Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Double Century (road bike)
  • RV
    Free Member

In order to help with a few long endurance events this year I have decided to try a 211 mile ride that I’ve routed. I have ridden a century several times and last year even managed 100 miles a day for four days in a row. I’ve never done the double though and wondered if and what experiences anyone has and what dark places they visit during the ride. I have three other deranged riders that fancy a go too.

trail_rat
    Free Member

dark places – would that be the time the biblical rains started between dufftown and the lecht and had me ready to kill someone ?

or the day it rained from 6am till 8pm riding from portmahomock to durness and back

seriously though if your fairly fit, doing it as a 4some, can all do a century , work together, eat regular and keep your fluids up then youll be just dandy

jonba
    Free Member

Never got further than 150 miles. Took me 9 hours solo. Good company would have helped as it got dull at times on some bits. I stopped a couple of times to resupply with food and water.

My route was the Northern Rock Cyclone with a diversion to go to Kielder Castle for a coffee. The coffee was rubbish. Going past a bike shop meant I was able to pick up gels and bars though.

Might be worth forgoing fashion and fitting a big seatpack and top tube bag to let you carry more. At that sort of distance though you should be asking an audax rider, see what they do.

RV
    Free Member

The wife offered to meet at strategic places on the route in my truck to offer a supply of bars, gels and a water container. We are doing the East Anglian coast line from Kings Lynn to Maldon, so plenty of seaside food to be snacking on. The route is one suggested by a local hospice to ride in 3 days in 2013 and I thought what better way to check the route out for charity riders.

ton

furthest i have ridden is 300km in 16hrs on a audax.
    rode it on a specialized sirrius fitted with flat bars, which left me with numb fingers in my right hand, which last for a couple of weeks.

i also seemed to eat for 2 days solid after the event.

SkillWill
    Free Member

I rode from Reigate to Lincoln last year to visit my parents – 176 miles. Was on my Genesis Croix de Fer so not entirely a road bike. Really wasn’t too bad, I did hit a pheasant and ride into the back of a car in Spalding, that was the only bad bit.

I just kept hydrated with Nuun electrolyte tablets in the water, and had some energy bars and dried apricots.

Wish I’d done an extra little loop to make 200 though 🙁

rootes1

longer single day i have ridden was 123miles form Stoke (Staffs) to Teabay (Cumbria) on my Brompton..

knackering and took ages – that was day 4 of lejog… 7 days at 100miles plus 70 on day eight…

On a proper bike it would have been much better / easier

def go in a group..

make sure you EAT!!

RV
    Free Member

I’m well versed in balancing Nunn’s with high carb drinks. drink before you get thirsty.
    May have to rethink the carbon saddle though.

druidh
    Free Member

I think my longest ever day ride was Edinburgh – California – Moscow and then home.

That was 200km.

fasthaggis

What trail rat said + be aware of how others in the group are getting on.
    Some will feel stronger/weaker at different times so just pace it to suit.

When are you doing it ?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Audax riders do that kind of distance plus all the time. Loads of audax tips and chat over on YACF. Start with the FAQ’s.

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1201.0

From my own experience you may wish to consider some rather uncool bike modifications, to whit:

A saddle with some padding.
    Double wrapped bars.
    Raising your bars some.
    A map board (or gps).
    Getting as much kit onto your bike as possible (and out of your pockets, fill pockets will jelly beans).
    A granny ring, or at least a cassette with some range.
    Wider tyres, 25c plus, whatever will fit.

Tips: plan where you’ll stop (break the route into chunks, gives you a goal). Eat/finish water just BEFORE you stop (prevents overeating). Keep stops to a minimum. Aim for a sustainible pace, conserve energy.

RV
    Free Member

21st of April. Bars will have gel added and flip the stem, saddle will be swapped out for sure. Thanks for the Audax site details. I already have a Garmin primed and ready to go, as long as the batts last long enough.

LardLover
    Free Member

ton – Member

furthest i have ridden is 300km in 16hrs on a audax.
    rode it on a specialized sirrius fitted with flat bars, which left me with numb fingers in my right hand, which last for a couple of weeks.

i also seemed to eat for 2 days solid after the event.

Got my first 300km in 7 weeks time, don’t think Im ready for it mind you, i’m starting to get a bit nervous. Most I’ve done in one go is 127 miles (Workington to Tynemouth). Felt ok after it so just thinking it’s going to be psychological…………………………I hope 😯

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

The psychological stuff is hardest for sure. Occassionally (partic at night, when there is less to see) I get a sudden ‘why on earth am I doing this?’ thought, which pops in and has almost prompted me to find the nearest train station a few times. If I just focus on getting to the next control, I’m fine.

The auditory and visual hallucinations are the worst. I find they’re usually linked to something – dehydration or low blood sugar. Get off the bike, walk around a bit, eat and drink, get slapped round the face with a haddock by the donnie darko rabbit, back on the bike again.

Must do some more audaxes. Not done any in ages. Not fit enough for a start.

pixelmix
    Free Member

I think my longest ever day ride was Edinburgh – California – Moscow and then home.

That was 200km.

Love it! Having just acquired a road bike, I might need to give that a bash soon. I assume you have photos fromo each sign?

ton

audax rides are ace for doing higher than normal mileage.
    if you start off with a too fast group you will get dropped and usually end up in a group that matches your speed.
    always nice to ride with a few likeminded folk too.
    and audax riders are a very nice and friendly bunch.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

In a similar style I can ride from West London to Egypt and back, it’s about 35km.

wors

I’m doing Edinburgh to Bolton with a mate in June, 212 miles hopefully in around 14 hours, just need to get a comfy bike to do it…..

druidh
    Free Member

pixelmix – Member

Love it! Having just acquired a road bike, I might need to give that a bash soon. I assume you have photos fromo each sign?
    [img]http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/35396_405304838506_535078506_4560992_8268734_n.jpg[/img]

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Double Century (road bike)’ is closed to new replies.