Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Dorset Gravel Dash 2015
  • oxym0r0n

So who’s in?

I’m signed up for the 100. 😯

Should be fit enough but no GPS and I am struggling to import the GPX file into OS Maps. Also, can’t get see where to put in the discount code… Anyone managed this so far?

offthebrakes
    Free Member

I’ve been successful with the OS Maps discount code, but the GPX won’t open there. I can open it in Tracklogs, but it isn’t quite right.

I’ve let Charlie know, so he’s aware.

oxym0r0n

Offthebrakes – where did you find the place to put the code in please? Was it after putting card details in?

Condsidering buying a Garmin – anyone successfully put the GPX into Garmin Connect?

offthebrakes
    Free Member

No, you put the code in before payment details. You never get to payment details, because it realises there is no payment required. I can’t tell you exactly where though, as now I’m signed up I won’t see the sign-up process again.

The GPX is faulty I think, so I doubt it will load into any mapping application or GPS device correctly right now. Best to wait until Charlie sends out a fixed version. A valid GPX file will work with Garmin, or anything else that supports GPX (which is most things).

oxym0r0n

Thanks – looks like it’s just the two of us riding then 😳

I tried putting the GPX into a free online viewer and got a route with about 5 loops in it, so that figures. Hopefully Charlie will get it sorted!

majestic

Seems as though there are multiple tracks on the gpx but I’m sure a corrected version will be available shortly

bitasuite
    Free Member

I’m doing the 100 too. Did anyone do it last year? Is it mainly gravel? Trying to decide what tyres to use.

majestic

There is some gravel but not loads, a real mix could be very muddy if it rains lots, but the majority of it will be dry right now

Yak

I did it last year. Can’t make this year’s though.

Anyway, it was a mix of stoney tracks, forest gravel fireroads, some woodsy singletrack, clifftop limestone/soil tracks, a bit of tarmac, some sloppy mud, big puddles, grass… everything really!

I would run a fast rolling xc tyre as the muddy, or potentially muddy bits are far outweighed by the faster/ harder stuff.

It’s a great day out – enjoy it 🙂

bitasuite
    Free Member

Thanks that’s really helpful. I’ll be on a cross bike and might get some knard 41s as my conti cx speeds are rubbish in mud

Yak

iirc it was wetter last year leading up to it, so you should get a decent run. The muddy bit was just before and on the climb to Bulbarrow Hill. It was made worse by a horse sportive type event running at the same time, but the claggy bit was only a mile or so – nothing really in the big scheme of things.

flashes
    Free Member

Did it last year, joint first fixed gear back. Some gravel but a lot of mud and we were up to axles in water for some of it. Brilliant day, enjoy…..

bitasuite
    Free Member

first fixed gear back

😯

soma_rich
    Free Member

I’m in for the 50:50 on my GT Grade I have edited the GPX file if anyone needs one without all Charlies trips to the square and compass included… I used http://www.gpxeditor.co.uk/

oxym0r0n

Tyres… 35mm Racing Ralphs on my >X< so hopefully I won’t die!

Hopefully Charlie will send out an edited route, otherwise soma_rich that would be helpful 😀

Lots of rain today and forecast is showers next week – hope it dries a bit 😥

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Just a plain old 29er MTB for me.

Might put some faster running tyres on it if I can be arsed, probably not though!

Clink

I’m in for the 50:50 on my GT Grade I have edited the GPX file if anyone needs one without all Charlies trips to the square and compass included… I used

Yes please!

soma_rich
    Free Member
    Clink

Ta soma_rich

oxym0r0n

That looks much better! Many thanks, Soma_rich. 😀 😀 😀

Still no joy with importing into the OS Maps site but I think that is a fault with OS 😕

mashiehood
    Free Member

I’m thinking about it but on the website it’s sold out – what’s the 30 quid for?

soma_rich
    Free Member

use http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php to view the route much better than OS IMO.

aP
    Free Member

The £30 is for the time it takes people to organise things, the “refreshments” that have been promised us and the fact that sometimes things just cost.

oxym0r0n

what’s the 30 quid for?

Planning a route, 2 days of pre-riding the route, stickers (there will be stickers won’t there?), backup car, t-shirt, bacon sandwich etc.

aP
    Free Member

Thanks soma_rich, see you there. I’ll be riding a very ugly brown bike.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Charlie sent out another GPX file last night which works fine 🙂

ontor
    Free Member

@flashes

What gearing?

oxym0r0n

Anyone else from STW going? (bump for the weekend)

gee
    Free Member

Yes I’ll be there, hopefully with a working GPS this time.

aP
    Free Member

We’re looking forwards to fish and chips tomorrow evening at The Fish Plaice followed by a pint or two in the Red Lion.

Clink

Yep with singlecrack too.

london_lady
    Free Member

I am not quite sure what to expect of the overnight camping toilet facilities 🙂

The toilet has zero privacy, but a great view, but that works both ways.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I’ll be there 🙂

charliemort

myself and mrs m are having a crack at the sunday route – am busily looking at the map for short cuts!

charliedontsurf

And they are now all out n the trails.

The overnight camp was awesome, but I had to get up and out before 5am and get back to the start.

The £30 is for vat, days and days of pre rides, insurance, back up vehicles, firewood, coffee, , bacon sandwiches at the start. T shirt, stickers, a pub, and you are all now in a cycling club call “gravel grinders UK”, so we (that includes you) have the things in place to put on another event.

flashes
    Free Member

Onto, sorry just noticed your question. 32 X 18 on a 29er….only had to push once and that was just after Old Harry climbing to get on the ridge……

oxym0r0n

What a quality day!

Massive thanks to Charlie and his crew for organising and hosting.
    Thank you to the ti Jones rider who bailed me out with a 3mm Allen key after my disc started rubbing at the bottom of the Corfe descent
    Thanks to Simon for pacing me round the last 5 hours or so.
    Especially well done to Gill for being 3rd fastest on a SS with a bent front wheel!

😀 😀 😀

Oh, and 3 steel bikes in the top 4. Just saying…

aP
    Free Member

Was a great event. The 50:50 was just enough for me. The camp was just right, Charlie’s stew was the best I’ve ever eaten in Dorset, the company was good, the weather, the beer, the mix of riders. Hi to soma-rich, Tom, Steve, Rich (see you at Bristol Bikefest), Kieran for making it round in one piece(!).
    I am sure that the full 100 is something in not going to do though…
    Thanks to Charlie and all the others for putting on a great event (and Sam too!)

Clink

50:50 was great – great riding, fab bivi in the bluebells and great company in the 2nd day. Plenty of pub/cafe stops too!

charliemort

great (long) day out – not often have I heard myself saying “only 40 miles to go”

got round with mrs m (Fargo and Warbird) in a bit under 10 hrs. She went off like a rocket (once a triathlete……..) but was pretty knackered with 30 or miles to go. Thought I was on for a bike chucking tantrum a few times – especially when we got a bit lost in Wareham Forest near that big pile of really smelly poo stuff

having left kids to fend for themselves couldn’t fully partake in post ride activities unfortunately

many thanks to charlie and gang

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Dorset Gravel Dash 2015’ is closed to new replies.