• This topic has 52 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by tang.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Dream Cyclocross Bike – Stigmata vs Hakkalugi vs Anything Else?
  • curiousyellow
    Free Member

A fall on the commute today has me wishing I had a bike that could run bigger tyres. Bike’s ok and I’m ok, but I’ve been thinking about something I can use for my local trails too and plotting what I could get by the end of the year.

Requirements are:

– Got to be light. Like sub 8kg light.
    – Hydraulic disc brakes.
    – Should be able to take 32mm tyres.
    – Not overly steep head angle.

That’s about it. Anything else I should be considering. Budget is around £3k if this is to become reality I guess.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Open UP?

I got a Norco Threshold SL CX1. It’s superb.

http://www.norco.com/news/2016/03/gear-patrol-reviews-the-norco-threshold-sl-force-cx1/

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Funny you should say that, I was just looking at the Norco!

If you ride a road bike too, then did you size down? Open looks nice too. Where can you buy it?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Saw and had a quick spin on the Stigmate – ORANGE so ORANGE!! I like

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I’m 5’11 and the 55.5 fits me spot on.

Don’t worry about the ‘CX’ downsize thing. Just find what reach is good for you.

I also like the way they do their internal routing. Rattling cables are a pet hate of mine. The have super tight ‘Gizmo’ routing, keeps the cables tight – no rattles at all

And the paintjob is superb.

dovebiker

Bit of careful online shopping and within your budget and willingness to build-it-yourself you could get custom titanium frame, carbon-rimmed wheels and groupset, finishing kit of choice.

kilo

The mrs has a hakkalugi, it is a lovely bit of kit, her favourite bike and still lives indoors!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Giant TCX Advanced?

Full carbon CX’er that’ll take 40c tyres, comes with rotor cranks, full hydro and should you feel the need clips for guards (shudders) Can come with Srams CX1 set too..

Has a race orientated geo, but you could tweek that obvs.

I love mine, bought for racing but do long distance CX races too, have used it for NCN rides with a set of Gravel Grinder and Clem X’plor 40c MSO’s on too , also loaded it up with Apidura seat and bar bags..

Great bike.

dragon
    Free Member

Trek Boone
    Ridley X-Nite or X-Trail
    Focus Mares CX

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Cannondale Slate looks a giggle too.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Kind of want to stay away from Cannondale because of the proprietary BBs. Unless they’ve done away with those?

The Norco is winning me over so far, if I can get one in my size! Has the advantage of being C2W able. I want a carbon frame for some reason too. Ti sounds nice, but I don’t think I’d appreciate it.

How is the SRAM groupset by the way? I’ve always used Shimano.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Been on CX1 for a couple of years. It’s been faultless on both bikes. You get a Rotor crank with an oval QCX1 chainring. Carbon seatpost and Easton carbon bars are a nice touch too.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Big tyres won’t save you…

My stigmata with Nano’s (700×40);

& the result of yesterday’s slip;

The rider was 100% not to blame, he never is 🙄

cloudnine
    Free Member
    misterduncan
    Free Member

I was going to get a Trek Boone, but found a Storck TIX deal from Germany that I couldn’t refuse.

The TIX is lovely. The bolt thrus are a bit crap though, so bought some new ones from DT Swiss.

squealer
    Free Member

I’ve got a hakkalugi disc which I use mainly as a commuter, across bridleways etc and it’s fantastic.
    Mines set up strange though, with a flat bar and XT brakes but it’s still massively fast and great fun to ride. I wouldn’t change it for anything.

Highly recommended.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Just going to look at dat dere Norco. Should know next Saturday.

@robgclarkson yup, probably me trying to corner into a road with a dropped pavement off a slippery road littered with gravel at 30kmph is why I crashed. But why let the truth get in the way of a new bike? Hope you’re ok. That looks like it smarts.

tang
    Free Member

Open UP would top my list atm. Or a custom UK made carbon from Craddock/Filament…as full bikes 3k might stretch.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Curiousyellow… exactly what happened to me… and yes, tis but a flesh wound 😉

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Yeah, but how on earth do you buy it?

Kamakazie

Not sure how racey you want it (the Norco Threshold isn’t too bad really) but if you wanted something more relaxed have a look at the carbon Norco Search.

Gotama
    Free Member

Gee from on here seemed pretty pleased with his Pivot cx albeit he is sponsored by them…

curiousyellow
    Free Member

The curved top tube always makes me think of a dog doing a poo. Therefore the Pivot is a no go.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

ROSE TEAM DX CROSS-3100 Di2
    Loads of tyre clearance, Di2 Ultegra Hydraulics, £2300, 8.3kg

or the 4400 1×11 has Force CX1 and is 7.8kg for £1950

jmatlock
    Free Member

Guy says dream build…….people post a Rose!

Like saying ‘oooh if I win the lottery I would buy a Kia’

The ibis is beautiful, more so than the Stigmata. But the Open Up is a league above both.

dragon
    Free Member

Well people are posting things with handlebars designed for special people and there is Norco on the 2nd post, hardly renowned for the cross expertise.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’ll refrain from suggesting a Felt/Fugi/Boardman then…

Ibis needs a chainstay brake mount.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

@jmatlock For the third time, is the only way to buy the Open to e-mail the guy? To be fair, £3k probably means the dreamier builds are out. I think I will be consolidating to get this bike too.

benp1

I’d have either the Open, the Slate, or maybe something in Ti and custom made

Mind you, I really like the Shand Stoater too

curiousyellow
    Free Member

So, with framesets from £2230, no standard build kit, and my nearest dealer over an hour away and asking for a 3 hour slot to do a consult to figure out my build options the Open is almost certainly out. Can’t say I’m gutted. The colour is not really to my liking.

BIGMAN
    Free Member

Totally blows the budget but SPEEDVAGEN……

ferrals
    Free Member

The rims on that Norco look ridiculous

One of the Niner ones?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Independent Fabrication Ti Gravel Royale?

http://www.bicyclerichmond.co.uk

Under the builds section

jmatlock
    Free Member

I would probably go for an Ibis, nice wheels, Enve finishing kit and Di2.

Gotama
    Free Member

I don’t know what size you are but Solarider is selling his lovely Moots for around (given it looks like you’re stretching :-)) your budget?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/moots-psyclo-x-rsl-disc-58cm

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Ibis isn’t Di2 compatible? Unless you run long cables externally…

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Kind of want to stay away from Cannondale because of the proprietary BBs. Unless they’ve done away with those?

by proprietary do you mean BB/PF30 that is probably the most popular industry standard now? I’m not a big fan if it, whilst mine (in a SuperX) never creaked it died after half a dozen CX races (and lots of associated power washing), but they are very much the norm now.

mmmmmmmmmmmm….

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I’d like it to be carbon though. Nothing against Ti, or Al, but I’ve got a couple of them and I like how they feel. I’ll wait for a Switchback to scratch the Ti itch if I ever feel it!

fasthaggis

I like the Alchemy bikes

curiousyellow
    Free Member

That does look nice. Any UK dealers?

Also looked at a Ritte and an Argon 18, but something’s a bit off about the colour scheme and design.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Dream Cyclocross Bike – Stigmata vs Hakkalugi vs Anything Else?’ is closed to new replies.