• This topic has 73 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Drinking 28 cans of Red Bull a day is bad for you.
  • jimjam
    Free Member
    bikebouy
    Free Member

Nope, don’t believe that.. 🙄

dirtyrider
    Free Member

It is understood Lena Lupari ballooned to 26 stone

going to have to be wings off a Boeing

martinhutch

Or bingo wings

lunge

Apparently someone needs to provide some kind of boot camp to help her keep the weight off and motivate her too…

I’ll resist the urge to comment further…

dirtyrider
    Free Member

i got to the end,

always baffles me when they make comparisons like this

One 250 ml can of Red Bull Energy Drink contains the same amount of sugar as in the same-sized apple juice

like its the same **** thing

globalti
    Free Member

She could get a job at Belfast airport kick-starting Jumbo jets.

GrahamS

idontbelievethatforasecondimonmy15thcanofrdbullanIfeellsamazings!!!1!

Mister-P
    Free Member

How can you let yourself get to 26 stone? I really don’t understand what is going on in these peoples minds. Surely you look at yourself and think “hmm, I used to have feet down there somewhere, perhaps I should do something about this”.

Are people really this stupid?

jimjam
    Free Member

Headaches for five years……..but her weight “ballooned” ?

pirahna
    Free Member

Yes.

oldnpastit

You really need to ask?

brooess
    Free Member

How did she sleep? I’m surprised she didn’t collapse from exhaustion
    Back in my Red Bull drinking days, on a night out I might have the equivalent of 4 cans and I wouldn’t sleep…and would spend the whole of the next day feeling rotten

Truly scary that someone can do this to themselves without realising they’re destroying their body, but then again people smoke, drink and eat too much all the time, it’s normalised behaviour for a lot of people… very sad when you think about it

Maybe in this case the sleep deprivation screwed with her mind so much that she didn’t realise what she was doing.

trail_rat
    Free Member

drinking your self into diabetes and the red bull woman tries to defend it with a statement which might as well say – apple juice is just as bad…..

she should have just left her comments at “everything is bad for you in excess”

she just looks like a tool.

DezB
    Free Member

really don’t understand what is going on in these peoples minds.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Surely at the point where her bowel movements started melting the toilet bowl, she should have realized that something is up?

trail_rat
    Free Member

convert

28 cans a day – I think I would go bankrupt before I went blind!

Northwind

Human beings aren’t totally rational, and more so if you’re unwell, stressed, sleep deprived, probably suffering from malnutrition and who knows what else. It is sad sometimes but, there you go. Never underestimate people’s capacity to deceive or harm themselves. All you can really do, is try not to be a **** about it.

somafunk

I find the story hard to believe, surely no one can be that ignorant of nutritional needs, and if the story is genuine then i don’t wish to consider what she has been feeding her kids.

‘I don’t want a gastric band or surgery but I think they should offer help for someone with this and to motivate them – something like a boot camp,’ she said.

I’d offer her help but if i voiced exactly what that help consisted of i imagine i’d get a banning.

andyl
    Free Member

Not the image I saw the other day which had piles of sugar but this is something everyone should see and understand (it’s not hard):

I am now an avid label reader on foods and the flavoured water thing is something that has really shocked me.

andyl
    Free Member

going to have to be wings off a Boeing

😀

Airbus wings are better though IMO 😉 , this just needs photoshopping to show cans of redbull being fed in!

GrahamS

the flavoured water thing is something that has really shocked me.

I’m a bit confused by the infographic andyl.

It seems to imply that Volvic Touch of Lemon and Lime (with 5.5g sugar and 22kcal per 100ml)

Is more sugary than Coke (with10.6g sugar and 42kcal per 100ml)

That’s not right!

The flavoured Volvic isn’t great – but it’s not THAT bad!

lemonysam
    Free Member

It seems to imply that Volvic Touch of Lemon and Lime:

I think it’s comparing a litre and a half of Volvic to a half litre of coke.

andyl
    Free Member

bottle is bigger. The sugar shows the total for the quantity shown.

