Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Drilling a carbon frame crazy right?
  • muddytrackers
    Free Member

Has anyone ever or thought about drilling holes into a carbon frame to allow the cable to be all neat and tidy inside the frame? I know that carbon repairers cut and glue carbon fiber back together, just looking at my gt zasker 2017 model and wish the cables were inside the frame!!

Anyone share any knowledge?

Thanks

tomhoward

wish the cables were inside the frame!!

Be VERY careful what you wish for.

aracer
    Free Member

Totally daft idea if you’re not an expert – the repairers aren’t generally leaving a hole, and bridge across any bits they do cut.

Saccades
    Free Member

I got an expert to do mine, used the correct drill to cut the carbon threads instead of pulling and then sealed up with resin.

That small hole on the downtube – appear to have lost the close up piccie (will keep looking as it is bugging me).

30 seconds later…

chakaping
    Free Member

Have you had a bike with internal routing before?

External is a big plus point for me.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Internal routing? Men!

I spent over an hour routing my lads Orange Five and then had to bleed the rear brake

Though at least I can hear him on his bike from about half a mile away

nickdavies

Even if you could just drill it you’ve still got to allow access to do the cabling… internal cabling is a nightmare even with the big ports you normally get on carbon frames. No way I’d want to do it with just a hole.

You also can’t get any foam outer in without a big port – without that it’s noisier than a box of spanners in a washing mashine…

cookeaa

I own one bike with internal routing, its mainly faffing and bollocks, and was only invented to keep aesthetes and tarts happy…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Drilling a carbon frame crazy right?’ is closed to new replies.