Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Drink Drive Limit
  • greasystain
    Free Member

Roughly how many units of alcohol can an average man drink before being over the limit?

cynic-al
    Free Member

3 IIRC

jon1973
    Free Member

…the only crime is getting caught!

Or killing someone perhaps. Best advise is to obstain completely.

trail_rat
    Free Member

if you have to think about being over the limit – your probably over the limit thats my rule …

1 pint 5 hours ago – wouldnt bother me … if i had a pint 20 mins ago , id have a doubt in my mind and wouldnt drive

philjunior
    Free Member

OK, it might depend on a number of factors, but there must be a reasonably conservative maximum, assuming you're a tiny girl who absorbs alcohol instantly?

Also, I note the roughly in the OP.

Used to limit myself to 1 drink on a night out if driving, but gone back to 0 now as sometimes even 1 drink is noticeable (e.g. when a bit tired or hungry anyway), and although I drive slower to compensate, it's less fun feeling like that…

Drink cycling on the other hand is a well good laugh, especially when you have enough so that you no longer notice that you're wobbly.

meehaja
    Free Member

at 18 I failed a breatahliser, having just had 1 pint of carling about 10 mins prior. Passed on the blood test but it was enough to scare the S**T out of me. No alcohol for driving IMO

donsimon
    Free Member

philjunior – Member

OK, it might depend on a number of factors, but there must be a reasonably conservative maximum, assuming you're a tiny girl who absorbs alcohol instantly?

Also, I note the roughly in the OP.

There used to be something like a pint an hour, providing you had eaten well. Many years ago I drank 4 pints over a 5 hour period, didn't feel drunk, everything was perfect. The Police are automatically called to RTAs when the ambulance is called.

What is the drink driving limit?
    In the UK the drink driving limit is:

35 micrograms of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath;

I gave a reading of 37. 12 month ban, 100 quid fine, 10 year endorsement on my licence, lots of entertainment for the insurance companies when I tried to get back on the road (think of a number, multiply it by 2 etc…)

Not a point since though on a 27 year old licence. 😀

edit: if you think my comment above was serious….. 🙄

greasystain
    Free Member

'Cheers' guys.

I think I'll do my usual tonight and stick to 1 pint of weak beer.

theotherjonv

why bother with that?

If you must have 'beer'; my uncle starts with a pint and when half gone tops it up with a bottle of alcohol free. When half is gone, top it up again. You don't notice the slow change from beer to alcohol free, certainly not as much as starting with a pint and then changing or even going onto a/f straight off.

fisha
    Free Member

just dont have the drink. end of. no worry, no hassle, no risk.

you dont NEED to have the beer, do you ?

cynic-al
    Free Member

If you're out for a few hours you can have more than one.

sofatester
    Free Member

If you going to drive don't drink.

Is it really that hard for you to go out and not consume alcohol?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Is it really that hard for you to not be sanctimonious?

Drac

I don't touch it if I'm driving don't see the point.

It's the best way of being safe and has nothing to do with "Well I'll pass the breathalyser" it's about being safe to drive. So ignore this "3 units" and "your out for a few hours have another" is my advice. Still then again I regular see the consequences of these "Well I only had a couple" people.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

What fisha said, nice and simple.

donsimon
    Free Member

I, on the other hand, wasn't being sanctimonious, a true story. I thought I would have been under the limit, but hey, live and learn. I was young and thought I knew it all.

soobalias
    Free Member

to each their own.
    if im out with someone who has three pints i wouldnt bat an eyelid, if they have a fourth, i would suggest leaving the car.

that said i dont interfere by, for example, asking drivers to turn their mobile phones off, turn the stereo down, not smoke etc

there are no rules, do what you want. there are laws, break them, get caught, deal with the consequences.

MrNutt
    Free Member

drink any, don't drive.
    tiered, don't drive.

its not rocket science, living with an innocent child's death on your conscience is not worth it.

soobalias
    Free Member

then dont ever drive, just in case
    and dont drink nescafe or eat kit-kat
    or shop in primark

a quick google search seems to show that coke, tobacco and macdonalds might be bad too.

sofatester
    Free Member

Is it really that hard for you to not be sanctimonious?

