Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Double checking bar and steerer size for the boys new bike
  • giddyrob
    Free Member

Hey,

just bought this for the boy:
    https://www.orbea.com/gb-en/bicycles/mx-20-team-disc

Rocketed it today on his first ride, but he’s quite young so the long stem pushes him really far forward. I’ll be taking him on trails so want to give him a bit of confidence going down with a bike that doesn’t have the same steering properties as a route master bus.

From looking at it it’s a standard size steerer, but not sure what size handle bars it fits. Looks the same as my renthal carbon fatbar on one of my bikes, but just wanted to double check 🙂

Bit of advise on this would be great before I make another purchase 🙂

Also, can anyone point me in the right direction to some good kids flat pedals that don’t have the metal pins. My wife has said he’s not allowed DMR Vaults 😉

Cheers

Rob

chiefgrooveguru

Also, can anyone point me in the right direction to some good kids flat pedals that don’t have the metal pins. My wife has said he’s not allowed DMR Vaults

Would your wife like him to get the occasional scratched shin or regularly fall off his bike completely?

giddyrob
    Free Member

Well, yeah, but it’s on my head if he loses the bark on his shins.

Only young so plenty of time for the real pins.

stevextc
    Free Member

My kid using a £15 carbon bar on his XC bike…. I bought 2 as I was planning to test one before risking it but when I cut down his bars it became obvious it was more than strong enough for a kid!

Equally there are some chinese Stems (badged wake) .. again wouldn’t suggest use for an adult DH racer…. but they are £5….. (delivered) and were much lighter than the stem came with his 24er (and also much shorter)

Double check pedals…. I THINK the Orbea are 9/16ths…. just check they didn’t stick 1/2″ on the 20….

I bought some AEST superlight (Ti axle)… these are well described by superlight … they come with some aggressive pins which I filed down/rounded off. These have lasted well… they needed bending back a few times due to rock strikes but have bent back with mole grips no problem. I know I said they are light… but they are really really light. They also fit well up to size 2-3 (kid is currently size 13 and they are still good)

He is now well into territory where staying on the bike is more important… so I’m going to replace the pins… he had an interesting moment where he lost grip on a big jump riding at FOD …

On his other (Enduro bike he has some DMR V12’s that came with it) … I’m not changing for the sake of it but some V8’s would probably also be good.

giddyrob
    Free Member

Cheers Steve, I’ll have a look.

He’s only 5 so don’t need to be aggressive, just better than the rubbish that came with the bike. I understand for adults as we tend to like our own pedals, but could have put some half descent ones on for the little ones.

THanks

rossburton
    Free Member

Welgo KC001 seem like good pedals, at least we’ve had no complaints so far:

They’ve got really small pins so they grip but are not as spiky as most. Also nice and small for small feet. Proper size crank thread though so check that your cranks are 9/16th not 1/2. Unless you’re very lucky you’ll be ordering them over eBay from China.

stevextc
    Free Member

He’s only 5 so don’t need to be aggressive, just better than the rubbish that came with the bike. I understand for adults as we tend to like our own pedals, but could have put some half descent ones on for the little ones.

Unless he has younger siblings take the pedals off for when you sell the bike 😀

Check its 9/16th though…. but you can buy nice ones now and reuse them on the next bike.. by that time you might want to put longer pins though…

I know its a bit of a tired cliche but 1-2 years will be gone in a blink … my kids nearly 8 now but still using the same pedals on his XC bike…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Double checking bar and steerer size for the boys new bike’ is closed to new replies.