Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Drinking
  • SaxonRider

water: does anyone else hate it?

Each day now, when I get into the office, I fill my 750ml bottle up from the water cooler, and force myself to drink the stuff.

I know it probably makes me feel better, but I have a hard time forcing the stuff down.

Adding lemon is not very feasible, due to me having no access to a fridge; but at the end of the day, it would still just be water with a drop of lemon juice.

Am I alone in struggling with this life-essential?

andyfla
    Free Member

Nope, love the stuff, esp if cold with a few bubbles in it

somouk
    Free Member

I try and drink all of a 1.5l bottle a day, it has to be bottled water and has to be cold though.

Can’t drink it from the tap, just doesn’t taste very nice.

kiwijohn

Probably.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Stick a bottle of Robinson double strength under the desk – splash a bit in.
    No added sugar, next to nothing else either.
    Job done – £2 in Asda for a massive bottle.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

nope, it’s easy. you’re weird.

chewkw
    Free Member

Every morning before eating anything I usually drink a pint of lukewarm water with half a freshly squeezed lemon. Nothing to think about it really as I just drink it … sort of habit.

scandal42
    Free Member

Love cold water

Drac

Filtered cold water is lovely but you could try the lemon as they don’t need to be refrigerated.

andybrad

hate it, it makes me want to be sick.

With a bit of Robinsons in it its lovely however.

surfer
    Free Member

We each have a well developed signal for drinking. It is called thirst.

If you feel thirst and still dont drink that may be an issue.

In answer to your question no I like drinking water, I just dont feel the need to force feed it to myself every 15 minutes as some people do.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Get fizzy man..

T’is the only way whilst in the orrifice.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I don’t like cold water as in 6degC prefer it around 10-14degC and gulp it down.

iainc

fire some Berocca in it 🙂

beefheart
    Free Member

My boy is the same- I just tell him to MTFU.
    Or if that doesn’t work, keep a Jiff lemon squirter with you if you’ve nowhere to keep fresh lemons.

dustytrails

Love water! Love Beer too!!

SaxonRider

If you feel thirst and still dont drink that may be an issue.

I know it sounds weird, but I am not sure I know what ‘thirsty’ feels like.

I look at Mrs SR and our kids, and they have very definite times when they feel thirsty. I, on the other hand, have gone all day without drinking or urinating, and hardly noticed.

That’s one of the reasons I am now trying to be more deliberate about drinking water.

molgrips
    Free Member

Tip:

It’s easy and delicious if you are thirsty and need it. If not, it’s not.

If you aren’t appreciating it, it means you’re not thirsty. That thing about having to drink 2l of water a day has been shown to be bollocks.

To decide if you need water, just imagine drinking some. If that appeals, they you should. If not, don’t.

slowoldman

That thing about having to drink 2l of water a day has been shown to be bollocks.

Quite.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Only time i touch the stuff is when i ride or after exercising. May have somthing to do with all loss of rational thought, but water tastes better when i feel like i am dying.

P-Jay
    Free Member

There seems to be this recent (well it comes and goes) push for people to drink more water, and that’s probably a good thing – but I think the message gets a bit lost – you do need to drink water, but if you don’t like the taste of plain water, tea is fine, it’s still 90%+ water, more if you don’t take milk with it. Squash will be 99% water, because even undiluted squash is mostly water etc etc – Water is important, we will quite literally die if we don’t take in water – but it doesn’t have to be ‘just water’.

perchypanther
    Free Member

As a native of Canadia you will be unaware of the magnificence of the Vimto…..

hooli

It fine if you add something

hops, barley and malt normally 😆

tomd
    Free Member

Lettuce is 96% water, I’m fairly sure even the milky-est tea will be scraping into the 99% range.

Seriously though, what you eat matters as well. You can get a lot of water from food, and if your diet has a lot of relatively unprocessed foods, fruit and veg you will get a lot of water that way. If you live off MaccyDs and rich tea biscuits your water needs will be more.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Rooibos/Redbush tea. As hydrating as water, no caffeine, nice (well an acquired taste to some 😉 ). Tastes good with or without milk.

Oh, and you can check whether you’re getting enough water by simply looking at your pee 😉

Dark yellow, not enough. Clear, you’ve had enough, if not too much. A pale white wine colour is about right 😀

ton

I keep a tube of nuun or zero tabs at work, for when I need a col drink.
    stop me from getting cramp, which I used to suffer with from riding every day.
    not keen on plain old water tho.

miketually
    Free Member

Things that have water in them: tea, coffee, beer, wine, fruit juice, apples, pasta, salad, meat…

IHN

I know it sounds weird, but I am not sure I know what ‘thirsty’ feels like.
    I look at Mrs SR and our kids, and they have very definite times when they feel thirsty. I, on the other hand, have gone all day without drinking or urinating, and hardly noticed.
    That’s one of the reasons I am now trying to be more deliberate about drinking water.

I’m with you there. It’s very, very rare that I ‘feel’ thirsty, MrsIHN often has a go at me for not drinking ‘enough’, whatever that is.

BillMC

I could happily drown in Badoit.

Stoner
    Free Member

Twop twip I think DD passed on once was along the lines of “if you’re hungry but don’t know for what, it probably means you’re thirsty” have water instead of food.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Nottinghamshire water is awful, as is London.

Water from West Yorkshire is reet nice

monksie
    Free Member

Water? On it’s own? Yak! It’s an ingredient.
    That’s like eating flour and not cake.

taxi25
    Free Member

If when you go to the toilet your urine is a pale straw like colour and more or less odour less your getting enough fluids. If its dark and pungent you could be dehydrated, thats when you need to concern yourself about drinking more water.

Solo
    Free Member

SaxonRider – Member

water: does anyone else hate it?

Took about 6 to 8 weeks to adjust, then all good.

Different manufs do actually taste different. Volvic was too bitter for me, I’ve settled on Evian.

alpin
    Free Member

I too find water boring. Drink lots of tea, which the GF insists isn’t water… :-/

Spent a year in Australia traipsing around the outback and even then only drank maybe a litre a day.

I find a dash of Robinson’s orange and mango makes it more appealing…. Which is a problem as it’s not available in Germany. That’s why I bought about 14 litres of the stuff back with me in December.

ernie67

I know i should , but hardly ever drink it – probably why i feel so tired later in the day !

IdleJon

hammyuk – Member

Stick a bottle of Robinson double strength under the desk – splash a bit in.
    No added sugar, next to nothing else either.
    Job done – £2 in Asda for a massive bottle.

My middle daughter becomes rather hyper if she drinks too much squash. We limited her to only drinking it at meal times to dilute the impact.

There’s stuff in squash which isn’t very nice. (Doesn’t stop me from drinking it though.)

molgrips
    Free Member

Allegedly. The question about sweeteners is controversial, unless you’re a scientist.

willard

I normally have a pint in the morning with breakfast, but I have to keep reminding myself to drink more. I know I should be sipping the stuff, but I end up getting a pint and pretty much downing it.

Solo
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

Allegedly. The question about sweeteners is controversial, unless you’re a scientist.

A few Boffs at a Uni I worked at a year or so ago, wouldn’t allow their children to drink pop containing Faux sugar.

Read into that, what you wish.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Drinking’ is closed to new replies.