Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Downhill bike around £1500
  • mattamomo
    Free Member

Well I have recently decided I want myself a nice mountain bike, after buying a road bike, I am keeping the road bike as recommended.
    My new plan is to have both, so here are my questions:
    I am looking for dual suspension bike good for trails and downhill riding, I would like it to be around 1500-2000 new. But I am also planning to buy second hand, so a common bike selling second hand would be good, I need a small frame (I am around 5ft 6)

Anyone got suggestions as I am finding it hard to find a suitable second hand bike in my price range, which second hand is around £800-£1000
    Cheers for any help

chakaping
    Free Member

More freeridey perhaps but supposed to be excellent for DH riding anyway…

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/kona-entourage-suspension-bike-2012/rp-prod95371

acidchunks

This might be a better all rounder. No personal knowledge/experience of the brand or the bike myself but the reviews are favourable 🙂
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/beone-moko-160-full-suspension-bike/rp-prod59253

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Look for a S/H Nukeproof Mega – bulletproof and built burly and not that expensive

lucien

Have a look at Scott Volatage, good bike and plenty to upgrade as/when you can.

Bike from YT Industries and canyon look v good value.

Commencal have an outlet / ex-demo online store – bought a Supreme Mini DH, with 180 coil and 180 bombers as good as new for less than £1k about 9 months ago.

JEngledow
    Free Member

If it were my money I’d be looking at a Torque FRX as a pure DH bike or a Torque EX as a DH/Trail bike.

mattamomo
    Free Member

I love the nukeproof but the price and fact there will never be a small one on sale second hand.
    The Kona entourage and the scott voltage
    which of these will handle the rougher stuff better as they look very similar?

mattamomo
    Free Member

I am really liking the kona, would this be the best choice?
    It looks fantastic for the price

tomhoward

Didn’t we decide on your other thread that listening to others isn’t necessarily the best thing?

What do you want? Have a browse round, read reviews, demo bikes, make a shortlist, then ask for recommendations from your list….

mattamomo
    Free Member

tomhoward- That may be the way for most enthusiasts, But I am b*oody terrible at picking things like this. Which is why I am asking for suggestions based on a specification. So I just don’t make a completely wrong decission like getting a road bike again.
    Not only that but living in Devon in a lil seaside town is useless for trying bikes out, nearest shop is hours away in Bristol.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

The entourage is a very good bike for the money. Climbs surprisingly well but is a joy downhill. It doesn’t complete sanitise the rough stuff, it has a lively feel but corners beautifully. Well built and good spec. Don’t think you’d be unhappy with it.

mattamomo
    Free Member

Yh I think i will look at for a second hand selling then.
    The reviews seem great and some of the videos testing it are exactly what I want to put it through.

Northwind

Are you sure you want a downhill bike? They’re great at the one job they do but pretty limited- you said “good for trails and downhill”, the only thing that’s good at those 2 is a good trailbike really.

You can take a modern 160mm bike and have a great time at a downhill venue (I’ve ridden my hemlock more than my 224 at innerleithen, and raced it at fort bill, very unsuccesfully 😉 ) But it’s very hard to have a good time anywhere else on a dh bike.

mattamomo
    Free Member

Northwind- If I could I would get a nice Hardtail and a Downhill Bike, but I aint got that kind of money, the downhill aspect is with out a doubt the most important to me, I want to be getting good air and landing smoothly and have the peace of mind that I shouldn’t have to rough a ride.
    The only other option I was looking at was getting a Charge Blender which apparently is pretty good for the both. It is certainly a dilemma.

mattamomo
    Free Member

Wow . . . not a single second hand Kona entourage on sale, let alone a small one in good condition

Northwind

You’d be amazed how good big trail/enduro/all mountain bikes are these days tbh. And the bottom line is, there’s hardly anything that can’t be done on a good, normal bike- and the stuff that can’t be, well, you’ll probably not be doing it anyway as it is properly mental. But a sensibly specced 150/160mm bike is up for pretty much anything. Not as fast as a full dh bike but still.

For jumping and the like, a dh bike is brilliant at landing but they’re not that good at taking off- hefty, less agile, but also all the human input of weight movement etc ends up fighting against 8 inches of suspension.

