Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Drilling out bolts question.
  • relboy
    Free Member

I need to drill out the bolt holding the cleats in my shoes. Never done it, is it just a case of narrow drill bit and straight down the bolt. Do I need a specific bit?

Thanks in advance.

Smee
    Free Member

Something tough and sharp. Cleat bolts seem to be made of undrillium.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

if an ordinary dril won't do it cobalt tipped ones are the thing to go for. There is a good chance that once the head comes off the bolt then you should be able to remove the plate with the stub of the bolt and molegrips might take the stub out.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Very thin bit first in the dead centre. use a punch to make sure you get it in the middle. then a lightly larger bit. You only need to take the head off the bolt to remove the cleat.

snaps
    Free Member

If you're buying a drill bit to do the job, get a left handed flute bit http://www.toolbank.com/90/p/DORA101200 the principle is that the torque from the drill is working in the 'undo' rotation direction.

swamp_boy

They are extremely hard but you only need to get the screw heads off to shift the cleat. If all else fails careful application of a small angle grinder will do the job. Once both heads are off you can get the back plate out of the shoe and the screw stubs will usually shift with mole grips.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

i melted the sole on spesh bg comps doing it with a shit drill bit

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Drilling out bolts question.’ is closed to new replies.