I don’t know about you but if I have a coke I have a small 300-400ml can/bottle but when I have water I generally drink 750ml+ (probably due to what I am doing or I am out in the sun etc).

crazy-legs

A guy I used to work with seemed to live on Red Bull and coffee.
    He had serious jitters and tics and he also seemed to be in the toilet on a semi-permanent basis. Stories of the sounds that used to emanate from “Trap 4” (his favourite cubicle but also a play on the old cartoon The Trapdoor) were legendary.

That poor toilet got a full carpet bombing run every hour!

kimbers

dirtyrider – Member
    i got to the end,

One 250 ml can of Red Bull Energy Drink contains the same amount of sugar as in the same-sized apple juice

diabetes is diabetes, no matter how you acquire your sugar

xc-steve
    Free Member

I prefer this info graphic:

tthew

I didn’t think that the woman in the OP’s suggestion that she didn’t want a perceived ‘quick fix’ of gastric surgery, but wanted help with diet and exercise unreasonable, in fact given her predicament actually seems sensible.

My only slight issue is that she thinks the NHS should provide it, but maybe this as the first intervention from a GP is more sensible, (and sustainable) than the pills/knife approach that people seem to expect, (in my understanding)

richmtb

i got to the end,

Sugar is sugar. Once it gets past your mouth your body doesn’t care where it came from, it all has to be dealt with the same way.

There isn’t a special organ that sorts out nice sugar from fruit juice and nasty sugar from Red Bull

hora
    Free Member

28 a day every day?

I once had 2-3 with vodka on a night out. The next day I was tetchy. Very tetchy.

What concerns me is common sense. You pick up alot from adults around you. Poor kids.

GrahamS

I think it’s comparing a litre and a half of Volvic to a half litre of coke.

I think I would call that misleading and possibly disingenuous.

don’t know about you but if I have a coke..

I don’t touch full fat Coke unless I’m seriously hungover. 😀

P-Jay
    Free Member

Mister P – Member

How can you let yourself get to 26 stone? I really don’t understand what is going on in these peoples minds. Surely you look at yourself and think “hmm, I used to have feet down there somewhere, perhaps I should do something about this”.

The brain can be cruel sometimes, we’d be foolish to think that the conscious part is completely in control of the rest of it.

Over-eating, or in this case over-drinking is addictive, subtly, but terribly so – if she stopped drinking so much he brain would make her unhappy, make her headache and generally feel like shit, but when she feeds her addiction her brain makes her feel happy.

Same goes for self-image – she looks in the mirror, see’s a 25 stone land-whale, with rotten teeth and terrible skin – unhappy, she could spend the next 4-5 years on the road to recovery and feel happy again, or spent the next 2-5 minutes drinking Redbull and feel happy now – her unconscious brain will be playing tricks on her all the way too. Some people just aren’t programed to live well in a environment of over-abundance.

Perhaps this will be the next stage of human evolution – those whose genetic make-up makes them over indulge, will reproduce less either because they die or can’t find a mate – I doubt it though, we’re too good at keeping people alive, at least way past the point they’re of reproducing age.

convert

I was teaching in a school that let the kids out at lunchtime and there was a period where the yr8s became virtually unteachable, hyper and constantly needing the loo in the afternoons. We went through the usual thoughts about drugs etc then we worked out that the local tesco metro store up the road was doing its own brand redbull 1lt bottles on a bogof for about 99p and the fashionable dare of the week was to chug both bottles in a sitting. A 13yr old with 2 litres of redbull inside them is batshit crazy.

crazy-legs

I didn’t think that the woman in the OP’s suggestion that she didn’t want a perceived ‘quick fix’ of gastric surgery, but wanted help with diet and exercise unreasonable, in fact given her predicament actually seems sensible.