But like I say- a full dh bike fundamentally sucks balls at anything that isn’t being a dh bike. You’ve got some really good uplift venues down there but is that really all your mountain biking will be? Not that likely.

wrecker
    Free Member

Northwind is right. A DH bike is a sole use item, I wouldn’t consider riding one (particularly a cheapish one) on anything other than a proper DH trail. A 160mm bike will be very very capable and still go uphill well.

There was a small knolly endorphin frame for sale on here recently for about £450. That thing will f*** along downhill.

mattamomo
    Free Member

Well could you possibly recommend a few just to give me a better idea of the kind you mean?
    Wrecker- I would love to build my own set up, but quite frankly i dont know what i need or how to so its kind of out of the question

mattamomo
    Free Member

Also bear in mind the venues around my area are Brecon Beacons a lil drive away, Dartomorr cycling/ Gawton downhill etc

Northwind

mattamomo – Member

Well could you possibly recommend a few just to give me a better idea of the kind you mean?

Just a Normal Everyday Bike. Orange Five or Alpine (depending on how you want to bias it, Five better every day, Alpine better at downhill), Zesty or Spicy (same split). Foxy R, Enduro, etc etc. Something that’ll pedal but still take a kicking.

BoardinBob

Torque FRX down to £1,500-ish at Canyon. I love mine and its insane value

wrecker
    Free Member

Wrecker- I would love to build my own set up, but quite frankly i dont know what i need or how to so its kind of out of the question

There is bags of info on the web; Shelton brown, park tools, and plenty of folk on here to help. You don’t need a multitude of tools and it honestly isn’t hard. Most quite enjoy it and it gives you a great understanding of how the bike works.
    You could look at burlier bikes such as nomads, froggies, alpine 160s etc but that knolly with some 160mm forks would go like a train.
    I’m happy on DH blacks on my 140/160mm blur ltc. I won’t be the quickest but I can ride to the top on it!

mattamomo
    Free Member

Wrecker- where could i find a complete list of components to build a bike?

mattamomo
    Free Member

Also would i be able to put one together under 1k?

wrecker
    Free Member

Possibly with some smart shopping. The classifieds here are great.
    Parts;
    Frame
    Headset (check for correct size)
    Forks (check for steerer size)
    Stem
    Handlebars
    Shifters & cables
    Grips
    Wheels/tyres
    Seat post
    Seat collar
    Saddle
    Front and rear mechs
    Chainset & bottom bracket
    Chain
    Cassette
    Pedals
    Brakes & rotors
    That’s about it!

iolo
    Free Member

Get a second hand Santa Cruz Bullit. Perfect bike based on what you describe.

wrecker
    Free Member

You might be able to knock this chap down a wee bit;
    http://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/1426700/

mattamomo
    Free Member

Never realised there was so many options, gonna have to rethink all of this.
    i would like to take on building a bike as a project

wrecker
    Free Member

Go for it!
    You can spread the cost a bit and its very satisfying.
    The people on this site are immensely helpful, don’t be scared to ask for advice.

jam-bo

Dartmoor cycles in tavistock have a few hire bikes and I think Andy is selling off a gt distortion for a good price at the moment.

mattamomo
    Free Member

I think i will see what i can put together, will have to wait till college has slowed down a bit but will make sure i get advice along the way.

Rosss
    Free Member

I had a giant glory but as many people say they’re only good at one thing. I am no racer but I’m no mincer either and I’m actually faster time wise on my 160 bike. For £1000 you’d build a really nice pitch – a sweet all round bike IMO

earl_brutus

Second the santa cruz bullit, thats what i have as my DH bike, not that its been DH for the last 5 years since i last hit the alps! Still its there ready in the fleet for when the opportunity arises, probably worth 600 quid if i flogged it on eBay

chakaping
    Free Member

Wow . . . not a single second hand Kona entourage on sale, let alone a small one in good condition

My point was that it is stunning value at CRC – cheaper than people would be asking secondhand – apologies if over budget though, didn;t realise you were a college student.

It all boils down to whether you want to ride up hills or not really?

mattamomo
    Free Member

Chakaping- Sorry if you thought that comment was aimed at you, i was simply expressing how frustrating it was that there was no second hand one on sale when i really wanted it.
    And yes the price is incredible at over half price, but yh as i said i am not in a position where i can go over budget

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Downhill bike around £1500’ is closed to new replies.