Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • downhill mtb bike race in Brazilian slum POV.
  • nickname
    Free Member

Hopefully not been posted already 🙂

boxelder

Looks a bit like Nelson, Lancashire…..
    😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

fantastic can I have a go!!

crikey
    Free Member

Bit posher than Nelson really…

will
    Free Member

that is fast!!

jam-bo

i thought it was a pretty gentle pace actually. they werent pushing it at all.

tails
    Free Member

gee sounds alot more normal there than he does on camera normally. wheres peaty he owns downtown races.

RoterStern
    Free Member

The fact the Gee was giving a running commentary whilst riding would indicate that he wasn't going flat out but he was still going faster than 99.9% of the people one here could ever hope to.

TheChunk
    Free Member

Does anyone run hookworms or similar tyres in these urban DH events? Do they not give better grip/less resistance on concrete than knobblies? Maybe slicks don't look cool enough.

Dirtynap
    Free Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SbDNkSKl8w&feature=channel they are pinning it on this one though.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

slumtastic
    It's nice to see that most of those people happily pretended that their shitty lives were actually part of the commercial redbull aspiration.

mAx_hEadSet

banana it's very aspirational to them, since these people are off the road network rarely get to see beemers lexus and mercedes driving down the narrow streets, seeing all these young upcoming executives on 5K UK£ bespoke downhill rigs sloping past their front door step gives them something to make an ambition and not carrying out drive by's on bmx's… possibly how many coke rocks it might take them to make the first down payment.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I was gonna comment on the rather nobby, overly earnest Tim-Westwood-esque style commentary on the video, but then I realised it was Dan Atherton talking.

So I won't. 😉

plumber
    Free Member

Looks a bit like Nelson, Lancashire…..

I'm not uwhat part of Nelson you are thinking of but it looks nothing like it to me

Ta Like

Plum

cullen-bay
    Free Member

thats the red bull how many steps event IIRC

grumm
    Free Member

This is similar but involves going through someone's house!

uplink
    Free Member

Can't have been Nelson
    If it was, that timber would have gone missing long before anyone rode it

Pigface
    Free Member

No wonder the favellas are no go zones for police in Brazil what a hotch potch of alleys and steps. Really like City of God.

mAx_hEadSet

Pigface feel free to misled those fantastic Ross Kemp Tough Cops big crime documentaries on Sky that fill in for the fact they have no programs of interest..

it's not that favellas are no go zones for the police, South American police forces are nothing like our boys in blue other than sharing a name, in some cases they are simply the tyrannical civilian enforcers of the regime in power for when the government wishes to avoid looking like a military dictatorship, the just application of any actual law to all people is not their mission. They will often be partisan and in the case of the favellas, the politicians often do not really want to waste fairly limited national resources helping them become civilised settlements it is often more about building a managed wall around the outside to control their contact with the section of society the politicians are supported by. If law breaks down so badly in a favella it bothers law enforcement agencies, it is more likely to be bulldozed or set alight than have it's ills addressed.

Many Police in South America once appointed have to pay for their own uniforms which creates a kind of culture that they feel entitled to then take advantage of opportunities to recover that investment as a perk of the job, with an addiction often setting in after taking small bribes the passage to complete corruption is a natural progression. The cost to correct this is often so far out of the reach of the better governments they just get to accept it.

The South Americans just put up with it, for any Brazilian you are as likely to be shot by a Policeman for no reason in Rio as you are on a tube on the London Underground.

IdleJon

That doesn't look much like a slum to me.

If it is, it's a very well maintained slum.

Or is it a slum just because it is somewhere foreign, and the locals don't live in leafy, semi-detached houses in Surrey?

alpin
    Free Member

It's nice to see that most of those people happily pretended that their shitty lives were actually part of the commercial redbull aspiration.

i thought the same upon seeing some DH'er glugging his red bull infront of the inhabitants…..

red bull…. **** awful to drink but puts on good events.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘downhill mtb bike race in Brazilian slum POV.’ is closed to new replies.