Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Drilling a frame for a Stealth dropper… ?
  • renton
    Free Member

So I have a 2014 Stumpjumper evo frame and am looking to fit a dropper post.

This bike came with a none stealth specialized command post but I just cant seem to find one any more.

So Im looking at fitting a stealth model which would mean drilling the frame somewhere?

Has anyone done this before?

Would you recommend doing it or not?

Cheers

Steve

Bregante

There’s a thread here but that’s on a steel hardtail. Personally I wouldn’t but I’m a cack-handed buffoon.

singlespeedstu

This bike came with a none stealth specialized command post but I just cant seem to find one any more.

Other none stealth droppers are available.

prettygreenparrot

I’d drill it. But maybe this is a good reason to get a new bike?

jam-bo

Yep. Drilled two frames now. A slot is better than a hole. Drill two small pilot holes. Drill two bigger holes. 6mm for reverb hose from memory. File out the gap between them.

Look at where later models have the hole and do it there.

Edit: both out of warranty and I don’t really care about resale value.

robbo76
    Free Member

If it’s a new frame no because it would make the frame warranty void

Tracey

Whats up with the old post, can Specialized sort it.

Euro
    Free Member

The non steath Command post from my Stumpy Evo?

Northwind

I did my Hemlock and no ill effects, but it was ancient and worthless.

kayak23

Cheap reverbs knocking about with external remote at the moment. Otherwise drill it.

renton
    Free Member

It had a reverb on when I bought it but wanted a post with a bit of layback so sold it !

Frame is from 2014 and Im not the original owner so not fussed about warranty.

If I could find a decent layback non stealth dropper under a ton Id be happy!

kayak23

Stealth posts are just so much nicer, without all that cable.
    Drill it 🙂

jamesfts
    Free Member

Drill it. If the cable routing is the same as the enduro (under the down tube) the neatest way is to drill just above the bb on the underside of the down tube. I’ve photos of how I drilled my enduro if they’d be of any use.

I’ve since drilled my Meta ht but at the head tube, Much neater than external routing and no problems of done sensibly.

ctk
    Free Member

Might reduce sell on price.

tazzymtb

given the speed in which you swap frames/bikes I’d probably hold fire and give it couple of weeks when you will have something else anyway 😀

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I have stealthified 3 frames now (2 alloy, 1 carbon) they have all been well ridden with no issues.
    Wouldn’t do it to an expensive frame thats still under warranty.

lardman
    Free Member

I think that you might find the frame is ‘stealth ready’ as it is. Under the downtube, there are some of those cable ‘bats’ (as specialized call them) which bolt on to secure the cables. If you remove the lowest one, close to the bottom bracket, is there a hole there already? I think on some frames there is.

I’m not next to it right now, but i’m pretty sure my 2014 stumpy EVO does have this already.

lardman
    Free Member

It might be my Enduro EVO that has this, not the Stumpy.

nixie

Buy a Vyron – no drilling required 😀

renton
    Free Member

Thanks all,

Im not selling this one on, keeping it as I like it(heard it all before yadda yadda!!)

The top tube is drilled already but the cable comes out of the top tube where the shock bolts to it!

Not sure where I would drill this one for full stealth?

Tracey

On the carbon Enduro and Stumpjumper the cable only becomes stealth near the bottom of the downtube where it enters the frame. If that makes sense.

stu170
    Free Member

Put the drill down armra!

renton
    Free Member

Lol Whats the worst that could happen !!!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Drilling a frame for a Stealth dropper… ?’ is closed to new replies.