Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Drilling a hole in my Ti BB shell…
  • rone

Got a great bike – a Travers Russti.

A small issue – because I ride it and clean it a lot water is getting in the frame holes for cables and draining down into my BB. I’ve now gone through two BBs in a 1000 miles.The bearings are clearly getting their share of water.

It could be fixed with less cleaning and being careful not to get water in there but I was thinking about drilling a small drain hole in the BB shell.

Any thoughts or experiences on doing this?

My warranty would be partially intact but understandably if I create a problem because of my drilling and it cracks , it won’t be covered.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Probably easiest to store it in an upright position, assuming it’s got little holes near the rear dropouts

RoterStern
    Free Member

I had a similar problem with my Seven Sola Ti and all it took was a quick email to ask if I drilled the BB shell would it void the warranty. Go ahead they said no problem. So I did with no issues since.

Dickyboy

Be brave and drill it – I did to mine and had no issues

rone

Excellent, I thought I’d be the only one. What size – 3mm or so?

(It is stored upright, not sure if that’s worked for me.)

Also why don’t they come drilled?

epicyclo

Drilling a hole in the BB was how we kept our bearings in good nick back when they weren’t sealed.

Letting the water out prevents most of the damage.

The quality frames often came with huge cutouts.

Obviously we used to oil the BB regularly.

damascus
    Free Member

I’d email the bike company and ask for some advice first.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve always done it if the bb shell is not one solid piece. 3mm hole at lowest point in storage position.

rone

I’ve always done it if the bb shell is not one solid piece

Sorry, what you mean by that?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I did this recently on my carbon HT. Slightly daunting but now works fine. BB was nice and dry last time I checked.

Onzadog
    Free Member

My current bike has a one piece bb shell doesn’t have any other frame tubes draining into it. The only way in or out is through the threads/axle.

rone

Ah I get it.

Ta.

scotroutes

Stop washing it so often.

epicyclo

If you are worried about a hole in the bottom of your BB letting water in, just put a wee blob of thick grease on it.

Then if any appreciable amount of water gathers, it will simply give way and allow it to escape.

rone

Stop washing it so often

Doing 120+ miles off road a week on just that bike, so it’s never going to happen otherwise I would be riding a lump of mud.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’ve drilled new frames before they’ve even been ridden.

rone

So best to put the hole facing downwards based on storage position. So my bikes are vertical, which would make the hole to the back of the shell rather than the bottom?

shermer75
    Free Member

I’d say that if you are storing your bikes vertically then a hole in the bb may not be the solution you are looking for, because water is unlikely to collect there. What kind of bbs are you using?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’ve drilled new frames before they’ve even been ridden.

😯

Let’s hope there wasn’t a sizing/warranty issue…

rone

I’d say that if you are storing your bikes vertically then a hole in the bb may not be the solution you are looking for, because water is unlikely to collect there. What kind of bbs are you using?

I’ve gone through a cheap-ass gusset, then a praxis (which I’ve never worn out so quick) and now a Hope 46/24.

The water is coming in through the frame holes for the internal cables. The idea is it drains when stored? Am I not on the right track?

oxym0r0n

Surely, speak to Travers, as they are UK based…

rone

Surely, speak to Travers, as they are UK based…

As per my original post about the warranty. Have spoken to them.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Or drill it in the bottom and leave the bike to stand for ten minutes after washing. It’s only the larger amounts of water you need to shift. If the little bit left is so long it can’t reach the bearings, it can’t do any harm. Are a certain point, it becomes about letting air in rather than water out.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Drilling a hole in my Ti BB shell…’ is closed to new replies.