Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 268 total)
  • Dope as a pain killer.
  • zippykona

Does anyone has first hand experience of this. My mum has been diagnosed with fibromyalgia along with all her other ailments. The drugs she is on don’t seem to do much so thought a bit of natural may help. Can’t imagine her smoking it so how would it be best administered?
    I’ve never used any drugs but would know someone who knows someone as to supply.

crikey
    Free Member

I would recommend seeing a reliable medical professional first, before getting your mum stoned.

It can be used in chronic pain, but so can lots of other things, with better researched effects, and more reliable dosages…

hexhamstu
    Free Member

All right straight shirt!

Bake it into stuff, brownies cakes what ever. Tried and proven!

captain_bastard
    Free Member

my old next door neighbour was retired from the police force due to injury (back in a car accident), years of pain killers had given him some very un-pleasant side effects – he asked me if i could get him something herbal, which we then baked into treats. Made a massive difference to him

as for knowing someone to supply, ask around friends 😉

flow
    Free Member

I have been using weed for CFS (similar to FM) and its helped me immensely. It chills me out, helps me sleep, and relieves the aching.

Prescription drugs are evil, I was prescribed antidepressants which did more harm than good, the side effects were awful.

Weed is natural with hardly any side effects, although I’m sure that depends on the user, still way less than the crap the doctors give you.

If you can’t see her smoking it, what about a vaporiser? They heat the weed up and you breath in the vapours. Because you aren’t actually burning it, you aren’t inhaling any carcinogens. This is the preferred way to “medicate” in California where they can get weed on prescription.

weirdnumber
    Free Member

I have always found that cannabis can relax muscle and relieve tension which can as a result reduce pain. I have never found it effective as a pain killer. If that makes sense.
    It can be taken in food, brownies and baked goods being the most common, but can be used in other foods. You just need to have the cannabis cooked in oil or alcohol to dissolve the THC.

tazzymtb

Weed is natural, hardly any side effects

The more negative side effects of marijuana intoxication include:
    Nausea
    Short-term memory loss
    Racing heartbeat
    Agitation, anxiety
    Dizziness
    Confusion
    Paranoia
    Depression

just because something is natural, never assume it’s not harmful

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

zippykona – MemberCan’t imagine her smoking it so how would it be best administered?

Volcano

This will vapourise the THC and other cannibanoids below the combustion point of the organic material, making it a much healthier way of ingesting your favourite medicinal herb. You also have fine control over the temperature…lower temps = a lighter, more functional ‘up’ effect and a higher temperature will be a heavier stone. This is relative, depending on strain…speaking if which, there are roughly a bazillion strains out there and their suitability for treating any particular ailment will vary strain to strain and person to person.

flow
    Free Member

The more negative side effects of marijuana intoxication include:
    Nausea
    Short-term memory loss
    Racing heartbeat
    Agitation, anxiety
    Dizziness
    Confusion
    Paranoia
    Depression

just because something is natural, never assume it’s not harmful

Ahhh, so it has all the side effects of coffee then….

You need to look at medical papers, ones from California will probably be more realistic as they use it for medical purposes.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Californian medicinal use of cannabis is hardly going to be an objective set of studies is it? much “medicinal” use is just an excuse to get stoned

Cannabis is not a painkiller.

It may relax muscles and alter the sensation of pain or just mean you don’t give a shit about it but it does not act as a painkiller in any conventional sense.

For teh OP plenty of conventional routes to go down first

swiss01
    Free Member
    elzorillo
    Free Member

It may relax muscles and alter the sensation of pain or just mean you don’t give a shit about it but it does not act as a painkiller in any conventional sense.

You sound convincing.. but you’re totally wrong as usaul.

That doesn’t mean I would ever recommend cannabis, purely due to the proven long term psychotic effects.

flow
    Free Member

Yes it is.

Californian medicinal use of cannabis is hardly going to be an objective set of studies is it?

Why not?

If you want to find out what medical uses there are for it, it kind of makes sense to read papers from countries where it is used for medicinal purposes.

For teh OP plenty of conventional routes to go down first

Just because they are legal and given to you by a doctor, doesn’t mean they are any safer. The companies who make prescription drugs only have one thing in mind, money.

As an example when Valium first came out they said it wasn’t addictive, and (which I’m sure you know) it turned out to be highly addictive. Then when its “replacement” came out, Zoplicone, they said the same about that. Turns out Zoplicone and the “Z drugs” are just as, if not more addictive than benzodiazepines.

