• This topic has 48 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Spud.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • driving and the delay at traffic lights
  • joao3v16
    Free Member

One of the little things in life that drive me nuts:

Why, when there’s a queue of cars at a traffic light, is it so long before the cars at the back of the queue can get moving?

Surely the whole queue can start moving at pretty much exactly the same time?

Everyone’s waiting for the same thing.

Why does everyone react like it’s a surprise when it happens and are nowhere near ready for it?

Get your act together!

jon1973
    Free Member

Slow down and chill out. Are you the sort of person who sounds their horn a millisecond after the amber light comes on?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Youhave to have further between the cars when moving than when stationary – soeach car has to wait while the one in front moves off. You shouldn’t be driving a few feet behind the car in front

khani
    Free Member

Surely the whole queue can start moving at pretty much exactly the same time?

Not unless they all drive a foot off each others bumper,
    Have you given up smoking recently?
    Edit, TJ, the force is fast with you today so it is…..

stumpy01

If you could synchronise everyone to move off at exactly the same time, accelerate at the same rate and stop accelerating at the same speed, then you could all set off at the same time.

But you can’t, so you can’t.

If we ever get to the state where we get in our cars & they drive us somewhere, then I imagine this will be the situation. They will all be talking to each other & integrating with the stop/go systems at junctions, which wouldn’t even need to be lights if the cars are doing the stopping & going.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Oh I’m never in a hurry. Usually only going to work so not that keen to get there quickly 🙂

I just find it odd that it can take so long for drivers to get going at a green light. Something you’re expecting to happen shouldn’t really catch you off guard to that extent.

There’d be much shorter queues if everyone was more on the ball as more vehicles would get through the lights on each cycle.

Perhaps this is the damage caused by 7 months of cycle commuting – I’ve been used to sailing smugly past all the drones in tin boxes …

bikebouy
    Free Member

Queue theory, learn it.

joao3v16
    Free Member

synchronise everyone to move off at exactly the same time, accelerate at the same rate and stop accelerating at the same speed, then you could all set off at the same time.

Perfectly possible. Just requires everyone to pay proper attention.

If I can do it, and I’m nothing special …

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

if you all set off at the same time you would only have a couple of feet between each car – hardly safe

oldnpastit

If I can do it, and I’m nothing special …

You’re just finding it hard to adjust to the disparity in awesomeness between you and the rest of humanity.

You just need to get used to being way more amazing than everyone else. It takes a while, but if you work at it, you can get there in the end….

br
    Free Member

Is someone after the stupid comment of the day award?

Or have you just started driving – and if so please google stopping/thinking distances…

stumpy01

joao3v16 – Member

I just find it odd that it can take so long for drivers to get going at a green light. Something you’re expecting to happen shouldn’t really catch you off guard to that extent.

There’d be much shorter queues if everyone was more on the ball as more vehicles would get through the lights on each cycle.

The green light is the symbol that you can go though, isn’t it? It’s not the symbol to race off as quick as possible. Some people aren’t as quick as others off the lights – it’s not really a big deal.
    Should everyone accelerate to their cars maximum capability off the lights too?

jon1973 – Member

Are you the sort of person who sounds their horn a millisecond after the amber light comes on?

That really does my head in & invariably causes me to either pull off in second, or stall or drop something in the footwell that I have to retrieve……. 😉

joao3v16
    Free Member

please google stopping/thinking distances…

The thinking or stopping distance whilst sat at a red light is probably zero.

oldnpastit – sounds like the voice of experience 🙂

The green light is the symbol that you can go though, isn’t it? It’s not the symbol to race off as quick as possible. Some people aren’t as quick as others off the lights – it’s not really a big deal.
    Should everyone accelerate to their cars maximum capability off the lights too?

It’s not about speed, just the unneccessary long delays getting moving at all.

sugdenr
    Free Member

We seem to be in the era of the traffic light, because where I live they are popping up like breeding rabbits, no such thing a traffic flow. Surely the environemental impact of constant stop starting the traffic flow is bad for the bunnies?

D0NK

The thinking or stopping distance whilst sat at a red light is probably zero.

exactly but as soon as you start moving you need some think/stop distance so car nuimber 2 has to wait for the car at the front to get a safe distance away before moving and accellerating, as speed increases gap will have to increase. TJ explained this up there ^

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The green light is the symbol that you can go though, isn’t it?

