 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘driving and the use of brakes’ is closed to new replies.