Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Doorstep cold callers asking for direct debit info?
  • Chase
    Free Member

Just had a guy from Save The Children cold call at the door asking for us to set up a direct debit charity payment. Seems a bit suspicious asking for bank details like that.
    Does anybody know if this is the tactics these people are using nowadays or could it be a scam?

Stoner
    Free Member

been all the rage in london for at least 10 years.

perfectly safe and legal. Just cant stand the practice myself. There's a code of conduct for chuggers, they have to tell you what their commission from your DD gift is, if you ask.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yep, same in Bristol – kinda pisses me off tbh. I'm happy to make one off donations but they're bloody mad to get you to sign up all the time.

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

I get hassled by them every day on my way home from work…. Different charities use students to try and get me to give them bank details in the middle of town… In fact they have 4 people stood within 50 mts of each other hitting the same people…

The equivalent of SPAMMING in my book and it does my nut in.

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

deadlydarcy…. you in Bristol are you? send me an email if you are about riding? or if we should go and attack some charity workers??? (strength in numbers).

Chase
    Free Member

Thanks. Sounds like there is no need to contact the Police then.

Trimix
    Free Member

Give them someone elses bank details instead.

CountZero

Get flocks of them here in Chippenham too, and have them at the door. They all get told to politely get lost. Except for the Wiltshire Air Ambulance, which gets no funding, unlike the Police, who share it. If it wasn't for the Parafin Parrot my brother wouldn't have survived a motorbike accident last June.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

bereavementmonkey – I'm kind of off the bike at the moment due to commitments to a boat and the rest of the crew. Springtime should see me back on the bike though.

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

DL… Nice one post up when you are riding again.

Few of us just getting something together for Forest of Dean on Sunday.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

There was a scam going around Stafford a short while back – Cold callers at your door stating you had been paying too much council tax and expecting you to give them your bank details so the 'refund' could be paid in… Love one of them F666kers to knock on my door…

Northwind

The info they take for a DD is no more than you put on a cheque, remember.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

I would not give them a cheque either Northwind…

bigbloke
    Free Member

I tell ALL canvassers and door step callers to go forth and multiply.

If i want something i will sort it out myself.

I even have a sticker in the window right next to the front door saying we do not buy at the oor but it doesn't seem to stop them.

I see all canvassers be it doorstep or telephone as an invasion of privacy.

Should be laws against them.

Oh and those annoying bags that come through at least 2-3 times a month for unwanted clothes etc grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Northwind

Tracker, what I mean is people are really paranoid about giving out these details but nobody thinks twice about writing cheques. I'd still tell doorsteppers to **** off mind, but not because of any security risk 😉

grantway
    Free Member

Right there Stoner
    Had some plonker banging on my front window last night
    But some how was not surprised when I told him where to go!

Pembo
    Free Member

This should do the trick

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Doorstep cold callers asking for direct debit info?’ is closed to new replies.