Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Drains question!…
  • the-muffin-man

Hi all

We’re rebuilding the lean-to at the back of our house (current one rotten).

The drains that run under the lean-to are old salt-glazed pipes and have given us trouble over the years. What we want to do while the old lean-to is down is lift the floor, take out the old drains and do a straight swap with new plastic pipework.

Are we likely to need building regs approval to do this (which is essentially a repair/maintenance job)?

Ta!

pjm84
    Free Member

Had to think about this one. Maintenance you’re correct but I had to consider the material change. Looking through the guidance I don’t believe it would be required assuming you comply with 3(2) a/b.

My reading would be clause 3(1) C and 3 (2)a / b

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010/2214/part/2/made

If you’re not confident it doesn’t hurt to run it by the duty BCO pointing out the above as a starting point.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Personally I’d just get it done as its a repair. Will you still have old salt glaze upstream and downstream of the area you replace??

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    the-muffin-man

Will you still have old salt glaze upstream and downstream of the area you replace??

Yep – we just want to replace the bit under the lean-to while its exposed.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I would just do it – who would ever know anyway?

wrightyson
    Free Member

What caused the problems? Was it where the old founds for the lean to crossed the run by any chance?

the-muffin-man

Just old age, its a victorian property so there’s always something falling apart!!

No foundations for the lean-to, it was built straight onto the old back yard!

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Drains question!…’ is closed to new replies.