Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • double ascent/ descent of Snowdon?
  • crispy1980
    Free Member

Not done Snowdon before but toying with trying a double ascent in a day in order to raise some funds for charity. Is this doable? How long to ascend with a bike?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The only time I’ve ridden/pushed up Llanberis Path: 2h 20min from the gate at the top of the steep tarmac lane to the summit. A mate recently managed it in 2h or-so.

I guess you’d do one early in the morning and one after 5pm to respect the voluntary ban?

st

A couple of us pushed up the Llanberis path two weeks ago and it took around 2 1/4 hours up. This was with downhill bikes with pads and full face helmets strapped to our backs. For us it was a 100% push. On more suitable bikes there are decent chunks which are rideable although a full ride up is nigh on impossible.

We came back down the Rangers Path with a link back up and over to get us back down to Llanberis. A ride back down Llanberis takes around 15 minutes from memory ( I did it about 10 years ago).

I’d say that a double ascent is very possible, to the point of being quite modest if you’re pushing it as a big charity earner.

Don’t forget the timing though. May to September, 10am – 5pm bike ban etc.

nickjb
    Free Member

Not a particularly tough physical challenge, just a bit tricky with the timing. When there is enough light there’s the ban, when there is no ban it gets dark early. You could probably do first thing in the morning then later in the evening. You can push up for the evening run during the ban as long as you don’t start your ride down. For a charity thing you might want to push yourself a bit harder. How about doing it sea to summit and back?

nickjb
    Free Member

double post

chakaping
    Free Member

Go for the triple, ride down all three BWs.

bellefied
    Free Member

I like the sea to summit idea , if you time it so you arrive in Llanberis at 5pm, and give yourself 3 hours (outside) to get to the summit, you can be down by 8.30 and heading out to Caernarfon for 9pm, dark at 9:30pm (ish)

elliptic
    Free Member

Walk/run the horseshoe (Crib Goch / Snowdon / Lliwedd) from Pen y Pass.

Up again from Llanberis with the bike for the Rangers/Telegraph descent.

Have a swim in the lake as well at some point and you’ve got yourself a triathlon 🙂

portlyone

I go up in around 2.5-3 hours, I’m not racing though. I wouldn’t like thinking about going up the Llanberis path again as I descent Telegraph Alley (the BW back to Llanberis from the bottom of Ranger).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘double ascent/ descent of Snowdon?’ is closed to new replies.