Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Drilling out presta rims
  • Pook

Will drilling out presta rims to fit schrader completely destroy the strength of the wheel, or is the 1mm increase not enought to worry about for not nasty XC riding?

davey_clayton
    Free Member

I did it on a pair of v brake wheels (mavic 318 or something?), nothing to worry about imo. Probably even less of an issue on disc wheels unless they're weight weenie light to begin with. Don't sue me though!

skiprat
    Free Member

Pook, have done that on a set of wheels before and had no problems with them after. Just be careful that the rim is wide enough to take the bigger hole ie. on the flat bit of the rim, not going onto the sloping sides.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    goldenwonder
    Free Member

I've done it several times, do it carefully & it'll be fine

nickc

Makes no difference whatsoever

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I've been doing it for years, on all different sorts of rims, no problem at all.

It really is a tiny amount of metal that you remove. Just make sure to file off the burrs carefully

Pook

Ok perhaps more importantly, will they then lose their flexibility to be used as tubeless if I'm that way inclined?

Pook

anyone?

Onzadog
    Free Member

On stan's strips, you need to drill the inner well but not the outer. However, I see no reason why you couldn't use a stepped lockring if you wanted to go tubeless. It's just something to stop the valve stem wiggling around.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Drilling out presta rims’ is closed to new replies.