My only slight issue is that she thinks the NHS should provide it,

Agree with that, she needs educating.
    Did anyone see that Jamie Oliver series a little while ago where he taught basic, quick cook recipes to people who then taught it to others?

The people he was teaching – OMG. He congratulated one woman on how clean her oven was and she said “oh I’ve never used it, don’t even know how to turn it on”

😯

The family just lived on takeaways at £10+ a day and she wondered why she had no money. 🙄 But once taught that £10 could buy her a week’s worth of veg that could be made into meals and frozen she was off.

brooess
    Free Member

Some people just aren’t programed to live well in a environment of over-abundance.

I think people in general. Most of the time humans have been around have been times of scarcity of nutrition, that’s why we used to have to hunt the animals – they didn’t walk calmly to the door of the cave and jump onto the fire…

Now we have over-abundance of calories, it’s the usual story of survival of the fittest/harm to the least fit.

‘Fittest’ = those who recognise we live in an age of overabundance and face daily barriers to living healthily, and adapt their behaviour accordingly e.g. don’t buy the coke and burgers, ride to work instead of drive, go for a walk at lunchtime instead of sitting at the desk etc.

The main downside to this being in a country with a taxpayer-funded health service means the financial cost of reduced productivity and medical care is shared across the whole population, rather than being proportionally borne by the least fit, which then leaves no disincentive to change unhealthy behaviour… it’s going to get worse before it gets better IMO

GrahamS

being in a country with a taxpayer-funded health service means the financial cost of reduced productivity and medical care is shared across the whole population, rather than being proportionally borne by the least fit

But the good news is that the least fit also have to pay for things for the “fit” like our world-class cycle infrastructure…

…oh.

P-Jay
    Free Member

brooess – Member

Some people just aren’t programed to live well in a environment of over-abundance.

I think people in general. Most of the time humans have been around have been times of scarcity of nutrition, that’s why we used to have to hunt the animals – they didn’t walk calmly to the door of the cave and jump onto the fire…

Now we have over-abundance of calories, it’s the usual story of survival of the fittest/harm to the least fit.

‘Fittest’ = those who recognise we live in an age of overabundance and face daily barriers to living healthily, and adapt their behaviour accordingly e.g. don’t buy the coke and burgers, ride to work instead of drive, go for a walk at lunchtime instead of sitting at the desk etc.

The main downside to this being in a country with a taxpayer-funded health service means the financial cost of reduced productivity and medical care is shared across the whole population, rather than being proportionally borne by the least fit, which then leaves no disincentive to change unhealthy behaviour… it’s going to get worse before it gets better IMO

I agree with most of your points, but I’m not sure our taxpayer funded health system contributes to the problem – the US of course, has had an obesity problem for longer than we have, and is worse in terms of sufferers as a percentage of population.

I personally has seen a slight turn in the tide – there will always be a small (in number) hardcore of people who either don’t care about their health – or have convinced themselves they’re special – like the smokers of 10 years ago who used to spout “My Nan smoked 40 a day and lived till 96” as some sort of evidence it was all nonsense, but for the most part the dangers of being over-weight are no well known, but more importantly accepted by most people and habits are changing slowly – nationally alcohol consumption is down, tobacco consumption is down, ‘bad food’ consumption will follow, if it’s not already happening now.

Northwind

I was with you up til:

brooess – Member

leaves no disincentive to change unhealthy behaviour

Being unhealthy remains a disincentive in itself. And the unhealthy person still does lose the benefits of health and productivity; they’re just less likely to be destroyed by it.

rocketman
    Free Member

^^ this

I’ve a relative who can’t say no to any opportunity – work/play/sex/food you name it he takes it. He’s a big unit and food is the easiest indulgence. He’s not stupid he has a good degree and is handsomely rewarded at work. It’s just how he is

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Drinking 28 cans of Red Bull a day is bad for you.’ is closed to new replies.