Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Double wrapping bar tape
  • cyclistm
    Free Member

I feel the need to double wrap the bars on my cyclo cross bike.

Any hints or tips before I destroy 3 rolls of bar tape in my failed attempt?

Thanks

TiRed

The inner one will need to be shorter. Or give less overlap than the outer. Or try some gel insets under the single layer.

qwerty
    Free Member

Try special eyed phat tape, uses gel available in two thicknesses to reduce fatigue, great stuff.

https://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/accessories/grips-tape/body-geometry-bar-phat/105205

antigee

^^^^will look at that but this would be my answer as well

Or try some gel insets under the single layer.

edit I looked and that specialized stuff is just gel pads albeit specialized

aP
    Free Member

I’d just go with gel strips under a single layer. I like using the mid thickness fi’zik bar tape with gel strips. Don’t really feel the need for double wrapping bars, they just end up being too big and soft to grip properly.

JoB
    Free Member

as above double-wrapped tape is too fat for my hands, couple of strips of old bar-tape underneath the wrap on the tops and in the drops for me

lunge

To actually answer, don’t sweat over it, do the first layer tight and finish it a bit short, you can also start it 1cm or so up from the bottom of the bars. Then just do the 2nd layer on top as you normally would.

I double wrap one of my bike an like it, if you have a choice, make the bottom layer a thinner tape.

cookeaa

I have tried double wrapped (cheap cork) tape on my road bike in the past, I didn’t really like it TBH, felt too bulky and didn’t seem to make as much difference as I’d hoped.

Other things to try on their own or in combination;
    Gel pads
    Gel tape
    Carbon bars
    Lower tyre pressures…

(The last one works best for me).

cyclistm
    Free Member

Thanks all. I’ll stick with an extra layer at strategic points.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I recently dispensed with all that nonsense by using Lizard Skins 3.2mm bar tape. Not too chunky but nice and squishy with good grip and doesn’t seem to move once on

theotherjonv

I double wrapped my CX but only as far as the hoods. It means there’s a wrap of tape around the bend where it finishes, but you’d struggle to notice.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Double wrapping bar tape’ is closed to new replies.