Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Downs Link + musings on hills.
  • nedrapier

Had a lovely day out on Saturday, mostly due to some great views from Truleigh Hill, Devils Dyke and Fulking down and seeing some good friends in Brighton on the weekend.
    The Downs Link just isn’t a great deal of fun, though, is it? It just goes on and on. Only the occasional flash of scenery every now and then beyond the corridor of gravel and trees. Not much to see once you’ve been on it for mile or so until you start getting views of the South Downs. You really need to come off the path to see anything interesting.

The 1st time I did it, I used it as a way back after Winchester – Shoreham on the SDW. I had a bit of a miserable time. It was boring because it was dark, and demoralising because it was so samey. Granted I was pretty knackered too. But now I’ve done it in the daylight as well (admittedly hungover this time!) I think I’d rather complete the SDW than come north on the Downs Link.

The hills might be tougher physically, but they’re easier to deal with mentally, you’ve got something in front of you, something to attack, something to tick off, and a bit a rest and reward on the way down. Flat is just a slog!

I love hills, apparently! Shouldn’t have been much of a surprise really, given my choice of sports!

Lifer
    Free Member

Flat and straight worked for trains though.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Downs Link + musings on hills.’ is closed to new replies.