You don’t hear of many people in rehab for Cannabis addiction, plenty for benzodiazepines though.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

swiss01 – Member
    ah yes, vaporizers
    http://www.ukcia.org/research/pipes.php

What’s your point, Swiss?

flow
    Free Member
    yunki
    Free Member

I smoked for 20 odd years.. wouldn’t recommend it as a painkiller..

maybe the effects of the drug that fall into the hypnotic spectrum can help displace the pain to a certain degree in some cases..

out of the hundreds of users I knew when I was using.. only a handful remain regular smokers.. most have given up citing the adverse side effects stated above as their main reason..

that said.. it can certainly expand your psychological horizons and encourage you to explore areas of creativity and parts of your psyche that otherwise may have remained undiscovered.. though this process can be unpleasant..

singlespeedstu

You need to look at medical papers, ones from California will probably be more realistic as they use it for medical purposes.

I’d say tazzy has more actual experience with weed than you’ve had hot dinners. 😉

DrP

Weed is natural with hardly any side effects, although I’m sure that depends on the user, still way less than the crap the doctors give you.

Hmmm…..
    Afraid I have to disagree with you there, but will leave it at that.

DrP

kaesae
    Free Member

I have nothing but contempt for modern so called medicine, that focuses so highly on treatment that involves the prescribing of drugs but not on the healing of body or mind.

As long as there are individuals who stand to make a fortune from the sale of such drugs and as long as the drugs are time and time again proven to be harmful when so called clinical studies have shown they are safe, that contempt will remain.

The issue and subject of this thread is the use of cannabis or grass etc as a usefull form of pain management, which it has been proven to be in the case of people suffering from pain.

If those suffering from pain are varifying that it is effective, perhaps that should carry more weight than a bunch of studies carried out by researchers.

No offence gentlemen but this blind adherence to facts and figures that are funded and produced using money that is contributed by third parties is questionable, just as the motives, procedures and findings are also questionable.

This thread has a topic that does not involve products manufactured by multi billion pounds global companies, is there any chance you can set aside your inflexible perspectives and simply stick to the topic ❓

flow
    Free Member

Well said Kaesae

Hmmm…..

DrP

So you can name a more effective painkiller that is as safe to use on a daily basis as Cannabis?

I doubt you can.

DrP

If those suffering from pain are varifying that it is effective, perhaps that should carry more weight than a bunch of studies carried out by researchers.

By the same merit, I would prescribe/suggest mayonnaise to rub onto muscular aches and pains (placebo effect – an effect taken into account massively when conducting studies in clinical trails.)

No offence gentlemen but this blind adherence to facts and figures that are funded and produced using money that is contributed by third parties is questionable, just as the motives, procedures and findings are also questionable.

This is why I’m in my job – I have learnt to critically analyse medical papers and clinical trial conclusions and outcomes, not just believe anything printed in the sunday papers….

DrP

Junkyard
    Free Member

if science has taught us on thing it why we should not listen to subjective accounts of anything but seek objective measures of everything
    How can anyone want anecdote and self report above actual studies done by researchers 😯
    I prescribe a broad spectrum placebo for your ails kaease

Like anything you put into your body it will have effects you want and effects you dont want
    this is as true of cannabis and it is true of prescription drugs or coffee.
    As the former s illegal unfortunately the quality will be far more variable than the later two and the consequence of us far more reaching [ it is illegal you may get done ]

DrP

Well said Kaesae

Hmmm…..

DrP

So you can name a more effective painkiller that is as safe to use on a daily basis as Cannabis?

I doubt you can.

Flow – no offence meant as I’m sure you’re a nice chap, but this is a principle I try to stick to rigidly in life…

Good luck with your problems, but this is where I leave the thread…

DrP

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Cannabis is not a painkiller. Whatever yo may think this is certainly so. It can have a use in the management of chronic pain however the side effects it has are certainly not safe. there is a strong link with psychosis for example.

I am for a very liberal drugs policy and I understand cannabis is less harmful to society than alcohol but it is not without side effects and it is not a painkiller.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I am not sure there is a strong link TJ strong correlation yes but link ?
    The evidence is at best inconclusive- those who experiment with drugs

It is not risk free but strong link..what percentage of users develop psychosis?

Shak47

Volcano is to dry for the throat, plus the bag system is wasteful, better with a Dutch Verdamper if its for medical purposes, or the Vriptech system.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

correlation would be better perhaps yes Junkyard, NO known causal link – 3 hypothesis – trigger, cause, coincidence – none proven.

