Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • drilling nukeproof frame bb to let water out
  • crashmagnet
    Free Member

Just wondered if anybody else has had this issue. Got a mega tr and took the crankset out yesterday to fit a chain guide. Whilst I was there I removed the bottom bracket to clean it up and to my surprise a load of water poorer out. I can only assume it’s got in there when rinsing the bike off after washing where it has become trapped, maybe through the dropper cable hole in the seat tube (I have no dropper fitted).
    I’ve drilled two small holes in the underside of the frame. Has anybody else had this issue and done something similar?

tomd
    Free Member

I drilled a hole in the BB shell on my salsa el mariachi to let the water out. It gets in down the seat tube from riding in wet weather and washing. I’ve yet to die

davewalsh
    Free Member

There are big 4 holes in the shell already (downtube, seat tube & chainstays), I very much doubt a small drain hole will make a difference in strength. I drilled my Inbred and didn’t die 🙂

lesgrandepotato

You should mark it as an out hole. If it’s not clearly marked water may go in the in hole. Marker pen will suffice

ninfan
    Free Member

did the same with my Nicolai years ago – even got permission from them first!

For the really anal, I believe action tec in the states still do one way BB drain valves…

crashmagnet
    Free Member

Yeah, I’m not worried about the structural integrity, just wondered if this was a common occurrence with other frames. It sounds like it is. I wonder why manufacturers don’t drill drain holes in frames.

svalgis
    Free Member

I wonder why manufacturers don’t drill drain holes in frames.

My MegaTR is the first frame I’ve owned that doesn’t have one under the BB.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

My Jekyll was the same this week. Took the cranks off to find a pool of water in the bb shell. Thing is BB30’s are just bearings sitting in water, no inner shell , like HT2 bearings, which is why the bearings were rumbling. The downtube wraps under the BB shell, so not sure if it would be sensible to drill. I have taken the seatpost out and totally smothered in coppaslip to stop the water going down there, but it must go down the slot, which is at the back of the seat tube, just in front of the back wheel, chucking muck up !!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘drilling nukeproof frame bb to let water out’ is closed to new replies.