Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • driveshaft stretchy CV boots,anybody used them?
  • falkirk-mark

As title my car needs a new CV boot and the stretch on (neoprene) ones look like a lot less hassle to put on but are they any good?
    Thanks in advance

andyl
    Free Member

doubt it is neoprene. Normally just a different grade of rubber.

I use them fine but if you get the GKN ones which are really tough then they are a sod to do. Get them really warm with a hair drier/hot water first. The Bailcast ones are a lot easier to do.

Oh and tbh it is best to just take the shaft out and clamp it in a vice. Watch your gearbox oil when you do this.

Definitely avoid the split ones you glue together unless it’s going on a rear shaft on a car where you can’t get the shaft out due to rust.

andyl
    Free Member

Oh and it is often easier to just buy the proper boot kit with a new lock ring and tap the Cv joint off.

falkirk-mark

Cheers Andy thanks for the info I will maybe have another look at the proper one. The split ones was a deffo non starter anyway.
    http://www.jandrcvjoints.co.uk/honda-civic-shuttle-cv-boot-kit-universal-stretch-p-3799.html these type

mattmbk
    Free Member

What vehicle is it? We probably fit 30 cv boots a week, use a mixture of standard and stretchy.

falkirk-mark

2002 civic vtec 1600 automatic matt

mattmbk
    Free Member

To be honest the cv joints have a tendency to get stuck on Honda shafts so you may struggle to get it off. As said above it’s easier with the shaft in a vice, angle the cv over and whack the centre cone with a blunt chisel, don’t hit the cage or it will shatter. The better quality stretch boots are pretty good these days but try and fit metal straps rather than plastic ties.

falkirk-mark

probably give the stretchy ones a try then. cheers for the input

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘driveshaft stretchy CV boots,anybody used them?’ is closed to new replies.