Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Double/Triple Glazing – Sorry!
  • jonjonjon3
    Free Member

Long story short, need a new patio door. Interested in the claim that triple glazing is better at noise reduction.

Is it worth going for triple glazing over double?

Difficult to find unbiased information on this.

sharkbait
    Free Member

From the navitron forum:

Triple glazing will not attenuate sounds by more than 2 – 3 dB more than double gazing unless you have asymmetric glass thicknesses. They will reduce the heat losses, but the additional cost for the windows means that you are unlikely to come out ahead financially.

Edukator
    Free Member

Triple is significantly quieter than double, however, the quietest is “phonic” which is double with 10mm outer glass.

mikey74
    Free Member

Why the hell does everyone feel the neneed to apologise when they ask a question? This is a forum, it’s what they are for.

To answer your question: It depends on the price difference between the two. Triple glazing does add significant sound and thermal performance over DG, but if the difference is very large then it probably isn’t worth it.

Many companies are now offering deals, or even free upgrades to TG so it may be worth shopping around for those.

mikey74
    Free Member

As an example: we’ve just finished a project that involved a very large extension. As part of this, the Client wanted the existing leaded DG replaced. We were offered a free TG upgrade by the supplier and went for it. The difference in sound attenuation between the TG and the DG is very noticeable.

Selled
    Free Member

I have TG throughout house. I am very happy with it, both from noise and thermal insulation. I do not regret the choice and would do it again without hesitation.

jonjonjon3
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies

project
    Free Member

Worked in an older terraced house, they where not allowed DG, so got single sheet laminated glass fitted, cut down noise quite a bit.

House down the road,next to main dual carrigeway, he got TG large windows, huge differrence in noise levels inside, less resonance eg vibration on glass.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Double/Triple Glazing – Sorry!’ is closed to new replies.