Technically it is ‘proceed with caution’ (IIRC having not read a Highway Code in 27 years). It goes not mean go. I seem to recall being taught ‘Red – stop; amber – stop, green – proceed with caution’. (Of course this was more of a made up rule by my instructor to help his learners).

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

sugdenr

I agree – what we need is 20 mph urban limits. The slower speed allows people to negotiate junctions safely without traffic lights and average speeds do not fall as traffic flows better

richmtb

To be fair I get what the OP is saying, but until we are all replaced by computers or robots we will just have to live with it.

What annoys me is not being able to turn left at a red light when its clear, after spending a bit of time in Canada this really annoys me.

stumpy01

mastiles_fanylion – Member
    The green light is the symbol that you can go though, isn’t it?

Technically it is ‘proceed with caution’ (IIRC having not read a Highway Code in 27 years). It goes not mean go. I seem to recall being taught ‘Red – stop; amber – stop, green – proceed with caution’. (Of course this was more of a made up rule by my instructor to help his learners).

I was waiting to see who was in pedant mode today…… 😐
    I couldn’t be bothered to look up the exact meaning of a green light, but I think the majority of people are aware it doesn’t mean ‘proceed regardless as to what else might be around…..’

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Surely the environemental impact of constant stop starting the traffic flow is bad for the bunnies?

I have thought this for some time – the man tells us to hug trees and care for the environment yet the same man designs traffic lights to deliberately slow traffic. I think there is an argument for flashing amber lights at off peak times in some circumstances which means everyone can proceed with caution.

There is a set of lights near where I live where I need to turn right and immediately left – only if you are at the very front and only if you are very quick can you pull away from the first light and get past the next before it turns to red and very often you are left waiting at that second set of lights with no traffic passing from the other direction as it is an automatic sequence to stop traffic. 👿

ooOOoo
    Free Member

trains can do this, really well

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

MF – if people didn’t behave as they did ie drive selfishly and would accept 20 mph limits then there would be no need for traffic lights.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I was waiting to see who was in pedant mode today……
    I couldn’t be bothered to look up the exact meaning of a green light…’

Well no, neither could I, I just knew the correct definition 😉 Sorry – not trying to be pedantic, it just always stuck with me did that particular mantra from my instructor.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

MF – if people didn’t behave as they did ie drive selfishly and would accept 20 mph limits then there would be no need for traffic lights

? Not sure how that relates to my post but I tend to agree. It is often interesting to see how people react to junctions when traffic lights have failed – often they seem to flow better…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I can sort of see what the OP is getting at.

Obviously some people at traffic are not paying attention to driving and more interested in doing other things. If they were concentrating on what they are supposed to be concentrating on then some times people would get through quicker..

DezB
    Free Member

Bloody hell, what a stupid question!
    You only need to look ahead to see what’s happening to work it out.

So if there’s a queue of 30 cars at the lights, you think they should all be able to move off at the same time? at the same speed? retaining the same distance between them?

stumpy01

mastiles_fanylion – Member

Well no, neither could I, I just knew the correct definition Sorry – not trying to be pedantic, it just always stuck with me did that particular mantra from my instructor.

I think my driving instructor (my uncle) used to say
    red – stop
    amber – stop, prepare to go*
    green – go*

*where ‘go’ = proceed with caution 😉

I think that loads could be done with optimisation of traffic light routines, including getting rid of them in certain situations. There’s several roundabouts I can think of that seem to run better when the lights are not working on them.

And I agree about the comments regarding flashing ambers that they use I have seen in other European countries, as well as the ‘left turn at lights’ thing……

Gary_C

A thing that annoys me at traffic lights is that when it changes to green, the first car takes an age to move off. It’s like ” Oh, the lights gone green, I didn’t expect that ! ” Observing when the other lights ( say, at a crossroads ) turn to red, should give them a big clue that their lights are about to change.

