Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Dr Who = rubbish
  • duntmatter
    Free Member

Terry Pratchett says Doctor Who 'breaks most of the laws of narrative' and is 'pixel thin' as plausible sci-fi.

I agree wholeheartedly. I've never understood why people rave about it.

GrahamS

Nah you're wrong.

Spitfires in space! You can't really argue with that.

chakaping
    Free Member

Forget the laws of narrative, it's just crap.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Right load of crap – now if we're talking old skool with tom baker then it was great

Talkemada
    Free Member

I've been quite enjoying the new series, I must say. The new Doctor is far, far better than that irritating Pet Shop Boy, and Amy Pond is the perfect assistant. Thought the last two episodes with the Weeping Angels was quite good. Quite a disturbing idea.

It's essentially kids telly though in't it? Family entertainment. I've never read any of Mr Pratchett's works, but maybe his target audience is different?

Sci-Fi ranges from Button Moon to 2001: A Space Odyssey. Plenty of room for all sorts in between.

brakes
    Free Member

to give Terry Pratchett his due
    he's a bit crap too

yunki
    Free Member

If Terry Pratchett says it's crap.. then it's crap.

MtbCol
    Free Member

Spitfires in space versus a discworld riding on the back of elephants which in turn are sat on a giant turtle travelling through space….

I'll take the Spitfires any day!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Vs.

Tough call.

redthunder
    Free Member

Dr Who has always been crap. Even when I hid behind the sofa… it was shite.

Pratchett is a rubbish too.

GrahamS

The new Doctor is far, far better than that
    irritating Pet Shop Boy

Neil Tennant (Pet Shop Boy)

David Tennant (Tenth Doctor)

Flaperon

It's. A. Children's. Programme. FFS

If you want plausible sci-fi, watch Stargate or something. But since just about ANY science fiction violates Special Relativity, you may actually be forced to develop an imagination.

That said, I didn't like the Spitfires in space either.

Talkemada
    Free Member

What about the Space Whale?

terrahawk
    Free Member

I've always really enjoyed Dr Who. I think it's gone a bit downhill since the (very short) golden age of Chris Eccleston to be honest, but even my heart sank when I watched that Spitfires episode. The worst ever?

showerman
    Free Member

this has to be the best sci-fi on tele http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HArUmqqiL0s

Nick

Suprise suprise, STW thinks 'it's crap' (that pretty much applies to anything you can think of).

My 6 year old loves it and I'm rather partial to watching it with him, come 2nd to a few hours of serious lego time but it's still pretty good fun.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Ummm

JESUS CHRIST YOU CANT PUT PICS LIKE THAT ON HERE WHEN MY GF IS AROUND!

Talkemada
    Free Member

Is that Amy Pond??

Jesus Christmas….

stumpyjon

better look away now then

but to prive everyone has their off days…

Talkemada
    Free Member

Even pissed with laddered tights, she still gets my vote…

glenncampbell

Talkemada +1!!!

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Russell T Davies did write an adult Dr Who – bring back Torchwood always made my home town look good

Celery
    Free Member

I used to like Button Moon.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What duck?

GrahamS

my heart sank when I watched that
    Spitfires episode. The worst ever?

That said, I didn't like the Spitfires in space
    either.

Whaaaaaaaat?

That was awesome. How could that not appeal to the little boy in every man?

Dibbs
    Free Member

Who cares about Dr Who, lets just have an Amy Pond show 😀

MartynS

it is rubbish… but I like it, and the lass that plays Amy Pond is possibly the best looking woman in the world…!

Talkemada
    Free Member

a few hours of serious lego time

I was round me mum's recently, doing some DIY stuff- found me old box of Lego. Just got to pop round again sometime (had to carry me tools that time), and then I'm going to build this:

Clicky pic for more info…

Coyote
    Free Member

Dr Who is excellent most of the time. A few misses but no-ones perfect. This new guy is absolutely spot on, good actor and brings a new slant to the character. Add the head writer Stephen Moffat into the mix and quality!

Terry Pratchett? Clue's in the name, innit?

Jamie
    Free Member

Dr Who + Weeping Angels = Win.

druidh
    Free Member

I was really disappointed by the Daleks/Spitfires episode. All just too rushed. Saved by the Weeping Angels double episode though.

When I were a lad, the story covered the whole series – i.e. it was a proper serial (no – not Corn Flakes). I do wonder if they're trying to pack too much into each episode.

PJM1974
    Free Member

The SFX budgets have been slashed…

…all of a sudden Dr Who has returned to it's seventies tackiness, but (Stephen Moffat scripts excepted) without the depth of writing to carry it through.

Ms Pond isn't unattractive, but my missus has a cuter nose.

Jamie
    Free Member

Stephen Moffat scripts excepted

He is writing all the episodes in this new season if that is any consolation.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Jamie, take down the pic NOW! "What carries the image of an angel, becomes an angel…."

Jamie
    Free Member

Jamie, take down the pic NOW! "What carries the image of an angel, becomes an angel…."

This is Angel Bob here….

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Shut your eyes man!

theotherjonv

did one of you just move my PC closer to me when I wasn't looking?

Would someone move Amy closer to me too. Touching distance, ideally.

nickc

Terry Pratchett says Doctor Who 'breaks most of the laws of narrative' and is 'pixel thin' as plausible sci-fi.

Says the man who's essentially built a career on writing the same book over and over again hoping that his quite frankly manic fans don't/won't care, or because they're 8, haven't formed an opinion…

porterclough
    Free Member

He's right though… one minute weeping angels can't move when someone looks at them because they are "quantum locked", interesting idea…. next minute they can't move if they think you are looking. Eh?

It's full of this sort of thing – just forget what we said earlier as we have a plot issue to work around.

Still good family telly though.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I've always been annoyed by stuff I can pick holes in, like Dr Who, Star Wars, Matrix. Dr Who even more so, because of the sets that are always a bit rubbish/cheap. However, the latest Dr who, bespite all the usual script issues as pointed out above, I've enjoyed. I'm not sure if it's because I like looking at Amy Pond, or I don't give a toss anymore.
    I still look back at Tom Baker times fondly, but I expect they were just as rubbish, even more so probably, but I was too young to pick holes in the script or scowl at the shonky sets.
    They're producing everything to a small budget I expect and within time scales. The ideas have been pretty good this season, school boy stuff with some eye candy and titilation for the Dads.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Dr Who = rubbish’ is closed to new replies.