Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Drilling an alloy frame
  • flange
    Free Member

Say for example you had an old alloy frame that you love, but you’re not precious about. Next to said frame you have a box with a Di2 groupset in it. Would it be ok to drill two 5.5 mm holes in the frame so I could run the cables internally?

Frame is an old Airborne disc frame so not the lightest. Thinking of one hole on the downtube and one at the mech end of the chainstay. Firey ball of death likely?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

My dad drilled and tapped my Zaskar Le frame at some point in the late 90s to bolt on a crud catcher instead of using the elastic bands, m4 bolts probably

Was fine until the headtube parted from the frame in an unrelated incident

swamptin
    Free Member

Judging from what trials riders do to lighten their frames I’m gonna go with ‘Sure, provided you’re not drilling through the welds themselves’.

andyl
    Free Member

All I will say is it’s up to you and you would have to be very unlucky to cause a problem.

Just obviously don’t do it close to any welds and use a decent drill bit (not a Silverline 10 for £1 jobby) and some lubricant if you have some wouldn’t go amiss as it makes for a nicer hole and keeps the bit in good condition. Which reminds me I need to find mine.

flange
    Free Member

Cheers gents, will (hopefully) report back on my findings

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Drilling an alloy frame’ is closed to new replies.