Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Drilling out cable stops to take a continuous outer cable
  • wheeliejim
    Free Member

Is this possible? Anyone tried it?

Hopefully you know what I’m talking about….!

coatesy
    Free Member

Did it on one of mine recently, if you drill to 4mm you can still go back to split outers if that sort of thing bothers you. I’d suggest Shimano SP41 outer as it’s pre-greased, and sealed end caps to keep any crap out.Well worth doing in the present climate.

renton
    Free Member

yep i done it on one of my previous bikes.

fairly easy to do.

cheers

steve

scaredypants

yeh, me
    at least twice. once was Ti frame though I suppose the guides may well have been alu anyway. drill chuck likely to come VERY close to your tubing so watch it

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Iv done it on a few frames used a dremell works fine if you carefully open the smaller side of the cable stop out so the outter passes through it, then still works as a cable guide.
    Theres a vid on youtube of someone doing it

ruscle
    Free Member

I’m sure you can get little fixings to insert into the existing guides and they have a clamp to hold your continuous outer, probably from crc and maybe by Jagwire not sure though.

coatesy
    Free Member

A2Z do the fixings, godawful things they are, drilling out the guide’s a much better solution in my opinion.

scaredypants

yeh, those fixings rust within about 2hrs of fitting

Neil-F
    Free Member

I’ve drilled on my hardtail for gear cables. No adverse affects. 😀

rangerbill

I did it a couple of years ago on a Spesh with cabling designed like a U-bend. The only problem is as its full suss it can turn into an automatic if the suspension gets a good work out whilst pedaling. Anyone got a link to those crimps/clamps?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Drilling out cable stops to take a continuous outer cable’ is closed to new replies.