• This topic has 54 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Driver jailed over bike-tow death (BBC News)
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

BoardinBob – FAIL.

That is not a murder charge *blems*

richpips
    Free Member

….and if you look elsewhere, the cyclist had not only drunk four cans of cider, but had been smoking cannabis as well.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/lawandorder/5352641/Driver-jailed-for-killing-friend-while-towing-him-behind-car-on-bicycle.html

trailmonkey

But they can’t be charged.

Fail.

Police investigating the death of Leah Betts yesterday arrested a teenager in connection with supplying the drug.

A 17-year-old youth from Basildon, Essex, was charged with supplying a Class A drug and bailed to appear at Chelmsford magistrates’ on 10 January. Leah died after taking the drug at her 18th birthday party at her home in Latchingdon, Essex, on 10 November.

So, charged with supply not murder. The fail’s all yours. As for your comment about thinning the herd, well, I think I’ll just treat it with the contempt it deserves.

takisawa2

Amazing – if he’d hit a cyclist out riding his bike on a ride/commute he’d have been unlucky to lose his license.

Talk about the Law being an ass!

Most valid point yet.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

it would only really be the water company that could be charged for murdering Leah Betts 🙄

anyway, they were only doing 25 miles an hour, a speed we frequently exceed as cyclists. doing silly things is part of life, do it wrong and you pay the price. if the price is death then it serves as a lesson to others. Personally i think the sentence is harsh, i’d have preferred to see an admission of DD, driving without due care and leaving the scene of an accident with sentencing to match.

death by dangerous driving should be reserved for those who do just that, this sends out the wrong messages about punishment of drivers who kill cyclists

richpips
    Free Member

I wonder if the cyclist was wearing a helmet.

D0NK

Doesn’t say anything about the driver being under the influence and he was jailed for “dangerous driving” not “lying to the police” More bollocks from the same courts that gave you
    getting run down and killed by an unlicensed uninsured driver whilst not wearing a helmet means you are partly to blame and
    killing a few cyclists in a defective unsafe car is no biggy certainly not something to lose your license over.

Stupid yes, criminal possibly, more deserving of jail time than the 2 **** above NO!

BoardinBob

So, charged with supply not murder. The fail’s all yours. As for your comment about thinning the herd, well, I think I’ll just treat it with the contempt it deserves.

*sigh*

BoardinBob

death by dangerous driving should be reserved for those who do just that

I’d saying driving down down the road whooping with excitement while your friend, who’s under the influence of alcohol, clings to the car on a bicycle, is dangerous driving.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

it is dangerous driving but the way the car was driven did not directly cause the death, the fact that the cyclist was hanging onto it did that. I admit that the boundaries are fairly blurred though

alpin
    Free Member

we used to tie a lenght of rope to the back of the car and rag it about a field with some one the other end on a mountainboard(big wheeled off-road skateboard). great fun especially when you chucked the anchors on suddenly.

smoking cannabis as well.

we were generally very high and had been taking all sorts of concoctions. it was a private 4 acre field though.

BoardinBob

I admit that the boundaries are fairly blurred though

Yeah. I’d hazard a guess his mind wasn’t entirely on the driving.

Never mind, one less oxygen thief…

richpips
    Free Member

Driving along a road at 25 mph doesn’t sound very dangerous to me.

redthunder
    Free Member

First I’ve heard of it and I just live down the road.

There aint any MTB’s in these parts…only £99 specials.

D0NK

Whilst you may have something resembling a point BB your being pretty obtuse about it. The facts appear to be
    *Cyclist was going down the road at 25mph – most of us manage that
    *Cyclist had had 4 cans, unless they were super strong he will have been tipsy not arseholed (I’m sure plenty of us have ridden home from the pub after a few)
    *Cyclist hit a pothole or something and crashed himself into the road (easy to do)
    *May or may not have been wearing a helmet (contentious point around here)
    *Driver did not directly cause his death (it seems)

Foolish behaviour, nasty accident, not I think worthy of the amount of scorn you’re giving him/them BB.
    Very harsh verdict.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Driver jailed over bike-tow death (BBC News)’ is closed to new replies.