Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Dried pulses: storage life when cooked?
  • cinnamon_girl

OK, so these will be more healthy than the tinned variety? So, once cooked, how long can they be kept for, in a fridge presumably?

Any recommendations?

As always, thanks. 🙂

Edit: apparently they can be frozen so that’s useful to know.

lodious
    Free Member

Out of a fridge I think I read it’s a couple of days before they start fermenting.

Junkyard
    Free Member

it depends about 5 days ish as an average but thats pushing it

grahamb
    Free Member

A few days. Keep them in water & change it daily.

As you say, you can freeze them. I cook a kilo of chickpeas at a time & freeze them.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for the replies. It’s a shame that they are sold in such large quantities, unless they can be bought loose anywhere?

Presumably when frozen keep for a month?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I generally don’t eat owt that’s gone furry, but apart from that most things are ok.

grahamb
    Free Member

I can think of a couple of pay & weigh places locally that sell them loose.

I buy mine in 500g bags, which doesn’t seem like a lot. I only cook in bulk because the need for 24 hr soaking. (Tip, a teaspoon or two of bicarb in the soaking water with chickpeas reduces the cooking time).

If you make a lot of veggie burgers/falafel etc with soaked & ground but uncooked chickpeas, you can freeze them soaked & ground.

Edit: i’m sure mine keep frozen for a lot longer than a month.

Solo
    Free Member

CG.

In an Addis box, in the fridge, you’re looking at a day or two, ime.

Frozen, quite a long time, a month or three.

But as usual, youll know when you get your 3 month box/bag of pulses from the freezer and defrosted, whether they are good

Whats the deal on these pulses then ?.
    Are you a life long appreciator, or a newbie.
    If the later, whats brought about the inclusion of pulses into your diet ?.
    Just curious like.
    😉

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I’ve kept dhal in the fridge for a week fine. It may keep longer, but I’ve always eaten it by then 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

in freezer months I do 2 kg of chick peas and just eat them as required Suspect i eat at three months tbh

cinnamon_girl

Thanks again. 🙂

Solo (also known as the Food Police) 😉 – firstly I am trying to avoid goitrogenic food which affect my thyroid disorder. Naturally these happen to be veg that I love. 🙁

Secondly fresh veg seems to have an extremely short shelf life these days.

Thirdly am trying to economise by not using loads of saucepans and instead throwing everything into the oven.

Actually I’ve noticed that you can get small tins of pulses, had some nice butter beans tonight in my casserole.

prettygreenparrot

Tinned is more expensive, but way easier. Cooked pulses keep for about 3 days in a regular UK fridge before going ‘fizzy’. You can stretch that out for a week by changing the water like folks have said. Frozen, they keep for a few months. The texture changes when you freeze them and on thawing they can be a bit watery.

‘goitrogenic’ – I guess the idea of iodine tablets doesn’t appeal to counteract the effects of these foods? And brazil nuts to add selenium?

Trampus
    Free Member

Pulses do not need to be soaked for 24 hrs if you use a pressure cooker. Just treat them as a ‘fresh’ ingredient.

Solo
    Free Member

(also known as the Food Police)
    Non taken.
    😀
    Made me chuckle, that did.
    🙂

If I come across like that sometimes, its only born out of a genuine interest in the subject (thanks iDave) and a desire to help, if and where I can.

Although I will ackowledge that sometimes people do appear to get upset with folk who might question, the unquestionable…
    😉

Obviously, I had no idea about your condition, I admire you for trying to do what you can for yourself, by looking at your diet.

When I’m home (weekends) I tend to prep all my stuff from fresh, but I do have time / make time for this.
    (A small upside to being a singleton)
    But doing so does result in substantial quatities of washing up 🙁
    (my flat isn’t large enough for a dish washer)

Anyway, all the best.
    😀

Solo

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Elfin.. you’re missing out! 😉

cinnamon_girl

prettygreenparrot – well I figured it would be best to avoid completely, as a kind of experiment. Have some brazil nuts in the cupboard but apparently one should only have a few – that would take serious willpower!

Solo – glad you didn’t take offence and I do realise you are particularly interested in healthy eating. 🙂 I should really be ditching as much refined carbs as possible but easier said than done. I don’t eat potatoes or rice, rarely eat pasta, so generally don’t have carbs with evening meal apart from occasionally some garlic bread.

Do feel that I should make more use of my small freezer, ie buying in- season veg and making into soup etc.

You sound incredibly well-organised. 8)

BoardinBob

OK, so these will be more healthy than the tinned variety?

Genuine question, why would they be healther than a tinned version?

bagpuss72
    Free Member

In the fridge they start fermenting! If you freeze stews and soups with pearl barley in and things like that that seems to keep for quite a while.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/pulses.aspx

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

OK, so these will be more healthy than the tinned variety

No idea, although i normally just buy pulses in water. Hope you are keeping ok CG. 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Dried pulses: storage life when cooked?’ is closed to new replies.