• This topic has 18 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by jb79.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Dr, Dr. Long term amitriptyline use
  • paulosoxo
    Free Member

Apart from the side affects that I’ve experienced from amitriptyline, like dry mouth and never feeling like I need to pee, how safe a drug is it to take?

I understand it’s not nice to od on, but since I’ve stopped taking it, a year ago, I’ve not managed to shift the pain I get. I’m currently trying a bit of MTFU as prescribed by Dr Death.

X

Bejeesus – I’m a hardened 90’s raver and I could only stand Amitriptyline as a downer – occassionally, certainly not a daily drug. Not sure what dose I was on tbh though. Horrible stuff!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Dunno about long term effects from amitriptyline
    You were taking it for pain? Have you been referred to a pain clinic? acupuncture can be good for chronic pain and there are other drugs as well for neuropathic pain.

Taking any powerful drug long term cannot be good for you.

Acupuncture may be worth trying or TENS
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcutaneous_electrical_nerve_stimulation

Bregante

Im not sure this is any use but I took amitriptylene for almost a year during and after my GBS and I suffered months of the worst pins and needles sensations in my leg and lower back for many, many months when I stopped. They did eventually subside but it was so exhausting putting up with that 24/7.

Sorry that’s not very helpful I know.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I was taking it for nerve damage during and post Guilain Barre, and it helped a lot. Acupuncture had some weired short. Circuit effect on my skin that felt awful. I didn’t like it.

I still have numb feet and fingers from the GBS, as well as pain from the hips down, and burning/ electric shock symptoms.

TAFKA.…. It’s a fantastic drug!

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Bregante. Got it in one. I’m becoming a GBS bore ( have already became*). Over a year ago now and it’s getting me down. Still feel sick all the time too.

zoota

best to try some pain management, if pain is to intense then have your doctor prescribe alternate pain killer quarterly, this will be the safest way to avoid addiction however your liver and kidneys will have to process these meds so do your best to eat healthy and avoid booze, milk thistle will help break down the ensimes in food and meds to help take the load of your liver

geetee1972
    Free Member

Strange drug amitriptyline. It’s what my wife was on for quite a while for post natal depression although it wasn’t a strong enough dose to help with that and eventually she got prescribed something more effective. Our GP uses it long term for insomnia. One pill every night for the last 20 years apparently. But then this is also the same GP who performed his own vasectomy! 😯

wwaswas

the same GP who performed his own vasectomy

I’m surprised he didn’t get the sack/balls it up!

igmc.

allthepies
    Free Member

It did the biz when I had a slipped disc 🙂

paulosoxo
    Free Member

From experience, it works for me. I just don’t want to be taking something that will affect me in the long term

dr_death
    Free Member

Paul…. Nowt that shouldn’t fix if you stop taking it.

(I still think you should just MTFU though…. ;-))

Albanach
    Free Member

I asked my wife who is a pharmacist-apparently a very good drug for nerve pain (wouldnt be good for other pain) and she said that taking it in the long term would far outweigh the pain and stress caused to you by the pain itself. I’m sure I could get more info on it for you if you need, address in profile.

Kuco

I hated Amitriptyline as it really made me feel tired and wouldn’t dare go above 30mg plus it wasn’t doing much. I am currently on Nortriptyline taking 50mg and have no side effects other than than the dry feeling.

BTW I’m using it for nerve pain.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

As an aside – why would Amitriptyline be prescribed as opposed to Gabapentin? Gabapentin seemed to be the drug of choice for neuropathic pain in a couple of the places I’ve been.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Cheers all. I really would like to get back to the 150 mg and 14 hour sleeps of the past, but I think Mrsoxo might not be so keen

Dr Death

the FU is being M’d

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

It can work very well, but for pain I never use it above 30mg. The dose you’d give a depressed hamster.

Gabapentin and Pregabalin (rather better -simpler dosage regime) have been been strongly promoted by drug companies, but I haven’t found them that useful.

Or you could try a sports massage… apparently they are very good for everything… 👿

jb79
    Free Member

As an aside – why would Amitriptyline be prescribed as opposed to Gabapentin?

It’s cheap and it’s once daily and it’s been around for ages.

It can work very well, but for pain I never use it above 30mg. The dose you’d give a depressed hamster.

Gabapentin and Pregabalin (rather better -simpler dosage regime) have been been strongly promoted by drug companies, but I haven’t found them that useful.

I wouldn’t go above 50mg for pain. Gabapentin almost never seems to help if amitriptyline hasn’t but some patients tolerate its side effects better. Have had some good results with pregabalin (especially if there’s anxiety stuff going on too) but it costs a fortune and has side effects too. Gabapentin and pregabalin are both potentially abused.

jb79
    Free Member

In answer to the OP, I wouldn’t worry about taking amitriptyline long-term, especially if at low dose.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Dr, Dr. Long term amitriptyline use’ is closed to new replies.