Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Drilling old Orange 5 for dropper seat post remote
  • ElVino

I have which I am very happy for my occasional off road ventures, XC only and wheels never deliberately leave the ground.

I picked up a 27.2 KS LEV eTENi Integra dropper which I want to an old Orange 5 fit but the frame has no hole for the cable to the remote switch.

I am going to drill the frame, I’m just trying to decide where. Has anyone done this? Any advice – bit size / type etc.
    Not bothered about warranty issues just want to minimise risk of sudden frame failure. I have searched for forum posts on this and most refer to cutting a slot for a reverb stealth.
    thanks
    EV

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Forgive my possible probable stupidity but isn’t it going to be the same as a slot for the Reverb except being round?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Round doesn’t work as the cable has to be angled to go in. I’ve done it to a frame, just do it where they do it on the new frame. I don’t think they add any reinforcement usually, same as a bottle cage boss hole.

jam-bo

Drill 2 pilot holes, drill 2 bigger holes, file the bit between them out to make a slot. Did it to my pre-stealth bandit 18 months ago and not died yet.

wwaswas

http://syntace.my1.cc/liteville/pdf/RockShox_Reverb_Stealth_an_Liteville_engl.pdf

This is a useful guide.

you may need a slightly smaller hole for the KS as it won;t have the gubbins on the end of the cable outer.

TheOtherJamie
    Free Member

Orange sell the necessary grommets.

Link

honourablegeorge

Reverb has no gubbins on the end of the cable either, just a bare hose that threads onto a remote.

wwaswas

depends which end you’re shoving into the hole honourablegeorge 🙂

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I have done it on 2 frames with no ill effects, doing it to another frame today, CRC sell Vitus cable glands that make it look factory.
    One of the frames (carbon) I drilled then elongated a bottle cage boss.

ElVino

Thanks for responses, just purchased the Vitus cable gland, do you glue it in the slot?

honourablegeorge

wwaswas – Member
    depends which end you’re shoving into the hole honourablegeorge

I always insert in in the traditional fashion before screwing it on. Ahem.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

The Vitus cable gland just pushes in.

ElVino

The Vitus cable gland just pushes in

Any chance you could send a photo of the finished slot and what size drill bit you used?

ta
    EV

Northwind

Thing about grommets and things is they require a bigger hole. I drilled the smallest hole I could possibly get away with then stuck one of these over the top:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Look-Internal-Brake-Cable-Frame/dp/B00KSF23CA
    And added a wee oring to the cable so I can roll it up to the hole. It’s not sealed but it’s shielded.

For drilling the hole, one thing is, keep it somewhere easy to work on. With Cy’s help I got an ideal hole position engineering wise for my hemlock, but it was a total bastard to actually drill and tidy the hole, because of the downtube. I realised after that locating it off to one side would have alleviated this. So when/if I do my Dune I’ll do this- and instead of drilling multiple holes etc I hope to pilot it then do a single angled hole the right width, neat and minimal.

andyg1966

Factory ones have the hole on the down tube just in front of the shock. If you can get the cable round the BB, I’d go for a hole there, might be a pain to drill though.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I had a Canyon Gland spare, the slot was 8mmx28mm, which seems quite big when you are drilling into the frame.

El Vino – PM me and I will send a photo (otherwise I will forget)

brennak

With Cy’s help I got an ideal hole position engineering wise for my hemlock

When I asked for advice for my Rocket was told not under any circumstances to put any holes in the frame whatsoever as all kinds of catastropies would befall

Northwind

Different frame innit. FWIW that drilled front triangle is one of the few bits of my Hemlock that I never wore out and broke 😆

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Drilling old Orange 5 for dropper seat post remote’ is closed to new replies.