Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Downhillers and tearoffs…are these degradeable?
  • wysiwyg
    Free Member

Pushed up Inners yesterday on the way up I counted over 100 discarded tearoffs before I gave up counting. I ride a lot of dh, and dont use tearoffs, yes i can see benefits in a race, but then the marshalls should pick them up when they do the tape collection. For practice and uplifts should they be banned?

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I use them but only to stop my lenses getting scratched. I only ever take one off between runs and either put it in my ocket or bag.

No, they’re not biodegradable.

snowpaul
    Free Member

I noticed a lot when I was up there – its not a great advert for mtb as a sport along with discarded energy gels / drinks etc…

Northwind

wysiwyg – Member

but then the marshalls should pick them up when they do the tape collection.

I always do… But they blow around and are pretty easy to miss, I guarantee I’ve left some behind (also when you’re doing battle with a quarter mile of tape and trying not to fall head over heels down a drop, that can preoccupy your mind a little)

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Yeah, they seem to be the in thing at the moment for that factory look. You never really need them unless your racing. Noticed quite a few in the FOD recently scattered around.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Bit pointless in the FOD.They could use a Roll-off system.Or use a good fender on the front.Then no need for tear-offs.

100mphplus
    Free Member

Yeah, they seem to be the in thing at the moment for that factory look. You never really need them unless your racing.

Not true, I have a tear off fitted to every lens I have in all riding conditions since it protects it from scratches et al. Dusty/dry/windy conditions in particular ‘sand blast’ a lens!

I noticed a lot of tear offs in one place at Inners too the other week, all of one particular make which was strange. I think someone must have pulled off a full lamination, (can be 10 to 15 lenses in one ‘pack’) by accident and they eventually seperated in the wet and fluttered around the trail.

D0NK

I suppose this is the DH equivalent of the XC gel wrappers.

Northwind

Mmmmmm… Don’t think it’s really comparable tbh, since there’s so little reason not to stick a gel wrapper in your pocket, unlike with tearoffs. One is just pure antisocial behaviour, the other at least has some reason to do it. Whether it’s enough of a reason is another question.

You do see them in weird places though, I’ve seen them on glentress red- not a place you’d normally choose a full face anyway, never mind tearoffs. “I must have perfect vision for the remainder of this 2 minute descent, in order to catch up with more people on Tesco bikes!”

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Downhillers and tearoffs…are these degradeable?’ is closed to new replies.