Certainly a significant number of cannabis users develop psychotic states

Junkyard
    Free Member

What percentage though- not trolling I dont know
    I agree it may well be a trigger and I think it is unlikely to be a cause as i would guess the % amongst users is so low that this would be hard to prove- coincidence again a possibility

I dont think it will help you re your mental health whatever the research proves

crankinirish
    Free Member

I live in Colorado where medical marijuana is also legal. I have a prescription/license to use it for chronic pain. I broke my back and although the bones have healed I still get a lot of pain and the weed helps a lot. The alternatives were oxycodone and percocet, both heavy pain killers that have a lot more dangerous side effects than cannabis.
    I like to smoke it in a little pipe but the dispensaries sell it in all forms imaginable. Tea bags, butter, brownies and cakes. They even have an oil in pill form.
    I would also say that just because you use cannabis does not necessarily mean your stoned out of mind, just like you can have a drink and not be hammered.

kaesae
    Free Member

Simple junkyard, we should try for ourselves and then embrace that which works and reject that which does not.

If sufferers of pain are saying that for them cannabis has worked, but researchers who have never taken it for pain are saying it does not, what logical person would listen to those who have no hands on experience, without varifying the facts for themselves.

In this day and age more weight is given to simulations and research than is given to hands on experience, that is simply madness!

flow
    Free Member

Flow – no offence meant as I’m sure you’re a nice chap, but this is a principle I try to stick to rigidly in life…

Good luck with your problems, but this is where I leave the thread…

DrP

No offence DrP but most of the fools I have met in the past year have been doctors, maybe thats why you can’t answer my question?

Cannabis is not a painkiller. Whatever yo may think this is certainly so. It can have a use in the management of chronic pain however the side effects it has are certainly not safe. there is a strong link with psychosis for example.

I am for a very liberal drugs policy and I understand cannabis is less harmful to society than alcohol but it is not without side effects and it is not a painkiller.

I’m afraid you are totally wrong TJ.

Sativex, one of the many cannabinoid based pharmaceutical drugs is licensed for use with MS to to relieve neuropathic pain, spasticity, overactive bladder, and other symptoms.

It is also licensed for use for cancer pain.

Studies on psychosis are pretty unreliable. They can’t decided if its cannabis that causes it, or if people susceptible to it are drawn to using cannabis.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Ahhh, so it has all the side effects of coffee then….

Well I was wondering where I was getting my confusion and paranoia from ….. thanks for the tip.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Kaesae – actually its about evidence and science. Yes rightly research is given more weight than anecdote. Thats evidence based practice

There is good evidence of it having beneficial effects in a number of chronic conditions.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No flow I am right. As I said earlier

It can have a use in the management of chronic pain

It is not an analgesic – those uses for it are like the way drugs such as amytriptalyne and gabapentin are used in chronic pain. Its subtle and important difference in how it works.

carlosg
    Free Member

A relative uses weed for pain relief and says it has given him more relief than any precription drug he’s been given.

He’s also a non smoker and uses high fat milk (gold top) to absorb the THC from his drugs. Boil the milk and pour into a thermos(type)flask put the weed into the thrmos and leave to steep for at least 1 hour , use in tea or coffee.

dabble
    Free Member

thats a method i’ve not heard of before carlos.

*puts pan of milk on hob*

carlosg
    Free Member

It has to be high fat milk , normal blue top doesn’t have enough fat.
    It doesn’t smell great either ,vegetable(y) milk .

nacho
    Free Member

kaesae, sometimes (Post Office thread) I struggle to understand you, then others like now I very much agree wiht your POV. Of course same as almost any drug it will work better for some than others. For musucalar pain for me it works, however if you come off your bike and cut your head open I don’t think it will have much affect. If it works great, if not don’t use it but you can be certain it is far less harmful to mind and body than a myriad of legal prescription drugs that make some well placed people a LOT of money.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

is weed actually weed these days ?(as in good ol fashion green stuff with seeds) isn’t it all skunk which is rocket juice and cant be good for man nor beast…

what about the legal side?

Junkyard
    Free Member

what logical person would listen to those who have no hands on experience, without varifying the facts for themselves.

In this day and age more weight is given to simulations and research than is given to hands on experience, that is simply madness!
    i suggest you read up on the efficacy of self reported evaluations of whether a treatment is working.
    I suggest you look at why we stopped doing it [ it is unreliable to the point of worthless being the main one.
    For example the placebo effect is more powerful if you inject someone than if they just take a pill…should we trust the opinion even when we know we are giving them nothing?

Anywone who gives a quick glance at subjective reporting will see why it is relatively worthless.
    In medicine, given the placebo effect, this is exacerbated.

Some people will swear by homoeopathy or spiritual healing or exorcism as a cure for their ails. I suppose we give them all equal weight as they did it and ignore the objective research that says these ideas are bunkum….yes anything else would indeed be illogical and madness in these days and ages of enlightenment.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 268 total)

The topic ‘Dope as a pain killer.’ is closed to new replies.