Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Downloading GPX from phone to Garmin
  • Andy

Help please? I want to be able to store GPX files on my phone and download them to my Garmin 810. The reason for this is I’m going to do a longish tour with minimal internet access and if my Garmin crashes I may need to reset and load the files again.

Ive tried to do this using my Iphone 5, but don’t seem to be able. I have done it successfully using a cheap android tablet file manager and USB OTG cable. Do I need to switch to an android phone? I dont really want to carry another device to connect inbetween the two.

Thanks 🙂

(btw also taking map and compass etc)

nedrapier

810 has bluetooth, doesn’t it? Can you use that? Might need an extra app on your phone.

Andy

Yep can establish a Bluetooth connection but cant find a way to manage files on the Iphone 🙁

nedrapier

I’ve had a quick go on my Oregon, and I didn’t goet it to work. I didn’t need to use it, so I didn’t try very hard, but I remember needing another app on my phone.

I think you pull data using the garmin, rather than push it from the phone, if that makes sense?

zilog6128

Yep can establish a Bluetooth connection but cant find a way to manage files on the Iphone

I don’t have an 810 but I don’t think this is possible directly (neither is using a cable like you did with Android).

I think you can do it using the Garmin app on your phone which can communicate with Garmin Connect on the web (i.e. your GPX route must be stored online on Garmin Connect).

Andy

Thanks – need to be able to transfer files without internet access 🙁

zilog6128

It’s a massive shame that the new Edges with “phone connectivity” need to operate via the internet (as far as I know) to do anything useful – the main reason I haven’t bothered to upgrade.

There is a device called a Kingston MobileLite g3 – I don’t have one of those either but it can read/write SD cards plus connect wirelessly to an iPhone via bluetooth so there may be some long-winded way to do what you want. I’m sure if you google it someone will have explained how to do it (assuming it’s possible)

jimdubleyou

I think you can do it using the Garmin app on your phone which can communicate with Garmin Connect on the web (i.e. your GPX route must be stored online on Garmin Connect).

You can sync routes to a 520 with the connect app (just tried it). You definitely need an internet connection – it refuses to sync to the device if the phone is in flight mode.

I have this on my phone in case of GPS meltdown…
    https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/os-locate

Andy

Thanks Jimdubleyou – that OS-locate app is worth having on the phone anyway in case of an emergency situation for quick access to coordinates!

nedrapier

Can you store routes on the memory card, or only in the device memory?

Andy

hmmm good idea about the memory card!

scruff9252

I did something similar yesterday – downloaded route on to my tablet and copied gpx onto SD card into garmin/new files folder.

Worked seamlessly – I too was planning for a upcoming tour and had similar thoughts as you.

Andy

Thanks scruff9252. Assume your tablet wasnt an Apple device. Think a trip to the apple store tomorrow is needed…..

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Hi. I’ve just bought an Edge 1000 and had the same question (though not Apple related).

Like scruff says, this will work via an Android tablet and a OTG USB cable. It is a shame it doesnt seem to work via Bluetooth, and also I couldnt get it to work via Garmin Connect on my Phone (needed to use my laptop).

I’m still struggling to work out how Garmin bike devices handle gpx and fit files vs the way my old Dakota used to – courses, activities, adventures, etc…

Andy

Yep as said previously can do easily using an android tablet. Just wondered if can do Iphone to Garmin file transfer without internet access

nedrapier

If the route is on the card not the device, it will still be there if the device memory is wiped when it crashes. That was the original problem you wanted to solve, wasn’t it?

larkim
    Free Member

Suspect the problem here is the stupid restrictions of iPhones. You could try one of the cloud storage apps like Dropbox, OneDrive or Google drive which offer offline storage for selected files and that might be a route to be able to send via Bluetooth from the iPhone, but as you can’t even send a photo via Bluetooth from an iPhone you might equally struggle with gpx files.

Andy

If the route is on the card not the device, it will still be there if the device memory is wiped when it crashes. That was the original problem you wanted to solve, wasn’t it?

Correct. A mate did the HT550 and suffered a full Garmin crash which meant he had to reset his garmin losing all files. Luckily he found someone with a PC. I want to mitigate that risk.

I need to test it – I just have a niggle in my mind about reading somewhere Garmin 810 users having issues about reading from SD card after a crash I need to check out. There is also the risk of losing the device as well.

Will report back

nedrapier

You could take a couple of extra SD cards with routes on them? I’ve got a few 2 and 4 GB microSD cards lying around from old phones, you might have the same. I could post you a couple if it would help. Don’t know what else I might need them for.

Or they’re only a couple of quid on amazon.

nedrapier

And a paper map! Or two…

prawny

As long as the route is in Garmin connect you should be able to transfer it across with an iphone, I’ve done it, but you will need internet access.

How about a cheap android phone for the duration of the trip, £40 or so, and would make a useful back up?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Downloading GPX from phone to Garmin’ is closed to new replies.