You never disappoint cynic-al 😉

Zukemonster
    Free Member

The UK legal limit for drivers is 80 mg of alcohol per 100 ml of blood, often referred to as a BAC or blood-alcohol concentration. In US terms this would be expressed as 0.08%. This is alternatively expressed in terms of breath alcohol – 35 µg (microgrammes) per 100 ml (which is now the usual official measure in the UK), or alcohol in the urine – 107 mg per 100 ml.

This is often reckoned to be equivalent to two pints of ordinary strength beer which, for a man of average weight, is broadly true, but should not be used as a general rule – see Drink-Driving Guidelines. It is impossible to draw an accurate correlation between the amount of alcohol consumed and the resulting peak BAC, and anyone trying to "drink up to the limit" runs a serious risk of exceeding it."

I think that was what you were looking for.

DrP

…if i'm out with someone who has three pints i wouldnt bat an eyelid…

Not being sanctimonious, but that's over 7 units! Over the recommended intake full stop, let alone the drink-drive limit!

If I was with someone who'd had 3 pints and picked up some keys, I'd act pretty sharpish to stop them!

DrP

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

The only safe limit is a zero limit…..

JulianA
    Free Member

Is there a breathaliser (sp?) approved by the police that would tell us whether or not we would be OK to drive? I think there should be…

Never been sure about this, but have never felt the urge to chance it so I don't.

jam-bo

s there a breathaliser (sp?) approved by the police that would tell us whether or not we would be OK to drive? I think there should be…

my local pub used to have one on the wall.

until it turned into a regular who could get the highest reading competetion…

ross980
    Free Member

I agree with the people who say have nothing. Having said that I'll sometimes have a pint of shandy if I'm driving, but that's it. If the limit was reduced further I wouldn't bother have anything. I'm still surprised there are people out there that think having 2 pints of Stella and driving is acceptable (I know a few people like that… 😕 )

I think it would help if pubs actually served some nice non-alcoholic drinks. Bavaria do a quite nice 0.0% ABV Beer that my wife drank when she was pregnant, if they served that on tap drivers wouldn't have drink horrible syrupy soft drinks.

Kevevs
    Free Member

If I'm drinking, I take my pub bike, that's what it's for, and wobbling home is part of the fun. Drinking anything and getting behind the wheel is just asking for trouble IMO.

Edric64
    Free Member

you dont NEED to have the beer, do you ?

Yes ABSOLUTELY

TiRed

Unless you are a heavy drinker, your body removes alcohol at about 1-1.5 units per hour. Drink a pint – gone in 2 hours… Longer than most people think. Drunkeness will result if you consume faster than this rate (and for most people it's a LOT faster!). So it's quite easy to be over the limit after a heavy night out the following morning.

Personally, I might have a glass of fine wine with a meal, or 1-2 units of beer of an evening out.

PS I work on drug concentrations for a living 🙄

Junkyard
    Free Member

what is the point drinking one of you are not going to get drunk never understood that tbh. I rarely drink but if I do I get drunk?
    Aby alcohol will impare you so probably best not to.
    I am trying to be politely sanctimonious diy iy work?

Kato

"I gave a reading of 37. 12 month ban, 100 quid fine, 10 year endorsement on my licence, lots of entertainment for the insurance companies when I tried to get back on the road"

You wouldn't be charged if you blew 37 these days

Kevevs
    Free Member

you gotta blow 37 to get off these days?, it was only a seargeant back in the day. etc.

samuri
    Free Member

don't drink (anything) and drive, if you can't keep this simple rule in place, seek mental help.

TheFlyingOx

The Police are automatically called to RTAs when the ambulance is called.

True, and they don't even breathalise you now. When I crashed the only way it's possible to crash in an MR2 (backwards and into a hedge) the ambulance was called cos apparently it looked so bad. The rozzers turned up about 5 minutes later, and the pin-prick test the ambulance guys did apparently gave my blood alcohol level.

I'd say that no beer is about as much beer as you can have before driving.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Drink Drive Limit’ is closed to new replies.