Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Doping in other sports
  • peteimpreza

Federer and Nadal were recently interviewed separately and when asked about drug testing they both replied it would be an invasion of their privacy.

Oh really!!!!!!!!

seb
    Free Member

Another well known fact is that tennis player re-inject their own blood (extracted out of season) after a difficult match.
    Exactly the same as cyclists: spend some time at altitude and fill your blood with oxygen. Extract it and keep it in the fridge.
    Then, when you feel exhausted, put the blood back in your body.

Smee
    Free Member

I know for a fact that there is doping in rowing. I went to uni with a former british record holding rower and can confirm that they weren't clean.

flatback
    Free Member

i had a friend in semi pro cycling living in france who told me that some boys on the team would have to get bigger shoes half way through the season from all the growth hormone they was on!!

spinout
    Free Member

As a Bath resident and Bath rugby supporter we've just been through the grinder losing 5 players this year due to drug allegations (albeit 'recreational' drugs).

One of the interesting aspects of the recent court case was potential confusion between drug taking and anti-doping regulations (e.g. players thinking they didnt have to take certain tests as they weren't specfied by WADA).

clubber
    Free Member

Nice try glupton 😉

NZCol

We talked about this at length during one of our long expedition races. Notwithstanding the fact there is no money at all in adventure racing we hit upon the theory that narcolepsy drugs would be useful to help us keep going 24hrs a day without sleeping. We're not officially bound by WADA rules and I have never heard of any testing whatsoever but we'd definitely all test very positive for beer. And coffee.
    I'd be surprised to hear that any top level athlete in a sport that pays proper money doesn't test the limits af assistance.

Tango-Man
    Free Member

Linky for Dwain Chambers

Have a look at the above link, I still believe that Christing Ohuruogu missed tests because of what is stated in the report above

Smee
    Free Member

Clubber – he is one of the reasons I no longer row.

clubber
    Free Member

I can't really take someone who's clearly a troll seriously can I?

Rowers don't really hold records except for on the rowing machines so that even sounds wrong. And you've never mentioned that you rowed in any of the previous rowing threads on here.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

my understanding is that doping comes from 2 directions

performance, make you go faster etc
    injury recovery, get you back competing asap which may lead to performance doping to get back to the level etc

I would suggest that without a sport having a proper testing regime in and out of competition with a enforced whereabouts system cannot be declared as "clean". Golf, football, rugby, tennis etc are deluding themselves/ deliberately not tackling the issue

I would also suggest that testing should be introduced/ targetted for teenagers competing at a decent level as sports such as football/tennis where kids develop quickly and the "pushy parent" is about.

I to read the Dwain Cambers statement and the statements in the public domian of the investigation into an athlete and came to the same conclusion. Winning with dopers/ athletes who miss testing destroys a sport from the inside, no amount of Gold medals are worth it. It's a shame that the athlete can afford to pay for lawyers more than the governing body

Pigface
    Free Member

Graham Noyce would regularly ride pi55ed in 70's and early 80's not sure if that counts as doping.

tomlevell

No money in rowing?

Tell that to Cracknell, Pinsent, Redgrave.

Not saying they ever used but if you were an up and coming rower the rewards are there if you get gold at the Olympics.

ratnips
    Free Member

While playing amateur rugby league the ephedrine and T5's have been flying around like sweets in some dressing rooms.

I also have a friend at a pro club that is given 7 unbranded supplement's to take each week, every now and again they just get the 1 blue pill and would you know it the drug testers turn up a week later…

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Amphetamines and brandy! Well, it worked for Tom Simpson – oh, come to think of it, it didnt really, did it?

aracer
    Free Member

Not saying they ever used but if you were an up and coming rower the rewards are there if you get gold at the Olympics.

How much money do you think Tim Foster is making (assuming you remember who he is)? Ed Coode, Steve Williams?

tomlevell

Who?

Maybe I should say multiple gold.
    You need a good marketing manager too ;0)

Smee
    Free Member

Clubber – there are records there for set distances in the various events. Never mentioned that I rowed because I became very disillusioned with the sport. 6:30ish for the 2km on the concept 2 at my last attempt, best of around 6:15 a few years back.

peteimpreza

Footballer Dies

Tragic loss for his family and team mates but I have compare this too cycling a few years back when a number of young riders died as a result of EPO abuse.

clubber
    Free Member

Clubber – there are records there for set distances in the various events

no there aren't. 2k is the only distance that any records (at least ones that anyone cares about) are held for since that's the international standard and other times on rivers are so affected by conditions, stream and so on. But obviously you'd know that if you weren't just trolling. It's easy to throw accusations when hiding behind a troll.

aracer
    Free Member

Maybe I should say multiple gold.

Steve Williams does have multiple gold.

Andy Holmes?

Anyway, the point is that rowing is far from being a route to riches – 3 people have made it by marketing themselves outside rowing (though I wouldn't be sure they're all tremendously wealthy – probably not even as well off as a low end premiership footballer).

wheelz
    Free Member

I work in motorsport – MotoGP – and the riders are subjected to random drug testing on an infrequent basis. I seem to remember that our riders, none of whom won a race, were tested twice during the season on average, immediately after a race.

It can be a bit boring sitting with a rider after a race in places like Mugello and Qatar (before it was a night race) watching then consume litres of water as they try desparately to fill the bottle!

To be honest, there wouldn't be much point in performance enhancing drugs in MotoGP, as it's not an endurance sport and the required level of fitness is fairly easy to achieve.

Whether banned substances are used for injury recovery in MotoGP, I don't really know. All I do know is that having had three very injury prone riders, none of them were given any suspicious substances to aid their recovery.

I've also never heard of stem cells being used to aid recovery of broken bones in MotoGP.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Doping in other sports’ is closed to new replies.