Ah, just remembered something else. Drivers who, I expect, are driving an automatic, sit at the lights with the car in drive & their foot on the brake pedal, therefore dazzling the car immediately behind! FFS!!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Drivers who, I expect, are driving an automatic, sit at the lights with the car in drive & their foot on the brake pedal

I think that is just lazy people in general – it happens way too much to just be auto drivers. They can usually be seen doing something more important than paying attention to the road too – texting, applying make-up etc…

AndyP
    Free Member

To be fair, if you are dazzled by brake lights, you probably shouldn’t be driving and should get to your optometrist ASAP. Unless you are of course exaggerating, which would clearly be a first for STW 😉

I think the OP has a point, but it doesn’t work simply because most drivers don’t maintain any real gap between themselves and the car in front when they get to lights, it seems that getting as close to the car in front as possible without making contact is the way to go, for some reason.

crispo
    Free Member

I dont see what the issue is with traffic lights, they are put implace to help improve the flow of traffic. I know sometimes it seems like they are not but honestly they are.

br
    Free Member

A thing that annoys me at traffic lights is that when it changes to green, the first car takes an age to move off. It’s like ” Oh, the lights gone green, I didn’t expect that ! ” Observing when the other lights ( say, at a crossroads ) turn to red, should give them a big clue that their lights are about to change

Judging by the folk I pull up next to (ride a m/c) at traffic lights, its because they’re usually doing something other than watching the lights. One reason m/c’s seem to ‘tear’ off, is that we are only riding, consequently we are watching the lights.

We also like to get off quick as we are unsure whether the car/van we are next to / in front of has actually seen us…

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I learned somewhere it’s bad manners to leave your foot on the brake at night, once someone’s stopped behind you. And the same with a right turn indicator, turn it off once they’ve seen it. Set it going again as you see the lights go to amber.

It might catch on, and make the world a fractionally better place. Though in a world where drivers need fog lights in town, I doubt it.

sugdenr
    Free Member

I dont see what the issue is with traffic lights, they are put implace to help improve the flow of traffic. I know sometimes it seems like they are not but honestly they are.

Aha, gotcha!That is the point…they improve the traffic flow of the minority in the side road, but in doing so screw up the traffic flow of the majority on the main road they disrupt.

And multiple sets placed close together compound the problem.

There, you cant argue with that, I win!

GrahamS

I think my driving instructor (my uncle) used to say
    red – stop
    amber – stop, prepare to go*
    green – go*

<pedant>
    Don’t traffic lights usually go:

red: Stop
    red+amber: Stop, prepare to go, OR flashing amber: Go/continue if it’s clear
    green: Go/continue
    amber: Stop (if you can safely).

?
    </pedant>

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

No – they are there to *control* the flow, not improve it. I read recently that they deliberately control signals to slow traffic and that they are considering changing things to quicken flow not throttle it. Although I could have dreamt that.

GrahamS

Obligatory xkcd:

Alt Text: You can look at practically any part of anything manmade around you and think ‘some engineer was frustrated while designing this.’ It’s a little human connection.

BoardinBob

It’s not about everyone pulling an F1 style start away from the lights, but is to much to ask for everyone to be actually ready to pull away (safely) when the lights turn green? Actually paying attention to driving instead of pissing around with the stereo, daydreaming, not in gear, handbrake pulled up as hard as possible, kids fighting in the back seat etc?

stumpy01

Don’t traffic lights usually go:

red: Stop
    red+amber: Stop, prepare to go, OR flashing amber: Go/continue if it’s clear
    green: Go/continue
    amber: Stop (if you can safely).

^^^ yeah, sorry.
    I deemed it unnecessary to put in the full phase & include the red in the amber phase, seeing as we were discussing only the ‘being stopped, then going’ bit of the traffic light cycle…..but you are right, I should have known how anally retentive people on here are & how they like to pull others up on pretty irrelevant matters.

I will endeavour to be more anally retentive myself in future….. 😐

stumpy01

BoardinBob – Member

Actually paying attention to driving instead of pissing around with the stereo, daydreaming, not in gear, handbrake pulled up as hard as possible, kids fighting in the back seat etc?

Eh? I was always taught handbrake/neutral at traffic lights if they are going to be stopped for more than a few seconds. And I find it a more comfortable way of driving, than sitting with the car in gear.

I thought I was quite an impatient driver, but I am perhaps a model of calm & patience compared to some of you!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘driving and the delay at traffic lights’ is closed to new replies.